Windows 10: Windows 10 Pro won't detect hard drive, need drivers??

Discus and support Windows 10 Pro won't detect hard drive, need drivers?? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; hey all, I have an HP G42-154CA that I'm trying to get Windows 10 Pro installed on. http://support.hp.com/ca-en/product/...ent/c02105098/... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Matt26, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Matt26 Win User

Windows 10 Pro won't detect hard drive, need drivers??

hey all,

I have an HP G42-154CA that I'm trying to get Windows 10 Pro installed on.

http://support.hp.com/ca-en/product/...ent/c02105098/

I ran into an issue with the installation disc not detecting the hard drive (ie, no hard drive is listed when the screen appears to select the hard drive to install Windows on).

I've tried various drivers (latest from HP and Intel website, OEM OS installation discs etc) with no luck.. at the very least, the Windows 7 driver from HP's website for that laptop should work for installing Windows 7- same results, does not detect hard drive.

At this point I'm wondering if maybe it's a BIOS setting that's causing this? I don't recall changing anything in the BIOS when I last installed Windows (which was v8), but it was awhile ago, so can't be certain.

Anyone know what's causing this?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

:)

Matt26, Oct 29, 2015

2. windows 10 professional not finding one of two internal hard drives

The computer that I just reported the above the file explorer does not detect one of the internal hard drives but diskpart list disk does:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.14393]

(c) 2016 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.14393.0

Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation.

On computer: A-HP

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt

-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---

Disk 0 Online 238 GB 0 B

Disk 1 Online 931 GB 0 B

Disk 2 Online 931 GB 931 GB

DISKPART>

Disk Management displays:

disk 0 basic 238.47 GB online

system 1.00 GB NTFS

Windows (CWindows 10 Pro won't detect hard drive, need drivers?? :) 220.13 GB NTFS

HP_RECOVERY (DWindows 10 Pro won't detect hard drive, need drivers?? :) 15.34 GB NTFS

HP_TOOLS (FWindows 10 Pro won't detect hard drive, need drivers?? :) 2.00 GB FAT32

disk 1 basic 931.51 GB online

datadrive0 (GWindows 10 Pro won't detect hard drive, need drivers?? :)

931.54 GB NTFS

disk 2 basic 931.51 GB online

931.51 GB Unallocated

CD-ROM 0

DVD (EWindows 10 Pro won't detect hard drive, need drivers?? :)

no media

So on this computer all currrent drives are detected by windows 10 pro when using diskpart, list disk and disk management but not file explorer.

Then when one of the internal hard drives is replaced by another internal hard drive full of data this drive was not detected by windows by any of the above methods and only detected by the bios.

Then with another identical computer the two internal hard drives that were originally detected by this computer were not detected. Only one of the internal hard drives was detected.

So what is being detected is different depending on the internal hard drive and the computer.

How come each drive that is detected in one computer is not detected in another identical computer?

And how come an internal hard drive which is used in another computer cannot be detected in two computers?

All internal hard drives that have data either have only files or the windows 10 pro os and files.

How come there are different findings with windows 10 pro?

How do you get all of the computers windows 10 pro operating systems to discover the internal hard drives that are detected by their bios?

questions_, Oct 29, 2015
  3. EliteARO Win User
    Windows 10 clean install unable to detect hard drive URGENT

Ok so hey all I am in dire need of help recently reformatted my entire hard drive and I'm trying to clean install of Windows 10 Pro, the install runs fine but when I try to select a hard drive nothing appears and I get the little "Windows needs drivers to
    select or install on a hard drive" (something along those lines) I have never had this issue and others are saying my drive is configured right. So if someone could please point me in the right direction or tell me how to do it via diskpart if possible or
    some other tool, thank you very much.

To sum it up

-Blank HD no partitioning

-Win 10 on USB

-Setup won't detect hard drive

-HELP

This PC has had Windows installed on it before, and I know my Bios is configured properly.

EliteARO, Oct 29, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Is the disk connected on a RAID controller? Then you probably need drivers for Windows to install the RAID controller and then detect the disk. Look at the manufacturer's site for anything along the words RAID, SATA etc. Download it and extract it to a folder of a USB Flash drive. During installation, when no disks are detected you should be given the option to plug the USB drive and browse for drivers there. Do that, browse to the folder where you extracted the drivers and then Windows should be able to detect the disk.

spapakons, Oct 29, 2015
  5. Matt26 Win User
    did that, tried both the latest drivers from HP and Intel websites, including every version available when you use the load driver/browse option from the installation disc.

i don't think the storage controller is RAID capable, but if you look at the HP link i originally posted for the laptop specs, they don't really give details at that level. either way, i've tried what's available..

i know there's some kind of hard disk mode/setting in some BIOS setups that determines how the hard drive is detected, something like that? wondering if maybe that's it.. don't recall changing anything like that when i installed Windows 8, but again that was awhile ago.

