Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro retail + downgrade rights

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro retail + downgrade rights in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am posting this because I have a problem that I can't seem to solve. So far it has cost me lots of $$$ and lots of time I was a Windows 10 Insider... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by markedward88, Jul 18, 2016.

1. Windows 10 Pro retail + downgrade rights

I am posting this because I have a problem that I can't seem to solve. So far it has cost me lots of $$$ and lots of time
    I was a Windows 10 Insider from 10/14 to 8/15
    I stopped being an Insider when I discovered certain things were going on with Windows 10 analyzing network traffic leaving my laptop even after I disabled all the telemetry that I could safely
    After this happened, I deleted Windows 10 from both my computers
    I left Windows 7 on both my computers and then all of a sudden starting a couple of months ago I had problems begin to manifest and so I reinstalled Windows 7 and couldn't get it to update. I then dumped Windows 7 on 1 computer and installed Linux on it and had a great setup creating a private network between Windows 7 and Linux.
    Then about a couple of weeks ago the same thing began to happen to my other laptop and after trying to clean install Windows 7 3 or more times it would never update. I knew from previous experience that downloading a couple hundred updates and installing them should not take more than an 1-2 hours.
    Fast forwarding I decided to purchase a Windows 10 Pro retail USB thinking I had downgrade rights using the retail key from Windows 10 . It turns out that MS treats those who pay full price can't downgrade period. The purpose of me even being here is that I want to know how to use my Windows 10 retail key to access TechBench to download a fresh copy of Windows 7 otherwise I wasted time and $ because one needs a retail key NOT OEM
    I know this is long winded to say the least but it seems to be the case that in order to to get me to upgrade MS is using all the tricks at its disposal to force upgrades which I will never do until 1/20

Is there a way to solve this
    Thank you

:)

markedward88, Jul 18, 2016

2. Windows 10 downgrade rights

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing
    too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM licenses this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail
    Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

From the end user license agreement:

15. UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is eligible for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use
    the software you upgraded from.

17. TRANSFER TO ANOTHER COMPUTER. a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may transfer the software and install it on another computer for your use. That computer becomes the licensed computer. You may not do so to share this license between
    computers.

Can I uninstall Windows 10 if I do not like it or something goes wrong?

See the following:
    How to: Rollback to a previous version of Windows from Windows 10

Upgrade editions
    We’ll keep you on like-to-like editions of Windows. For instance, if you are using Windows 7 Home Premium, you’ll upgrade to Windows 10 Home.

Windows 7*

From Edition
    To Edition

Windows 7 Starter
    Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Home Basic

Windows 7 Home Premium

Windows 7 Professional
    Windows 10 Pro

Windows 7 Ultimate

Windows 8**

From Edition
    To Edition

Windows Phone 8.1****
    Windows 10 Mobile

Windows 8.1***
    Windows 10 Home

Windows 8.1 Pro
    Windows 10 Pro

Windows 8.1 Pro for Students

*Must be running the latest version of Windows 7 (Service Pack 1) to receive the free upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update.

**Must be running the latest version of Windows 8 (Windows 8.1 Update) to receive the free upgrade to Windows 10 via Windows Update.

*** Also applies to Windows 8.1 country specific editions, Windows 8.1 Single Language, Windows 8.1 with Bing.

****The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier.

“N” and “KN” editions follow the upgrade path of the parent edition (e.g., Windows 7 Professional N upgrades to Windows 10 Pro).

Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer.

Windows 10 System Requirements & Specifications | Microsoft

Andre Da Costa, Jul 18, 2016
  3. I own windows 10 pro and windows 10 home. Can I switch the product keys between the pc's

If both are retail Windows 10 Home and Pro are retail store bought licenses, yes, you can swap them.

If either one is an OEM license, the answer is no.

Only one would be eligible for switching if both are retail.

Windows 10 Pro will not downgrade to Home, but Home will upgrade to Pro if you enter the key.

The system running Windows 10 Pro will need to be downgraded manually.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 18, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows 10 Pro retail + downgrade rights

NavyLCDR, Jul 18, 2016
  5. Thank you for your response.

I already know about that and in order to use that you need a retail key not OEM which is required to access the iso's available there.

markedward88, Jul 19, 2016
  6. Please go to this link
    Windows 7
    Put in your product Key and download it, Burn it on a CD or USB(prefrred) and install it.

manish9009, Jul 19, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you say so. It's not asking me for any product key to download Windows 7 Professional.

NavyLCDR, Jul 19, 2016
  8. Windows 10 Pro retail + downgrade rights

Thank you for your response.

I tried that too; but there you also need a retail key not OEM

I also bookmarked that page along with all the others that I found

The problem overall is one needs a RETAIL key not OEM hence my idea to purchase a retail Windows 10 Pro USB

9. i just tried entering both my keys and got an error message saying that that I needed to contact OEM
    One of the positive experiences of being an insider is that I learned how to do clean installs from iso's and esd's

10. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Jul 19, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    It seems to me you have not tried this link ie you assumed it is the MS site link- it is same as link I refer to in previous post.

This downloader is clever enough to get round the MS oem restriction to download the isos.

cereberus, Jul 19, 2016
  12. Porthos Win User
    "Then about a couple of weeks ago the same thing began to happen to my other laptop and after trying to clean install Windows 7 3 or more times it would never update. I knew from previous experience that downloading a couple hundred updates and installing them should not take more than an 1-2 hours."

