Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro Transfer to new machine/owner

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro Transfer to new machine/owner in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have Windows 10 Pro Retail (Upgraded from Win 7 Pro Retail) currently installed in desktop I wish to sell. The issue is that the buyer is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AngelosT, Jan 9, 2016.

1. AngelosT Win User

Windows 10 Pro Transfer to new machine/owner

Hello,
    I have Windows 10 Pro Retail (Upgraded from Win 7 Pro Retail) currently installed in desktop I wish to sell.
    The issue is that the buyer is not interested in purchasing the OS so I will be removing the SSD it is currently installed on.

What is the best way to transfer my ownership of the OS? Windows 10 does not appear to have a serial key as was the case with Win 7?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Angelos

:)

AngelosT, Jan 9, 2016

2. Moving bosses system into another machine.

Is the license transferred from the old machine a retail Windows 10 license?

Also, did you change the machine name after restoring the image so it would not be confused on the network?

Are both machines running the same edition (Pro/Pro or Home/Home)? If the editions do not correspond, then this can result in licensing issues. Learn more:

How to Transfer your Windows 10 License to a New Computer

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-window...

Andre Da Costa, Jan 9, 2016
  3. Transferring Windows licenses / editions between laptops

Well, we don't know if the license on the old laptop is OEM or Retail, so it might have transfer rights.

Even if this is the case, the license on the new laptop is an OEM license, which prevents you swapping with the other machine. If the Windows 10 Pro was upgraded from a retail Windows 8.1 Pro, you would have to remove the license completely from that machine,
    then use the Windows 8.1 Pro license to activate Windows 10 Pro on the new laptop.

Learn more:

How to Transfer your Windows 10 License to a New Computer

Andre Da Costa, Jan 9, 2016
  4. Superfly Win User

Digital entitlement assumes the upgrade key's EULA - The generic Win10 key being retail is a mere convenience.

Retail remains retail (transferable)
    OEM remains OEM (non-transferable)

PS: That means you can pop your SSD into a new machine and activate it with Win 7 Retail.

Superfly, Jan 9, 2016
  5. cereberus Win User
    This raises an interesting question.

The Seller certainly complies with EULA if he reinstalls 10 on a new pc, and activates it using a 7 retail key, if he removes ssd from old pc. The EULA just states you have to remove windows 10 from old pc, nothing about deactivation etc.

However, if buyer of old pc was later to put a blank drive in and clean install windows 10, it would probably activate due to the previous digital entitlement, as far as I can see. I am not suggesting new buyer is necessarily attempting to do anything illegal e.g. he could be just be trying windows 10 on a trial basis, and is surprised when it activates.

Common sense dictates that this cannot be correct, but how can this be prevented unless MS can detect this (perhaps they can?) and automatically deactivate, or provide a mechanism so user can formally deactivate, the original digital entitlement?

cereberus, Jan 9, 2016
  6. Superfly Win User
    It is an interesting question - I think digital entitlement is still a grey area that may need a separate EULA

A method (like MSA activations) where the sold PC is removed from your devices and subsequently deactivated may help as well.

Superfly, Jan 10, 2016
  7. AngelosT Win User
    Thanks for the answers.
    Some interesting scenarios here but I guess this is not all too common and shouldn't affect MS in any material way.

AngelosT, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro Transfer to new machine/owner - Similar Threads - Pro Transfer machine

2. transferring a pro upgrade from an old windows 10 machine to a new windows 11 machine.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    transferring a pro upgrade from an old windows 10 machine to a new windows 11 machine.: i just purchased a new pc with windows 11 home. my old pc used windows 10 home that i upgraded with a digital license to pro. i can see the evidence of the pro upgrade in my windows account. how do i transfer the pro upgrade from my old windows 10 machine to my new windows 11...
  3. transfer windows 10 pro to another machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    transfer windows 10 pro to another machine: Hi! I purchased Windows 10 Pro less than a year ago, but now I no longer have access to my old Alienware laptop to uninstall it there. How can I install W Pro to my new machine?...
  4. Windows 10 Pro License -- transferring it to a new machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Pro License -- transferring it to a new machine: hi Some years ago, I purchased a Surface Pro 4 (SP4). Then upgraded from the Home edition to the Pro edition through the Activation settings. Now I got a new device with Windows 10 Home, and want to sell the SP4. How can I remove my Windows 10 Pro license from the SP4 and...
  5. Can I transfer a windows 10 pro upgrade to a new machine?

Can I transfer a windows 10 pro upgrade to a new machine?: Hi, I am about to buy a new windows 10 desktop machine and have the option to purchase with Home or Professional. I already have a professional upgrade licence for my current machine. This was bought recently from the Windows store March 2020. My question is, if I...
  6. Will Windows 10 Pro License Key Transfer to new Owner?

Will Windows 10 Pro License Key Transfer to new Owner?: I have system that I upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro through the Microsoft OS upgrade process. (The Home license was Retail and not OEM.) So I believe the Pro license is associated to my Microsoft account. I want to sell the system and transfer all rights...
  7. Transfer Windows OS to new owner.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer Windows OS to new owner.: I want to gift a PC to another person. How do I transfer the OS software to the new owner? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/transfer-windows-os-to-new-owner/8a32b790-e473-408f-a2d2-0bcc2ad44733
  8. Transfer Office 365 license that came with machine to new owner

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Transfer Office 365 license that came with machine to new owner: In March 2019 I bought a Trekstor Surfbook that came with a 2 year license for Office 365. This license is listed in my Microsoft account as being valid until March 2021. Now I am selling the machine and I would like to transfer the Office 365 license to the new owner. Can...
  9. Transfer owners of Windows 10 machine

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Transfer owners of Windows 10 machine: I have a problem with a small company that has been sold. All six machines in the office were first created with the boss's personal email account. He sold the company but the Microsoft account used by Windows 10 belongs to the old boss. How do we change the Microsoft...
  10. Windows 10 Pro license transfer to new owner

Windows 10 Pro license transfer to new owner: I have a Samsung laptop with OEM Windows 10 Home installed originally. I upgraded via MS Store to Windows 10 Pro on this same PC. I used my Outlook.com ID for install/managing the PC. I now want to sell the PC. It will be reset to factory, which is Windows 10 Home. How...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 transfer to new owner