Windows 10: Windows 10 re-installation sequence for new SSD drive

Discus and support Windows 10 re-installation sequence for new SSD drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; What is the ideal order of steps (and steps themselves) to install a new 250g SSD drive, and have windows 10 run on it, but leave my current mechanical... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by guitz, Dec 8, 2016.

1. guitz Win User

Windows 10 re-installation sequence for new SSD drive

What is the ideal order of steps (and steps themselves) to install a new 250g SSD drive, and have windows 10 run on it, but leave my current mechanical HD that has windows 10 currently on it in the pc as well for my content, etc?

:)

guitz, Dec 8, 2016

2. win 10 boot up sequence

installed win10/64bit/pro at start and 'boot 'for the windows has moved to another hard drive. system works but presents a problem when updating all drives to ssd as the boot sequence drive has hidden files that will not copy.

trying not to reinstall win as some programs being used are old .

how do i get the boot up seqence back to the 'c' drive without total re-install

mickmumford, Dec 8, 2016
  3. john3220 Win User
    Is Windows RE used in Windows 10?

If I perform a clean install using a Win 10 ISO DVD on the SSD, will the install place a Recovery Partition on that drive? I would then re-run the migration software from the old HDD to recover files and apps. Currently I was able to get Windows RE on
    the new SSD to find the recovery software in the Recovery Partition located on the old HDD.

john3220, Dec 8, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

1. Unplug current hard drive.
    2. Install new SSD, connect to SATA port the hard drive was connected to.
    3. Boot computer from Windows 10 USB flash drive or DVD.
    4. Install Windows 10 to SSD.
    5. Connect old hard to next available SATA port.

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2016
  5. guitz Win User
    thanks! forgot to also ask, will the BIOS need updating before I do this? it's an American Megatrends on an Asus P755...something something motherboard dated 2009

guitz, Dec 8, 2016
  6. guitz Win User
    scratch that...it's a done deal now, with Asus easy windows BIOS updater *chuckle ...something else I thought of though, does it matter when in those 5 steps I delete/wipe the old windows 10 on the mechanical drive or can it be done lastly whenever?

guitz, Dec 8, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    Does not matter. I would wait in case you need a special driver for hardware you can pull it from the old installation on the Hard Drive after you connect it. And if for some reason you can't get Windows installed on the SSD, you have the old hard drive installation to fall back on until you figure it out.

NavyLCDR, Dec 8, 2016
  8. guitz Win User

awesome, thanks again

guitz, Dec 8, 2016
  9. Steve C Win User
    SSD Transfer.docx
    See my guide in case you want to transfer your current installation to the SSD.

Steve C, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 re-installation sequence for new SSD drive - Similar Threads - installation sequence SSD

2. Re-Install system on new SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-Install system on new SSD.: I am going to have to install Win 10 on a new SSD in my current system. I am assuming that a recovery disk will get me to the point that I can download the rest of Win 10 again. If not I am in trouble. Is there any reason my current registration key would not work ?...
  3. Re-Install system on new SSD.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-Install system on new SSD.: I am going to have to install Win 10 on a new SSD in my current system. I am assuming that a recovery disk will get me to the point that I can download the rest of Win 10 again. If not I am in trouble. Is there any reason my current registration key would not work ?...
  4. Re-Install system on new SSD.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Re-install Windows on a new drive

Re-install Windows on a new drive: Hello, I am purchasing a new Solid State drive and I would like to re-install windows on that new drive. I do NOT need to back anything up, as I would prefer to start fresh. All of my important files are on an external USB drive. I just want to start "as new" but use my...
  6. Re-installing windows 10 on new NVMe SSD

Re-installing windows 10 on new NVMe SSD: I am about to upgrade my HP laptop with a NVMe SSD. My laptop came with pre-installed windows 10 Home Single language in HDD. I want to install windows 10 into NVMe SSD. I like to know the safest process involved to do so. I went trough some website suggesting to use third...
  7. Re-installing Windows 10 on a new SSD.

Re-installing Windows 10 on a new SSD.: My Windows 10 Pro version is 1809 and I haven't downloaded the 1903 feature update because I am thinking to change my hdd and buy a new ssd in a few days. I was thinking to do a fresh install of windows 10. So, if I download the MediaCreationTool and download windows 10 from...
  8. re-installing windows on new SSD issue

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    re-installing windows on new SSD issue: Hello, Bought a new SSD today, and wanted to make a clean installation of windows 10 Home on it, but installation is not even starting, error 0xc0000225 appears, and everything just stops. I do have licensed USB flash disk....
  9. RE INSTALL WINDOWS 10 INTO A NEW SSD HARD DRIVE

RE INSTALL WINDOWS 10 INTO A NEW SSD HARD DRIVE: I've faced an issue with my old Hard drive as my hp laptop keeps on re-booting after hp logo when starting but my windows is not starting. so I ran System Quick Test and found out that my Hard Drive Short DST Check : Failed so I bought a new SSD and installed it. My...
  10. Windows 10 Re-install to new Drive

Windows 10 Re-install to new Drive: Hello there. I'm going to buy an SSD to replace my severely outdated boot drive and I want to re-install windows to the new drive. I know how to install but I'm not sure where to find my key. I upgraded to windows 10 from windows 7 when it was being offered for free....