Windows 10: Windows 10 re-activation with new hardware

Discus and support Windows 10 re-activation with new hardware in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, A question about upgrading to Windows 10. Before the free year expires, if I upgrade to Windows 10 from existing Windows 8 Retail on my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Retro, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Retro Win User

Windows 10 re-activation with new hardware

Hi,

A question about upgrading to Windows 10.

Before the free year expires, if I upgrade to Windows 10 from existing Windows 8 Retail on my current PC, upgrade it (new M/B, CPU etc) and then install existing Windows 8 Retail on the new setup, will I still be able to upgrade to Windows 10 again for free?

Thanks.

:)

Retro, Mar 30, 2016
  2. Alan B Win User

How do I get my Windows 10 OS in my dying hard drive transferred to a new Hard drive?

If you updated to Windows 10 and it was activated then if you re-install Windows 10 on a new hard drive but your other hardware (particularly the motherboard) remains the same then it will activate automatically. The new Microsoft system for Windows 10
    locks activation to your hardware rather than using a key.

Alan B, Mar 30, 2016
  3. Ireton_G Win User
    Windows 10 Activation after broken hardware and hardware change

After upgrading hardware in my PC because of hardware breaking, I have to re-activate windows 10, however my old windows 10 activation key (upgraded from windows 7) , was never linked to my @live account to be able to re-activate on new hardware. I cannot
    use my old hardware and link them as they are completely broken, and I am would rather not buy a new copy as I previously owned it. I cannot use my old windows 7 disc due to hardware changes.

What do I need to do to activate windows? (preferably without buying it)

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows settings

Ireton_G, Mar 30, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Yes, you will be able to do that but it should not even be necessary to reload win8, just stay with W10, enter your Win8 retail key and it should accept that or phone MS activation centre and speak to them about what you have done, they may simply reactivate you over the phone. If your change is only to memory, hard disk or graphics card then there will be no re-activation issues.

philc43, Mar 30, 2016
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    You also need to remove Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 from the old upgraded (current) system, otherwise, it sounds like you are starting with one Windows 8 license, upgrading it to 10, then reusing the license you have upgraded to magically get 2 installations of Windows 10 from one initial retail licence.

Now if that trick could be performed over and over, nobody would ever have to buy another Windows License again as long as Windows 10 was around.

In the terms of the Windows 10 EULA:

and

Fafhrd, Mar 30, 2016
  6. Retro Win User
    Ah, that's another way of doing it and would save a lot of time.

Yep, I'd be completely getting rid of the Windows installation on the existing setup before proceeding with a new setup.

Retro, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 re-activation with new hardware - Similar Threads - activation hardware

2. Windows 10 Activation after hardware change not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Activation after hardware change not working: Recently had to change my MB after a surge took the previous one out. After change I can no longer activate me copy of windows and get the code 0xC004F211 which confirmed it was a hardware change issue. I've tried the trouble shooter, wasn't able to activate and tells me to...
  3. Windows 10 Activation after hardware change not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Activation after hardware change not working: Recently had to change my MB after a surge took the previous one out. After change I can no longer activate me copy of windows and get the code 0xC004F211 which confirmed it was a hardware change issue. I've tried the trouble shooter, wasn't able to activate and tells me to...
  4. Windows 10 Activation after hardware change not working

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. hardware upgrade - windows activation not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hardware upgrade - windows activation not working: I did post this previously but accidentally using the wrong Microsoft account, but I've added more info based on answers thereI've recently done a hardware upgrade and now it can't activate my previous Windows account. When I've followed the Troubleshoot guide it can't find...
  6. hardware upgrade - windows activation not working

hardware upgrade - windows activation not working: I did post this previously but accidentally using the wrong Microsoft account, but I've added more info based on answers thereI've recently done a hardware upgrade and now it can't activate my previous Windows account. When I've followed the Troubleshoot guide it can't find...
  7. Unable to activate Windows 10 after a hardware change

Unable to activate Windows 10 after a hardware change: In 2019 I upgraded from an OEM version disc which I purchased from a PV supplier of Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free. A new product key was issued by Microsoft and activated when I upgraded, replacing the original Windows 7 product key. I have recently upgraded my PC hardware...
  8. Unable to activate Windows 10 after a hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to activate Windows 10 after a hardware change: In 2019 I upgraded from an OEM version disc which I purchased from a PV supplier of Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free. A new product key was issued by Microsoft and activated when I upgraded, replacing the original Windows 7 product key. I have recently upgraded my PC hardware...
  9. Unable to activate Windows 10 after a hardware change

10. Unable to activate Windows 10 after hardware changes

Unable to activate Windows 10 after hardware changes: Hey guys,I need help, I've tried trouble shooter, and virtual helper, gotten no progress. I've upgraded my hardware with a new motherboard etc, but I'm unable to activate my windows 10.I originally bought windows 7, and upgraded it with the free upgrade to win 10 long ago. I...