Windows 10: Windows 10 Product Key?

Discus and support Windows 10 Product Key? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; First off, I know I don't need one to upgrade. However, at some future time I may want to wipe my PC and re-install, perhaps with a new motherboard,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by nigelmercier, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Product Key?

First off, I know I don't need one to upgrade. However, at some future time I may want to wipe my PC and re-install, perhaps with a new motherboard, and I really don't want to go via Windows 7 if possible.

Although I can't get my copy to Activate at the moment (I guess the server is a bit busy!) I did notice that the Activation window gave me the last few digits of a Product Key.

I searched in RegEdit for these digits and found an entry named BackupProductKeyDefault*. Will this key work to do a clean install on a modified system?

* In [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SoftwareProtectionPlatform]

:)

nigelmercier, Jul 28, 2015

2. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so i figured it out myself

Found the logfile in "C:\Windows\Minidump".

You need the Windows Development Kit to open it and a bit of googling to understand it.

Found out that a Daemon driver caused an error. Removed Daemon but this didn't solve it. (ps: Daemon itself worked normally).

I let hibernate my computer again and found another error with sptd2.sys: SCSI Pass Through Direct layer

More google and ended up on the duplexsecure site. Downloaded the W10 version and voila: problem fixed.

For the Windows support team: It would be really helpfull if you could pass problems to a more skilled helpdesk who can do more than proposing the standard solutions in case those won't work.

Cheers

windows-10, Jul 28, 2015
  3. Windows 10 Unexpected shutdown on start up

OK, so I also found out that this occurs when sleepmode (for me after 3 hours) changes into hibernate mode.

Seems like the going into hibernate and/or starting up from HIbernate results in a shutdown. In safeboot it works perfectly.

Anyone any idea how I can figure out where it goes wrong. Is there a way to log this (I couldn't find it in bootlog)

windows-10, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 Product Key?

Brink, Jul 28, 2015
  5. Thanks Brink, but I'd still like to know if the Product Key is valid.

nigelmercier, Jul 29, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    You cannot use the upgraded product key to install Windows 10 clean.

You must first upgrade a copy of Windows 7/8.1 on the machine you want to clean install on. Then, you can wipe the upgraded copy and reinstall, skipping any prompts for keys (there's a skip link). It will automatically activate if you have previously upgraded on that same machine.

There is no way to to upgrade on a new machine without first going through an upgrade of an old OS, If it bothers you enough then you will have to buy a new license for Windows 10. (most people would rather save the money). It's just the cost of getting a free upgrade, jumping through a few hoops.

Mystere, Jul 29, 2015
  7. I did just that and it used the generic 10 key and told me it was a black listed and blocked key and that I need to buy one. So yeah this doesn't work,

RECONBunny, Jul 29, 2015
  8. jeffasaul Win User

Windows 10 Product Key?

I tried to upgrade using the Media Tool. Twice, I tried to upgrade and it failed. I then created a USB and installed from there, which of course became a clean install. It won't accept my key that I got from Windows 8.1. So now I have a Win10 clean install and no key. Would Micorsoft or ASUS be able to give me one?

jeffasaul, Jul 29, 2015
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello Jeff, and welcome to Ten Forums.

It sounds like you may need to install and activate 8.1 again, then try to upgrade to Windows 10 again. *Sad

Brink, Jul 29, 2015
  10. jeffasaul Win User
    Can you downgrade from 10? I don't have any installation discs for 8.1. I know there is a folder on my C: Drive now that say Windows_Old.

I guess if I downgrade, then I should just wait until MS decides to upgrade it, and then clean install? Sigh.

jeffasaul, Jul 29, 2015
  11. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Jeff,

If you upgraded to 10 from 8.1 and didn't delete the Windows.old folder, then you could use the method in the tutorial below to go back to 8.1 if it hasn't been over a month since updating.

https://www.windowsphoneinfo.com/threads/go-back-to-the-previous-version-of-windows-in-windows-10.8929/

If the above is not an option, then you can download an official Windows 8.1 ISO using OPTION ONE below that you can use to create a bootable USB to clean install 8.1.

Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create

Brink, Jul 29, 2015
  12. jeffasaul Win User
    Awesome. I will try tonight. Thanks!

jeffasaul, Jul 29, 2015
  13. Brink
    Brink New Member

Windows 10 Product Key?

You're most welcome. Please let us know how it went. *Smile

Brink, Jul 29, 2015
  14. Thomas Win User
    I installed over 4 different machines with different versions of W7 retail. Each with only one drive. Everything went ok on all 4. I created 4 separate ISO's, one for each machine. I then connected a new clean drive in each one and installed the ISO's. All eight have the same ID ending with (3v66t). What's going on here ? Is this normal ?

Thomas, Jul 29, 2015
  15. cytherian Win User
    Hi Shawn - My Windows 8.1 laptop doesn't have any product key sticker on it, so I had to use a 3rd party program (BelArc) to find out what it is. If I do a complete clean install of Windows 8.1, the product key will no doubt need to be specified... I'm presuming that the discovered product key will work with the referenced Windows 8.1 software bundle? Or will I have to get an OEM Windows install version from the laptop vendor?

cytherian, Jul 29, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 Product Key?

1. Windows 10 Product Key? - Similar Threads - Product Key

2. Windows is activated with Generic Product Key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows is activated with Generic Product Key: Hello,To summarize the issue, when I install Windows Home or Pro, Windows takes the license from my Microsoft account. However, this license is the key known as "Generic Product Key". There is no OEM license on my device. When installing Windows, I check the "I do not have a...
  3. Windows is activated with Generic Product Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows is activated with Generic Product Key: Hello,To summarize the issue, when I install Windows Home or Pro, Windows takes the license from my Microsoft account. However, this license is the key known as "Generic Product Key". There is no OEM license on my device. When installing Windows, I check the "I do not have a...
  4. product key is not working

product key is not working: product key is not working. need to install the MS applications. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key-is-not-working/9814414a-2a25-47fa-9982-6ff294d369ea
  5. product key is not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    product key is not working: product key is not working. need to install the MS applications. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-key-is-not-working/9814414a-2a25-47fa-9982-6ff294d369ea
  6. product key is not working

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. need to purchase product key for windows 8

in Windows 10 Gaming
    need to purchase product key for windows 8: help me purchase a windows 8 product key so I can upgrade to windows 10. windows 8 is inactive from motherboard, it need activation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-purchase-product-key-for-windows-8/7b0896e5-ac4b-474e-9de3-7600fa5508b0
  8. need to purchase product key for windows 8

need to purchase product key for windows 8: help me purchase a windows 8 product key so I can upgrade to windows 10. windows 8 is inactive from motherboard, it need activation https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/need-to-purchase-product-key-for-windows-8/7b0896e5-ac4b-474e-9de3-7600fa5508b0
  9. How do I recover my Windows 11 product key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I recover my Windows 11 product key?: I recently have reset my Lenovo laptop as it was getting very slow, after the reset when the windows was reinstalled I somehow lost the Windows product key that came with the laptop itself I did not purchase any key from my side. After this incident I taught something might...
  10. How do I recover my Windows 11 product key?

How do I recover my Windows 11 product key?: I recently have reset my Lenovo laptop as it was getting very slow, after the reset when the windows was reinstalled I somehow lost the Windows product key that came with the laptop itself I did not purchase any key from my side. After this incident I taught something might...