Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro running abnormally slow on Lenovo T420

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro running abnormally slow on Lenovo T420 in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Greetings everyone, I am running Windows 10 Pro for almost 2 months now on my Lenovo T420 laptop. It's been running great until a couple of weeks... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by vrod, Nov 11, 2015.

1. vrod Win User

Windows 10 Pro running abnormally slow on Lenovo T420

Greetings everyone,

I am running Windows 10 Pro for almost 2 months now on my Lenovo T420 laptop. It's been running great until a couple of weeks ago where it dived bigtime in performance. I suspected it was a new 3rd party battery (had been running great for a couple of weeks as well), which was the problem. The battery did indeed have a problem and without AC power, the laptop would at last not even start. I took the battery out completely and started the laptop on pure AC power and it worked great for another week. Now, I have the problem again.

Main symptoms:
    - IO 4x less than usual
    - Slow reaction on the entire system
    - Applications open and perform very poor and slow
    - Windows search never opens for example "dxdiag", I have to run this through the "Run" application.

It's running super slow, IO's is 4x of the normal (see attachments). Random IOps have dropped a lot while sequential read/writes is still the same... Task manager is nowhere near busy and I've tried to disable the page file completely. I do have Symantec AV but this is not affecting the performance at all. Tried to run DISM to check for index corruption, all fine. I also suspected the SATA controller (SSD is not bad since I have tested with another one as well, same result) and tried to update the driver, but to no avail.

Would anyone have an idea? This is like having Internet Explorer all plastered over my machine *Sad

Thanks!
    - Chris

:)

2. HawkeyeMT Win User

Windows 10 Trying to Install to Incompatible Lenovo T420

I have a Lenovo T420 with an Intel Core i5-2520M. Lenovo website says this machine cannot run Windows 10 due to incompatible Intel HD Graphics 3000 embedded in the 2520M processor. However, Windows 10 detects the T420 as compatible and keeps trying to install.
    I would like to have Windows 10 and tried the install, but video was erratic, screen goes black & have to reboot to get video back, only to occur again a few minutes later. Lenovo says no fix forthcoming. How do I stop Windows 10 from trying to install on incompatible
    T420 laptop (or better yet, get it to run properly)?

HawkeyeMT, Nov 11, 2015
  3. NO color in Windows 10

I have a Lenovo T420 with Windows 10 Pro. Until the last update 2 days ago, it seemed to be working fine. Now I have NO color in Windows and any apps within it.

Also, Outlook in Office 10 gives me a no display screen, except for calendar reminders, The only way I can get at the email is in safe mode via RUN.

David

DavidWBeard, Nov 11, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Could it be malware using up your resources? Use Malwarebytes Antimalware to find out. If you find too many, you may want to check with a second utility to make sure. I would then use Spybot. No need to go Pro, the free versions should do the job. Delete anything found. Also have a look at your startup programs. Press Win+R to open a Run box and execute msconfig to open System Configuration. Then go to the services tab and check the box to hide all Microsoft services. See the remaining services and uncheck the box to disable any non-important (such as updaters). Then click on the Startup tab, Open Task Manager. See all startup applications and disable any non-important (Skype, QTtask, Java updater etc). You don't need everything to load at startup! You can manually double-click and load the application at any time.

spapakons, Nov 11, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro running abnormally slow on Lenovo T420 - Similar Threads - Pro running abnormally

2. Abnormally Slow Download Speeds

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Abnormally Slow Download Speeds: Recently, my PC has been showing incredibly slow download speeds from fast.com and speedtest.net (~3-4 Mbps). It was fine about a week ago but I have no idea what changed. I usually average anywhere between (~40-70 Mbps). My ping is low (~15ms) and my upload is normal (~36...
  3. Win 10 Pro upgrade on Thinkpad T420

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win 10 Pro upgrade on Thinkpad T420: Question for the hive mind. I have an older Lenovo Thinkpad, Model T420 with an I5 Intel Core. Wondering if anyone has had experience with this model when updating from W10 Pro Ver 1909 to Ver 2004 or even to Ver 20H2. This unit started life as a W7-64 bit unit but has...
  4. my windows 10 is running slow lenovo ideapad s340

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    my windows 10 is running slow lenovo ideapad s340: my windows running too slow lenovo ideapad s340 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-windows-10-is-running-slow-lenovo-ideapad-s340/2883a8ba-8fda-4697-9cf7-4aae225b8092
  5. remove lenovo thinkpad T420 admin

in Windows 10 Customization
    remove lenovo thinkpad T420 admin: administer removing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-admin/631babad-d928-410c-a5e1-69195e6663fa
  6. Lenovo T420 touchscreen

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Lenovo T420 touchscreen: Is it possible to download a driver that will enable touchscreen on my Windows 10? It is not listed under HID Compliant. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/lenovo-t420-touchscreen/d5ec14a1-16b3-40cf-81fb-09334f76c167
  7. Windows.old and Lenovo Recovery on Lenovo T420

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows.old and Lenovo Recovery on Lenovo T420: Hello, I'm using Windows 10 on my T420. I was just wondering if I can still use the Lenovo Recovery partition without the Windows.old folder. If I can't, then that's okay. I'll just keep both. Sincerely, JayBurch1...
  8. Older Lenovo T420 laptop will not boot to Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Older Lenovo T420 laptop will not boot to Windows: I am trying to help out my brother with his old Lenovo T420 laptop. It came with Win7. I upgraded to Win10 back when free upgrades were offered. All went well. Now several years later he asked me to have a look at it because it will not boot to Windows. I tried to repair. I...
  9. WIFI intermittent on a Lenovo T420 upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WIFI intermittent on a Lenovo T420 upgrade Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.: After the upgrade I performed a "Reset this PC" with "Keep my files". Periodically the wifi will die. No networks will appear in the list in the pane which appears when one clicks the icon at the bottom right.The fastest way to fix it is to click the left-most button twice,...
  10. Lenovo Thinkpad T420 clean install after upgrade.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Lenovo Thinkpad T420 clean install after upgrade.: Just purchased a refurbished T420 with win 10 pro updated from win 7 pro, am wanting to do a clean install. Anyone running a T420 on win 10 would appreciate any advice. my only concern is obtaining correct drivers or will windows install them. 87516