Matt26, Oct 29, 2015
  6. essenbe Win User
    Go into BIOS and see what your Sata Controller is set to (IDE, AHCI or Raid) if it is set to Raid, there is a raid driver you have to install during setup to allow the installer to 'see' the drives. While there, see if BIOS sees the drive.

How did you try the installation? Do you have Windows 7 installed now?

essenbe, Oct 29, 2015
  7. Matt26 Win User
    assuming the controller is set to RAID in the BIOS, i've already tried the latest RAID driver from Intel's website; HP only provides a Windows 7 driver, which i've also tried, but i'll certainly check to see what it's set to.

hard drive is currently blank/wiped, trying to install clean from Windows 10 Pro installation disc.. i had Windows 8 installed on the same hardware up until a few days ago, then i wiped the hard drive to prepare for a clean install of Windows 10. also tried installing Windows 7 as a test- same results, OS disc won't detect the hard drive.

Matt26, Oct 29, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Have you checked the BIOS to see what mode the disk controller is set to?

NavyLCDR, Oct 29, 2015
  9. essenbe Win User
    If you only have 1 hard drive, I know of no reason it should be set to Raid, unless you have a small SSD for a cache. But your system specs from the link you gave does not list one.

essenbe, Oct 29, 2015
  10. spapakons Win User
    Set the disk to AHCI. If it is still not detected, set it to legacy IDE mode. Disconnect the cables from the disk, leave it off for a few minutes and connect it again. Any static electricity should discharge and the disk should be detected again.

spapakons, Oct 29, 2015
  11. Matt26 Win User
    Figured it out.. discovered that the disk wipe method used in parted magic makes a difference.

You can do secure (just writes 0's to the drive) or enhanced wipe (writes predetermined patters to the drive set by manufacturer), I first tried enhanced, then tried again with secure- voila! Didn't realize that Windows has an issue with different wipe methods.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Matt26, Dec 3, 2015
  12. essenbe Win User
    Glad you have it working right.

essenbe, Dec 3, 2015
  13. Matt26 Win User

me too *Smile the little things...

Matt26, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Pro won't detect hard drive, need drivers?? - Similar Threads - Pro won't detect

2. hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard drive not detected: hard drive not detected https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-not-detected/48576ba9-4421-4ddc-b6dc-3473fea08eee
  3. hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    hard drive not detected: hard drive not detected https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-not-detected/48576ba9-4421-4ddc-b6dc-3473fea08eee
  4. hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Hard drive not being detected by Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard drive not being detected by Windows 10: I have a second internal hard drive installed on my PC but, after I had formatted it, I find that it is no longer being detected in both Disk Management and File Explorer. The drive is virtually new and previously it was working fine. I therefor cannot understand why it is no...
  6. Hard drive not being detected by Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive not being detected by Windows 10: I have a second internal hard drive installed on my PC but, after I had formatted it, I find that it is no longer being detected in both Disk Management and File Explorer. The drive is virtually new and previously it was working fine. I therefor cannot understand why it is no...
  7. Hard Drive Not Detected in Windows 10 Installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard Drive Not Detected in Windows 10 Installation: Recently I installed Linux Mint on my PC. Now I'm trying to come back in Windows 10 but whenever I go to Windows Installation page I see a error message " a required CD/DVD is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now "I...
  8. Windows 10 won't detect my external hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 won't detect my external hard drive: Hi all, I've run into a problem with my Windows 10 laptop where for some reason it just stopped recognizing my external hard drive for some reason. I was doing some stuff for work, accessing the necessary files from my hard drive. Due to the small number of USB ports on...
  9. Hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive not detected: What could be the possible reason that my external hard drive is not appearing on the pc bios screen but working with my mobile? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-not-detected/6757b01a-2bbc-48d4-a3f3-b128115ee10f"
  10. Windows 10 install hard drive not detected

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 install hard drive not detected: My computer recently shut down, and when I tried to reboot it it took me to the "boot device not found" screen. I've been trying pretty much everything to reinstall windows 10, but nothing has worked, either the computer reboots or it gets as far into windows installation as...