It does nowadays unless you jump through hoops.

Porthos, Jul 19, 2016
  13. Windows 10 Pro retail + downgrade rights

Thank you for your responses above

I now have a new problem. I don't have a Windows installation on either one of my laptops now. Both are Linux In order to follow the feedback I need to reinstall Windows to be able to use the links My hesitation is the problems and delays that are being reported at various websites and forums to get around the Windows update situation . My skills are not advanced enough to do workarounds for what might happen and there is no way I am willing to spend 8, 10, 12 hours to do this. If someone is willing to provide the steps necessary to get a working Windows 7 install I am willing to do this. I say this because there have many suggestions given by many people to deal with this situation and what will apply to my situation is not known until I start
    Thank you once again for your feedback some which I didn't even know existed until now. If I can get around all these obstructions I definitely want to try them

14. Mystere Win User
    You confuse me. On one hand, you talk about wanting to control every detail of your OS install, but then you say you don't want to spend any time whatsoever to manage your OS.

If you want control, it takes time. Otherwise, you can only deal with things as they are given to you.

To Answer your question about downgrade rights, Retail licenses do not come with downgrade rights. Only Volume and OEM licenses do.

Downgrade rights for Windows 10 – licensing how-to - Windows 10 - Spiceworks

That article is by a Microsoft Employee

Mystere, Jul 19, 2016
  15. Thank you for your response. My purpose in posting to Windows 10 forum was because I was under the severely mistaken impression that if one had a retail key then one had certain rights. That has turned out to be a mistaken impression. Having said that I am trying to resuscitate my Windows 7 purchase by clean installing Windows 7. Unfortunately for me, Microsoft is obsessed with forcing everyone to adopt Windows 10. I paid for Windows 7 and all I am trying to do is exercise my right to use what I purchased. Since Windows 7 is no longer available all I am trying to do is access what I thought I had a right to until January 2020. By posting here I learned information that I never knew. In order to use this information I need to reinstall Windows 7 but given all the problems I have had updating I am hesitant to do this. The difficulty in updating is intentional in my opinion not accidental . By searching the Internet I have learned that the problem I face is not unique to me but is happening with increasing frequency. What I said before if I have to spend days updating then maybe it is time to move on
    So as I said before if someone can tell what I need to do use what was posted above like the links I am ready I hope this clears up lack of clarity

Thema:

Windows 10 Pro retail + downgrade rights

1. Windows 10 Pro retail + downgrade rights - Similar Threads - Pro retail downgrade

2. Windows 11 Pro to Windows 10 Pro downgrade rights HP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro to Windows 10 Pro downgrade rights HP: Good day,We are currently standardised in our environment on Windows 10 Pro upgraded to Enterprise via M365 E5.Since W10 Enterprise is supported until October 2025, we in our roadmap will start with the upgrade to W11 second half of 2024.However, we just got a notification...
  3. Windows 11 Pro to Windows 10 Pro downgrade rights HP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Pro to Windows 10 Pro downgrade rights HP: Good day,We are currently standardised in our environment on Windows 10 Pro upgraded to Enterprise via M365 E5.Since W10 Enterprise is supported until October 2025, we in our roadmap will start with the upgrade to W11 second half of 2024.However, we just got a notification...
  4. Windows 11 Pro to Windows 10 Pro downgrade rights HP

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Downgrade rights from Windows 10 Pro Education to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Downgrade rights from Windows 10 Pro Education to Windows 10 Pro: Hi All,Would like to check if it is legal to downgrade from Windows 10 Pro Education to Windows 10 Pro?as i bought an used laptop that comes with Windows 10 Pro Edu and would like to change it to Windows 10 ProThanks in advance....
  6. Downgrade rights from Windows 10 Pro Education to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downgrade rights from Windows 10 Pro Education to Windows 10 Pro: Hi All,Would like to check if it is legal to downgrade from Windows 10 Pro Education to Windows 10 Pro?as i bought an used laptop that comes with Windows 10 Pro Edu and would like to change it to Windows 10 ProThanks in advance....
  7. Downgrade rights from Windows 10 Pro Education to Windows 10 Pro

8. Windows 11 Pro GGWA with downgrade rights to to windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro GGWA with downgrade rights to to windows 10: I have Window 11 Pro GGWA licenses with downgrade rights to windows 10. My hardware do not supports Windows 11 and I want to use Windows 11 pro GGWA licenses to install windows 10 on my old laptops. is it possible to do so? is there someone who use Windows 11 GGWA?...
  9. Windows 11 Pro GGWA with downgrade rights to to windows 10

Windows 11 Pro GGWA with downgrade rights to to windows 10: I have Window 11 Pro GGWA licenses with downgrade rights to windows 10. My hardware do not supports Windows 11 and I want to use Windows 11 pro GGWA licenses to install windows 10 on my old laptops. is it possible to do so? is there someone who use Windows 11 GGWA?...
  10. Windows 11 Pro OEM Downgrade right

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro OEM Downgrade right: Hello,I have a question according to downgrade right. I'm buying assembled PC with installed Windows 11 Pro OEM. Is it legal to remove it and install Windows 10 Pro? If yes, how can I do it? I mean how can I get activation key.It's not about rollback. I'm asking is it legal...