Windows 10: Windows 10 re image

Discus and support Windows 10 re image in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello I have upgrade Win 7 64bit to Win 10 64bit. I have created a back up image to an internal SATA HDD. I have created a back up image to an external... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Stephen12, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Stephen12 Win User

Windows 10 re image

Hello I have upgrade Win 7 64bit to Win 10 64bit. I have created a back up image to an internal SATA HDD. I have created a back up image to an external HDD. The drives being formatted to MBR. I have followed the instructions from a number of websites most carefully. On trying to re image my computer with either drive connected (obviously not both). The set up information can not be found. I have repeated the process with the drives formatted to GPT... again the set up information can not be found. Anyone got an idea please... I'm at a loss as to how to proceed on this one.*Confused

:)

Stephen12, Nov 21, 2015

2. Will the option to re-image the computer be available when installing Windows 10?

Original Title: Computer Re-Image

Will the option to re-image the computer be available when installing Windows 10? I have been wanting to re-image my computer for awhile and have a Windows 7 disc to do so but have not used it yet. Should I use the windows 7 disc to re-image my computer
    before installing Windows 10 or should I wait until 10 downloads? Any help would be appreciated.

cameron2994, Nov 21, 2015
  3. cookefred Win User
    cookefred, Nov 21, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows 10 re image

What did you use to create the back up images with?

NavyLCDR, Nov 21, 2015
  5. Stephen12 Win User
    Not sure how to answer your question.
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/how-create-...ore-it-1513321
    Steps to perform a full image backup in Windows 10

1- Right-click on
    the Start button and open Control
    Panel

2- Click
    File
    History

3- In File History,
    click the System Image Backup link in the
    bottom-left corner of the screen

4- Connect an external
    USB hard drive to the computer with sufficient free space

5- The backup wizard
    prompts you to choose from one of the three options to save the backup. For
    instance, just select the hard drive you just connected. However, you can also
    back up to blank DVDs and a network share, but these options are likely to slow
    down the backup process

6- Click
    Next

7- Confirm the
    prompt to backup and hit Start backup

This process could take
    around 10 minutes to 2 hours, depending on the amount of data to be backed up.
    However, you can continue to use your computer normally when the backup is
    running in the background.

How to restore your computer from Windows 10 image backup
    file

• Connect the hard-drive
      with the system image backup to computer. Then reboot the computer with the
      Windows installation media (bootable DVD or bootable USB flash
      drive)
    • During the Windows
      Setup, click Next, then click Repair your computer link in the bottom-left corner
      of screen
    • Click on Troubleshoot > Advanced options, and select System Image
      Recovery
    • Finally, select
      Windows 10 from the list of operating systems that you want to recover, click
      Next and hit Finish

Stephen12, Nov 22, 2015
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    That's what I was asking. There are several programs available to make back up images with. Built-in Windows function, Acronis, EaseUS, and Macrium Reflect Free to name a few. The built-in Windows function seems to cause the most problems for people.

If you connect the external hard drive to another computer do you see the backup file? It should be a .vhd or .vhdx file, I think. I don't use Windows 10 built-in imaging so my ability to help is limited. At what part does the restore fail? Are you able to boot from the Windows installation USB/DVD and click on the Repair your computer link?

I believe you have to keep your hard drive that you are attempting to restore the same partition format (MBR or GPT) as when you made the image, if you use Windows built-in imaging.

NavyLCDR, Nov 22, 2015
  7. Stephen12 Win User
    Thank you for your reply. I have plug the back up HDD into another PC. I can see... down the tree, File History-My name-The PC's name-Configuration-Data-C-Users. Within the configuration folder.. Catalog1.edb Catalog2.edb Config1 Config2 Within the Data folder C (folder)-Users(folder) Public (folder) my name (folder) then folders containing my work.
    I have done a search *.vhd & *.vhdx nothing found.
    Many thanks,

Stephen12, Nov 22, 2015
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Windows 10 re image

So it sounds like you only have a file history backup of your data files and not a system image.

NavyLCDR, Nov 22, 2015
  9. Stephen12 Win User
    That's interesting many thanks. So I am not doing what is says at item 3. In the file History, click the System Image Backup link in the bottom left corner of the screen.... I guess. I'll give it a go tomorrow and report back. Many thanks so far.

Stephen12, Nov 22, 2015
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Personally, I use Macrium Reflect Free:
    Macrium Reflect Free

and, like I said, since I don't use built in Windows imaging, I am far from even being proficiently knowledgeable about it, so I could be completely wrong about your backup. I just upgraded my mother-in-law to Windows 10 and she does bookkeeping on the side for a couple of businesses. I did turn on File History to backup her data files once per hour - but I use Macrium Reflect Free for complete system backups to restore from in the event of catastrophic failure.

NavyLCDR, Nov 22, 2015
  11. Stephen12 Win User
    Success! I have now made a back up and restored it!
    Looks like i'de do well to have a drive permanently connected for File Back up's and say a USB drive for occasional System Back up's. Very many thanks.

Stephen12, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 re image

1. Windows 10 re image - Similar Threads - image

2. Canon EOS R6 .HIF images not usable in Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Canon EOS R6 .HIF images not usable in Windows: I have been a hobby photographer since my father gave me my first camera in the 1970s. I was using a Canon EOS 70D and a EOS 6D until I replaced them both with a EOS R6 a couple of months ago. I have normally been using JPEG format, but sometimes I have been storing images in...
  3. Canon EOS R6 .HIF images not usable in Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Canon EOS R6 .HIF images not usable in Windows: I have been a hobby photographer since my father gave me my first camera in the 1970s. I was using a Canon EOS 70D and a EOS 6D until I replaced them both with a EOS R6 a couple of months ago. I have normally been using JPEG format, but sometimes I have been storing images in...
  4. Deleting a custom image from the desktop background

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleting a custom image from the desktop background: Hopefully someone can assist with this. I've added an image to my desktop background. I now would like to delete it or make it inactive. I've tried assigning one of the default images, my image will pop up after a few minutes. I've changed from Picture to Slideshow and adjust...
  5. Deleting a custom image from the desktop background

Deleting a custom image from the desktop background: Hopefully someone can assist with this. I've added an image to my desktop background. I now would like to delete it or make it inactive. I've tried assigning one of the default images, my image will pop up after a few minutes. I've changed from Picture to Slideshow and adjust...
  6. How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?: I have taken a system image backup from my windows 11 laptop. Now I am trying to restore it but getting the prompt to create repair disc. How can I restore without creating the disc? Image has been attached for reference....
  7. How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?

How to restore windows 11 from system image backup without creating repair disc?: I have taken a system image backup from my windows 11 laptop. Now I am trying to restore it but getting the prompt to create repair disc. How can I restore without creating the disc? Image has been attached for reference....
  8. Windows Spotlight in Windows 10 lock screen repeating the same images over and over?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Spotlight in Windows 10 lock screen repeating the same images over and over?: I'm finding that the Windows 10 Spotlight lock screen is repeating images over and over again, even after I've rated it once, they come back and ask me to re-rate it again. This has been happening over the past year or so. In the past, you'd just get a new image and you'd...
  9. Windows Spotlight in Windows 10 lock screen repeating the same images over and over?

Windows Spotlight in Windows 10 lock screen repeating the same images over and over?: I'm finding that the Windows 10 Spotlight lock screen is repeating images over and over again, even after I've rated it once, they come back and ask me to re-rate it again. This has been happening over the past year or so. In the past, you'd just get a new image and you'd...
  10. Windows Spotlight in Windows 10 lock screen repeating the same images over and over?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen