Windows 10: Windows 10 recovery disk vs W8.1 HP Recovery media

Discus and support Windows 10 recovery disk vs W8.1 HP Recovery media in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I have one time create HP Recovery thumbdrive of W8.1 OEM Recovery (D). I've in-place Upgraded via W10 Media Creation Tool upgrade this PC.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bjm, Jul 19, 2016.

1. BJM
    bjm Win User

Windows 10 recovery disk vs W8.1 HP Recovery media

Hello,
    I have one time create HP Recovery thumbdrive of W8.1 OEM Recovery (D).
    I've in-place Upgraded via W10 Media Creation Tool upgrade this PC.

Curious, if I should wipe one time create W8.1 HP Recovery thumbdrive and create Windows 10 recovery disk.
    I have Macrium system image backups and Macrium Rescue Media

Thanks

:)

2. Rolando Vil, Jul 19, 2016
  3. Ralf_G Win User
    Refresh/Reset Windows 10 PC which arrived with Windows 8 pre installed

Also is there a option to upgrade my recovery to Win 10?

No, that system recovery is custom software created by HP for their own computers. If the computer is a recent model that qualifies for an HP supplied upgrade to Windows 10 then HP might have Windows 10 system recovery media for it that you could order.

Ralf_G, Jul 19, 2016
  4. Windows 10 recovery disk vs W8.1 HP Recovery media

I would keep it since you seem to have other backups of your OS.
    shipinomore

shipinomore10, Jul 19, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    If you want a Windows 10 recovery drive, why not just put it on a new USB 8 GB thumb drive? They are only $7 or $8.

NavyLCDR, Jul 19, 2016
  6. BJM
    bjm Win User
    Hmm, my create Windows 10 recovery disk with system files says 32GB http://s31.postimg.org/e5xngdcaj/screenshot.png, same as when I made one time HP Recovery thumbdrive. So, Windows 10 recovery disk feels like logical step.
    I hear ya'. Get new thumbdrive.
    Okay Thanks

7. BJM
    bjm Win User
    Okay, keep one time create HP Recovery thumbdrive of W8.1 (D). Thanks

8. cereberus Win User

One problem with recovery drives is that they become effectively obsolete if you do not recreate it each time there is a build upgrade.

So remember to recreate it after the August 2nd update.

If you have an external hard drive, you can create an iso of the usb stick using imgburn or similar, then backup iso to hdd. Then you can free up usb stick if you like but would need to "burn" iso back to a usb stick (maybe needing another pc) if you later need it.

cereberus, Jul 20, 2016
  9. BJM
    bjm Win User
    Yes, valid point. I'm not sure when I'll get Aug 2nd update. I upgraded in June and rolled back in June. I upgraded again a fews days ago. So, I don't know status of my 30 day rollback clock. I read on AskWoody < Microsoft will not automatically apply the Anniversary Update to any machine that’s still in its 30-day free rollback window.> And I have third party tool, supposedly blocks auto-updates. Don't tell Mickey.

Thema:

1. Windows 10 recovery disk vs W8.1 HP Recovery media - Similar Threads - recovery disk Recovery

2. USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media: In case Windows 10 Pro OS problematic Can be repaired with USB Stick CreateRecovery USB Stick Windows 10 Pro Or createInstallation media usb stick…?If both can help, When use the first and when the second…?...
  3. USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media: In case Windows 10 Pro OS problematic Can be repaired with USB Stick CreateRecovery USB Stick Windows 10 Pro Or createInstallation media usb stick…?If both can help, When use the first and when the second…?...
  4. USB Stick Recovery Media vs Installation Media

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows recovery drive vs. windows media creation tool

Windows recovery drive vs. windows media creation tool: Hi,I still cannot seem to be able to wrap my head around the difference between creating a windows recovery drive in the recovery drive section of the control panel, and downloading the tool off the internet called media creation tool to a USB thumb drive.Are those 2 thumb...
  6. Using a recovery disk vs a fresh install.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using a recovery disk vs a fresh install.: What is better when encountering a problem that does not allow you to even start windows, to have a fresh install of windows or to use a previously created on the computer restore disk?I am thinking that a fresh install may give a fresher and lighter version but with the...
  7. Using a recovery disk vs a fresh install.

Using a recovery disk vs a fresh install.: What is better when encountering a problem that does not allow you to even start windows, to have a fresh install of windows or to use a previously created on the computer restore disk?I am thinking that a fresh install may give a fresher and lighter version but with the...
  8. HP Recovery Media Creation

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    HP Recovery Media Creation: Should I make a recovery with the HP Recovery Media Creation on my new computer, or should I do something else? I know this is a silly question. But I am just curious. Thanks! *Smile 94679
  9. Recovery disks for HP ProBook 6460b

Recovery disks for HP ProBook 6460b: Hi guys can I ask for a little advice please I recently was given a HP ProBook 6460b Laptop with brokenhard drive I have tried putting the operating system on a bootable usb flashdrive just to see if the computer works with no luck. I have downloaded an iso for the...
  10. Recovery Drive vs Recovery Partition vs PE Rescue Disk, confused.

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery Drive vs Recovery Partition vs PE Rescue Disk, confused.: After I did a clean install of Win10 about a year ago, I created a USB Recovery Drive. I also have a Norton Security Recovery Drive and I’ve created USB Bootable PE Rescue Disk by Kyhi. I also use Acronis to create regular full disk images and I have a USB Bootable Acronis...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. recovery media cd w8

2. w8.1 recovery media