Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro Update To v1803 Fails

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro Update To v1803 Fails in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have two PCs, both Dell Precision 490 workstations, but with slightly different hardware configurations. My wife’s PC has only 2 disks (one SSD and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by BobRJP, Jul 16, 2018.

1. BobRJP Win User

Windows 10 Pro Update To v1803 Fails

I have two PCs, both Dell Precision 490 workstations, but with slightly different hardware configurations. My wife’s PC has only 2 disks (one SSD and one HDD) and 4GB of memory. My PC has 3 disks (2 SSDs and one HDD) and 16GB of memory and a webcam. Both were running the same version of Windows 10 v16299.492 prior to the last “patch tuesday”. The rest of the software on each PC is identical on each machine - Office 365, Kaspersky etc.

On 11th july both PCs showed the v1803 feature update in windows update for the first time along with a flash security patch KB4338832 and the regular monthly malicious software scan update. On my wifes PC all the installations succeeded and she now has v1803 up and running just fine - everything seems to work.

On my PC however the windows v1803 update installation failed and continues to fail every time if i retry it. It gets to the restart after the install phase and says “Restarting” after a few seconds it says something like “Configuring windows updates” and then displays a percentage completion which runs from 0% upto 33% each time and then stops (on my wifes PC this ran through to 100%). After hanging on 33% complete for a while the PC restarts, but has reverted to the old windows version.

i have tried numerous things to try and get the windows update based installation to work:-
    1. I have run DISM restore health and SFC scannow and both report no errors
    2. I have tried first disabling and then uninstalling kasperky - no luck
    3. I have run windows update after a clean boot - no luck
    4. Each time i have deleted the c:\windows\softwaredistribution first just in case it is corrupt - no luck
    5. I have tried doing the installation from different accounts (all admin accounts) - no luck.

Finally i have used the media creation tool to create a DVD containing the windows 10 ISO and tried doing a repair install. This also fails with an error message saying “The installation failed in the DOWNLEVEL phase with an error during the PREPARE_FIRST_BOOT operation”. Again it reverts to the old windows version and gives the error message “Installation Failed” after you login.

I have Windows 10 Pro and i have used the advanced facilities to disable major feature updates while permitting security and other minor updates. As a result my PC has now successfully installed a new cumulative update KB4338825 which has taken the OS version to 16299.547. But i am no closer to being able to install v1803.

Now i know i could probably do a clean install from my Windows 10 ISO on DVD, but i really dont want the aggravation of reinstalling and configuring 10 or 15 different software packages……..

Any help with getting the installation to work would be much appreciated. It has to be some fault in the script that runs to do the installation prior to restart which I think is failing due to some unforeseen condition on my PC. Its all really strange given that my wifes PC is ALMOST identical and the installation worked fine on her PC.

Regards

Bob

:)

BobRJP, Jul 16, 2018

2. Windows 10 fails to update

When you finish testing the Avast suggestion, make sure that you restart your machine.

Then if the issue persists, please return to the trouble shooting list in post# 89

I think there are three steps that remain; the WU troubleshooter, reset WU components, and manual WU reset.

Slartybart, Jul 16, 2018
  3. jds21 Win User
    Windows Updates failed to instal

I just did step one and they have just all installed.... thank you so much.... it was quite frustrating having that update window pop up every 5 minutes and failing to instal every time

Thanks mate

jds21, Jul 16, 2018
  4. AsRock Win User

Windows Updates failed to instal

I'm not sure how differant XP media center Edition is but you could clear the history \ cache if these folders are there.

Step 1 Register DLL files.

=================

By trying this step, we can check if the update engines are working properly.

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start and Run, type "Regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.

Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll

3. Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

Regsvr32 msxml3.dll

Regsvr32 wuapi.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

Regsvr32 wuaueng1.dll

Regsvr32 wups2.dll

Regsvr32 wucltui.dll

Regsvr32 wups.dll

Regsvr32 wuweb.dll

Regsvr32 qmgr.dll

Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

Note: If you encounter errors while registering any of these files then skip that file and continue with the next one.

If the issue persists, let's move on to the steps below to verify Windows Update services and temporary folders.

Step 2 Verify the relevant Windows Update services.

