Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro set up on Dell Precision M6800

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro set up on Dell Precision M6800 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After using Linux and I reboot into Windows the time is out of wack and I simply have Windows change the time from my default on line time source. OK.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018.

1. topgundcp Win User

Windows 10 Pro set up on Dell Precision M6800

OK. I have Linux Mint installed on a MBR disk and it has its own Boot Manager so I won't get dual boot menu. I seldom use Linux except on occasion I use it to clean up files in Windows, whenever I need to boot Linux, I use the Boot Menu.
    To sync the time between Linux and Windows

• edit /etc/default/rcS
    • add or change the following section
      ​# Set UTC=yes if your hardware clock is set to UTC (GMT)
      UTC=no
    If does not work then try: open a terminal and execute:timedatectl set-local-rtc 1

topgundcp, Apr 4, 2018

2. Hello,
    I recently purchased a refurbished Dell Precision M6800 laptop that currently has one drive installed, a 256GB mSATA SSD. The default set up that Dell uses on this laptop is UEIF Raid, there are other options as well the other one is AHCI as well as a Legacy setting that would allow the installation of I think Windows 7. If I leave this Raid setting and install additional HDs do I actually have to configure them as a Raid? At the moment with the current Raid setting and only the one SSD the boot time is greatly delayed while the Bios is looking for HDs that are already a Raid or that can be configure as a Raid. This laptop along with the mSATA SSD has two additional HD bays and if you buy a HD cady to replace the optical drive will give you the ability of having 3 internal HDs. I am not interested in setting up a Raid array and was wondering if switching to AHCI mode is possible without needing a reinstall of Windows 10 Pro. I know that for earlier versions of Windows if the HD was set up for ATA mode you could edit the registry to enable the switch to AHCI mode without having to reinstalling the OS. If this is possible what do I need to do to accomplish this? I also want to set up this laptop to dual boot with Linux, would switching to AHCI allow this or would I have to switch to Legacy mode?
    Thanks for your help
    Robert

:)

ZophiasDad, Apr 16, 2018
  3. alinoxx Win User
    Wled in 10 got BSOD (blue screen) make laptop really slow

I have laptop Dell Precision M6800

i7 4800 mq , 2.7 ghz

Win 10 pro

Version 1709

OS Build 16299.192

alinoxx, Apr 16, 2018
  4. Chris_602 Win User

Window 10 Upgrade Failure

I have the same error on a dell Precision M6800 no such luck with your fix Windows 10 Pro set up on Dell Precision M6800 :(

Chris_602, Apr 16, 2018
  5. topgundcp Win User
    If I remember correctly. You can switch to AHCI without re-install Windows. Switch to AHCI and try, the worst case is to switch back to RAID.
    Normally, Linux works better using MBR disk type. To install Linux with GPT, you need special instruction on how to in Linux Forum.
    Some UEFI firmware will allow you to boot with either UEFI or Legacy without re-setting BIOS.
    My MB allows to Boot Windows using GPT (UEFI) and Linux installed with MBR disk type, just using the boot menu instead of dual boot.

Always advisable to keep Windows and Linux separate from each other so future upgrade/update with either one will not interfere with each other since each has its own Boot Manager, otherwise, Linux Grub will take over the dual boot process. You would need to physically disconnect Windows disk, install Linux then reconnect.

topgundcp, Apr 16, 2018
  6. hank

Thanks for your reply, I have already tried setting to AHCI and the system cannot find an OS. The version of Linux I use works well with GPT UEFI and the safest way and easiest way I have found to use Linux in a dual boot system is to install it to an external USB or eSATA hard drive. Many distros installers ask where you want the boot loader to be installed (the default is in the root of the C drive) when installing Linux to an external HD I have GRUB installed to that drive. When the HD is plugged in and the BIOS is set to look at USB drives for an OS before looking at the internal HDs GRUB is quickly displayed and if I do not select Windows manually in GRUB Linux will boot normally. If the Linux HD is not plugged in Windows boots normally because nothing has been changed on the Windows install HD. The only issue that I am happy to deal with is the way Linux and Windows handles the system time is different. After using Linux and I reboot into Windows the time is out of wack and I simply have Windows change the time from my default on line time source.
    I think that it may just be easier to do a fresh install of Windows since I haven't been able to find anything about going from Raid to AHCI.

ZophiasDad, Apr 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro set up on Dell Precision M6800 - Similar Threads - Pro set Dell

2. Dell Precision m6700 upgrading to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell Precision m6700 upgrading to Windows 10: Hi, I would like to ask for Dell Precision M6700 users if there's an issue with the device drivers after upgrading it to windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dell-precision-m6700-upgrading-to-windows-10/6d7f0e33-f512-4a39-8cd3-deaadcd13caa
  3. Input Devices factory hardware installed on Dell Precision M6800 on Device Manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Input Devices factory hardware installed on Dell Precision M6800 on Device Manager: Hello Everyone, My name is Kevin Perez. I have the subject of a reoccurring bug on my dell computer. Though this bug may be present on many other laptops as well. You see, I keep typing up various documents. Then at random times, the text, which I have already written is...
  4. KMODE Exception Error - Dell Precision M6800

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    KMODE Exception Error - Dell Precision M6800: Hi everyone, I know this is a common problem and I've been trying to do my best to try and research how to fix it, but I'm getting a KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error every time I start up my Dell Precision M6800. It goes to the desktop screen for about 1 min, and then it...
  5. No Audio on Dell Precision M6800 Since Update to Windows 10 2004

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No Audio on Dell Precision M6800 Since Update to Windows 10 2004: I completed the upgrade from Windows 10 Pro to Windows 10 2004 yesterday. Today, I have no audio regardless of source. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-audio-on-dell-precision-m6800-since-update-to/68a5d63a-cfff-406c-a06b-d93d285e7ecf
  6. Sound does not work after Windows 10 update on Dell Precision M6800

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sound does not work after Windows 10 update on Dell Precision M6800: Why would a Windows 10 update effect the sound driver in a Dell Precision laptop? Not all the time, but every couple times of updates. I've tried different versions of the Realtek driver, but keep going to the one that works from Dell. The version that ends with "6098" I...
  7. dell precision m6800 sound driver always messed up when windows 10 updates why?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    dell precision m6800 sound driver always messed up when windows 10 updates why?: Why would a Windows 10 update effect the sound driver in a Dell Precision laptop? Not all the time, but every couple times of updates. I've tried different versions of the Realtek driver, but keep going to the one that works from Dell. The version that ends with "6098" I...
  8. Dell Precision M6800 very slow and ran out of ideas.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dell Precision M6800 very slow and ran out of ideas.: I got a refurbished computer around two weeks ago and it is an Dell Precision M6800. It was working fine the first few days and then after a while it started getting slower and slower. Now it takes around two minutes for the file manager to open up and it takes like five...
  9. Trouble Setting up new Dell Precision 7730 Laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    Trouble Setting up new Dell Precision 7730 Laptop: Hello, I just purchased a new Dell Precision 7730 laptop. It is really an amazing computer. But, as I tried to set things up today, I ran into a brick wall. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. I have two solid state hard drives. One is 250 GB and the other is 2 TB. When I started...
  10. Dell Precision 5510 - Windows 7 Pro to 10 Pro Upgrade Reset PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dell Precision 5510 - Windows 7 Pro to 10 Pro Upgrade Reset PC: Hi all, My Dell Precision 5510 came with factory installed Windows 7 Pro and I recently upgraded it successfully to Windows 10 Pro. If I want to perform Reset your PC as described here... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...covery-options Which version of Windows I will...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dell m6800 drivers windows 10