Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro will not activate

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro will not activate in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi everyone! I'm in a bit of trouble, my Windows 10 will not activate. Before Win 10 my laptop was running Windows 7 Professional, (legal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by NickyNails, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Pro will not activate

Hi everyone!

I'm in a bit of trouble, my Windows 10 will not activate.

Before Win 10 my laptop was running Windows 7 Professional, (legal license offcourse), when Windows 10 was released i performed the upgrade through Windows Update. The installation went smoothly and Windows 10 installed and activated like it should.

After this i wanted to perform a clean install, so i removed all partitions and completely reïnstalled Windows 10 using the media creation tool. Once again Windows activated like it was supposed to.

Recently i have to sometimes work in Linux for school, so i decided to set up a dual boot system. I messed up my first attempt, so i decided to start from scratch and successfully set-up Windows 10 and Linux Mint alongside eachother.

For some reason Windows 10 Pro will not activate and it gives me the well known Errorcode: 0xC004C003

I no longer have the Windows 7 Pro key, the sticker on the bottom of my laptop came off and i thought i had kept it in a safe place but i can't find it anymore.

So i went to microsoft.com and chatted with a nice support tech, explained my situation like i've done so in this post, and he tells me he needs a Windows 7 license key..

I was under the impression that once you've performed a successfull upgrade to Windows 10 (with a successfull activation), a unique code is generated based on the hardware in your system so in the future no codes are required to activate Windows?

Now this tech guy says without a Windows 7 key he can't help me, while i have already performed 2 Windows 10 installs that both activated :S This is so confusing and contradicting to me. Has anyone experienced similar problems?
    What am i supposed to do now? Go out and purchase a license key to activate my OS, which previously activated without a problem?

:)

NickyNails, Oct 30, 2015
  2. Alex_703 Win User

Windows-10-Pro will not activate ?

Hello,

I installed Windows-10-Pro when microsoft was offering it as a FREE upgrade for all Windows-8 and Windows-7-Pro users.

I recently had to reinstall Windows-10-pro on my HP pavilion laptop however now it will not activate.

I use the microsoft windows media tool to create the newest Windows-10 install USB flash drive.

Install went fine however now it will not active in Windows-10-Pro ?

I thought that once you performed the FREE upgrade from Windows-8 to Windows-10 your computer would be registered forever with

Microsoft activation servers.

Is my computer registered with microsoft activation servers or do I need to purchase a NEW license key ?

Alex_703, Oct 30, 2015
  3. Windows-10-Pro will not activate ?

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft
    Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate.
    You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key
    you already ownto reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

Windows 8.0, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 came preinstalled on my computer, how do I find the product key?

Press Windows key + X

Click Command Prompt (admin)

Enter the following command:

wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Hit Enter

The product key will be revealed, copy the product key then enter it

Click Start > Settings > Update & security
    > Activation > Change the product key then enter the new product key then click
    Next to Activate

If you are unable to activate Windows 10 after all the above and you are certain you have the correct edition installed, then please attempt phone activation:

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Andre Da Costa, Oct 30, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows 10 Pro will not activate

Did you make any backups of your computer when running Windows 7?

NavyLCDR, Oct 30, 2015
  5. No i didn't, from now on i'll take making back-ups more seriously *Smile

I just spent over an hour chatting with a Microsoft Support Agent, unlike his co-worker who i mentioned talking to earlier, really went the extra mile for me.

I explained to him i had lost my Windows 7 Pro license key that came with my laptop, and he asked me if i had an invoice for my laptop and if so to open it up on my desktop, he then took over my laptop remotely, viewed the invoice and executed some commands in a DOS prompt, and uploaded what i could glimpse a system profile to a MS server.

Then he said he showed the invoice to his superior, and if it was alright with me to wait 5 to 10 minute while he would talk to his superior. When he was done talking to his boss he said MS would give me a Win 10 Pro product key. With the remote control still running he activated my OS and gave me the new product key.

While i'm not a huge fan of MS, i certainly didn't expect this!

NickyNails, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Pro will not activate

1. Windows 10 Pro will not activate - Similar Threads - Pro activate

2. windows 11 Pro Box activation problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 Pro Box activation problem: I have a problem with the activation of windows 11 pro BOX version https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-pro-box-activation-problem/d2bdc854-aad1-43cf-87d9-3dff99fc1942
  3. windows 11 Pro Box activation problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 11 Pro Box activation problem: I have a problem with the activation of windows 11 pro BOX version https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-pro-box-activation-problem/d2bdc854-aad1-43cf-87d9-3dff99fc1942
  4. Need help activating with either activating Windows 11 Home, changing a Windows 11 Pro...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need help activating with either activating Windows 11 Home, changing a Windows 11 Pro...: Hello,I've had the worst time trying to activate Windows 11. I upgraded from Windows 10 Education to Windows 11 Education. I didn't have the Windows Education key anymore so I bought a Windows 11 Home key. It turns out you can't use a Windows 11 Home key to activate a Windows...
  5. Need help activating with either activating Windows 11 Home, changing a Windows 11 Pro...

Need help activating with either activating Windows 11 Home, changing a Windows 11 Pro...: Hello,I've had the worst time trying to activate Windows 11. I upgraded from Windows 10 Education to Windows 11 Education. I didn't have the Windows Education key anymore so I bought a Windows 11 Home key. It turns out you can't use a Windows 11 Home key to activate a Windows...
  6. Using Windows 11 Pro Key to Activate Windows 10 Pro 32 Bit

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using Windows 11 Pro Key to Activate Windows 10 Pro 32 Bit: Hello. I recently started work with a company that builds and services computer systems used in flight simulation. We are a small business less than 5 employees so I am not sure if any of the Volume Licensing programs would be open to us. Onto the issue at hand. Many of the...
  7. Using Windows 11 Pro Key to Activate Windows 10 Pro 32 Bit

Using Windows 11 Pro Key to Activate Windows 10 Pro 32 Bit: Hello. I recently started work with a company that builds and services computer systems used in flight simulation. We are a small business less than 5 employees so I am not sure if any of the Volume Licensing programs would be open to us. Onto the issue at hand. Many of the...
  8. Using Windows 11 Pro Key to Activate Windows 10 Pro 32 Bit

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  9. Can't activate Windows 10 Pro purchased from Microsoft Store

Can't activate Windows 10 Pro purchased from Microsoft Store: I installed W10Pro on a new PC using USB installation media.Was prompted to activate Windows and sent to the microsoft store to purchase a license.I purchased a license for W10Pro.I didn't get an activation key so I can't use the cmdprompt solution posted on the forums.I...
  10. my order history does not show activation key for windows 10 pro

my order history does not show activation key for windows 10 pro: my order history does not show activation key for windows 10 pro https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-order-history-does-not-show-activation-key-for/dd0ea073-102b-4945-b0db-8115d40de0cf

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 pro will not activate