=========================================

1. Click Start->Run, type "services.msc" (without quotation marks) in the open box and click OK.

2. Double click the service "Automatic Updates".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account" is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic" or "Manual". Then please click the button "Stop" under "Service Status" to stop the service.

6. Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the service.

7. Please repeat the above steps with the other services:

Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Event Log

Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

Note: Event log service is enabled on all of the hardware profiles; this service does not have an option to enable or disable on certain hardware profile.

If it still does not help, let's proceed to step 3.

Step 3 Reload the Update temporary folders.

===================================

One possible cause is that the temporary folder for Windows Update is containing corrupted files. Let's erase all the files there to get the system clean.

1. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net stop WuAuServ

2. Click Start, Run, type: %windir% and press Enter.

3. In the opened folder, rename the folder SoftwareDistribution to Sdold.

4. Click Start, Run, type: cmd and press Enter. Please run the following command in the opened window.

Net start WuAuServ

Please test the Windows Update website and let me know the result. If the issue persists, to clarify the issue and provide more accurate troubleshooting steps, please assist me in collecting the following information.

AsRock, Jul 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro Update To v1803 Fails - Similar Threads - Pro Update v1803

2. Windows 10 v1803 cant update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 v1803 cant update: Hi everyone,I have a pc with windows 10 version 1803 which I have not used in about 2 years. I am trying to update it now but its not allowing me to do so. I cannot access services and get a mme.exe application error. I tried a few different things including the following but...
  3. Windows 10 v1803 cant update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 v1803 cant update: Hi everyone,I have a pc with windows 10 version 1803 which I have not used in about 2 years. I am trying to update it now but its not allowing me to do so. I cannot access services and get a mme.exe application error. I tried a few different things including the following but...
  4. Windows 10 v1803 cant update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 10 pro update fail

Windows 10 pro update fail: there were some problems installing updates,but we'll try again later.If you keep seeing this and want to seach the web or contact support for information,this may help:0x800705b9. How can I Fix it?...
  6. Windows 10 v1803 update

Windows 10 v1803 update: I updated my windows 10 from 1703 to 1803 I found some problems so I rolled back to 1703 if I want to upgrade it again later what should I do ? Update stuck on needs restart to be install...
  7. Problems after sysprep Windows 10 Pro v1803

Problems after sysprep Windows 10 Pro v1803: Windows 10 Pro v1803 After running sysprep and rebooted i get " Windows could not finish configuring the system. To attempt to resume configuration, restart the computer" and obviously restarting did not fix the issue. So i pulled the log file from...
  8. Windows update V1803

Windows update V1803: Hi, For a number of months I have been prompted to update to V1803. When doing his update I always got the blue screen of death - showing a driver problem. Updating all drivers has not solved this problem and the update will always revert back to previous version of Windows....
  9. Windows 10 pro v1803... accidentally erased winre.rim

Windows 10 pro v1803... accidentally erased winre.rim: Hi I am running Windows 10 pro v1803 I erased the winre.wim locates in the system32/recovery Is it possible for someone to send me a copy? Is This used just to boot into the recovery environment?? Thank you! 111845
  10. Failed updates in windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Failed updates in windows 10 pro: Hello, I have 4 updates that I cannot install and after trying to redownload them (deleting the files already downloaded) and the registry ...nothing. How can I install this updates? [img] I am having problems with Micrososft Visual Redistributable C++ 2005 and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 17631.1002.rs_onecore_ens.180320-1822 (uup-ctv2)

2. 0x80004005 - 0x1000A The installation failed in the DOWNLEVEL phasewith an error during PREPARE_FIRST_BOOToperation

3. windows cant upgrade to v1803

4. windows 10 version 16299 upgrde failure to v1803,
  5. 0x0004005-0x1000a,
  6. 0x1000a,
  7. windows 10 v1803 cannot pass first boot,
  8. 17631.1002.rs_onecore_ens.180320-1822 (UUP-CTv2) failed to install on 8/3/2018,
  9. 0x80004005 - 0x1000A DOWNLEVEL PREPARE_FIRST_BOOT,
  10. download 17631.1002.rs_onecore_ens.180320-1822 (UUP-CTv2),
  11. co to jest 17631.1002