Windows 10: Windows 10 Recurring Hang-Crash-Freeze - nVidia or Intel or Microsoft

Discus and support Windows 10 Recurring Hang-Crash-Freeze - nVidia or Intel or Microsoft in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have been given a ASUS, Q551LN Laptop to fix. It that has been locking up, or freezing. The interesting thing it is not like most hangs as the mouse... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CleitusDaBlack, Jul 31, 2017.

1. Windows 10 Recurring Hang-Crash-Freeze - nVidia or Intel or Microsoft

I have been given a ASUS, Q551LN Laptop to fix. It that has been locking up, or freezing. The interesting thing it is not like most hangs as the mouse moves, windows explorer is still working but no new applications can be opened. Before I saw this type of freezing issue I assumed it was a overheating or hard drive issue.
    I finally got it to boot to safe mode after skipping the chkdsk operation; I saw that it would run great in safe mode; no crash/freeze.
    I ran Seatools on the hard drive - passed.
    I ran SFC /SCANNOW, no problems or missing Windows files.
    I had read many forums indicating that this could be a driver issue after upgrading to Windows 10.
    I reinstall all drivers with current OEM drivers; still freezing.
    I restored OS, no luck.
    I reset windows back to windows 8.1; still freezes during OS install setup.
    I did not install updates and was able to get to the desktop before it froze.
    I checked box in MSCONFIG for base video, restarted and windows runs fine, NO FREEZING!!!!!

At this point, I am starting to realize it is display adapter problem. This particular ASUS has a Ge-force 840M and Intel integrated graphics as well; hmm. I searched the forums for GPU problems most did not apply but fortunately the topic of one thread was about games freezing randomly due to problems with NVIDIA GPU's. One post indicated that settings for NVIDIA Physx could be the problem.

I check the NVIDIA control panel and found that Physx was using the integrated GPU by default.
    I changed this setting to use the Ge-Force GPU. Laptop FROZE.
    I decided to disable Intel(R) HD Graphics Family completely through the device manager(in Safe Mode).
    I change BIOS settings to only use minimal memory for integrated graphics.

Rebooted laptop and everything is working great! No Crash, No Freeze, No partial hang.
    The lesson I learned and will hopefully help others is to:
    Determine what type of hang the computer is experiencing. If mouse moves but no HD activity and no new windows will open check the Display Adapters/GPU software settings.

Physx and 3D settings along with the upgrade to windows 10 contributed to this problem. I'm not sure what the long term fix should be but hopefully this post saves someone else the days I've worked on this.

:)

CleitusDaBlack, Jul 31, 2017

2. Windows 7 to 10 upgrade on a Dell Precision 390?

Hi Prahalad,

the graphics drivers install without any problems. The random freeze/hang issue is while running Windows 10 with the NVIDIA graphics driver.

Uninstalling the NVIDIA driver and installing the Microsoft Basic Display driver fixes the freeze/hang issue.

Thanks.

Graham Hay, Jul 31, 2017
  3. Windows 7 to 10 upgrade on a Dell Precision 390?

Hi Yashwanth,

I have tried the following versions of the NVIDIA Windows 10 driver for the Quadro K600 from NVIDIA:

All have the same random freeze/hang issue.

Thanks.

Graham Hay, Jul 31, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Windows 10 Recurring Hang-Crash-Freeze - nVidia or Intel or Microsoft

bro67, Aug 1, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    zbook, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 Recurring Hang-Crash-Freeze - nVidia or Intel or Microsoft

1. Windows 10 Recurring Hang-Crash-Freeze - nVidia or Intel or Microsoft - Similar Threads - Recurring Hang Crash

2. Intel + NVIDIA Laptop Freeze Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Intel + NVIDIA Laptop Freeze Problem: Hi everyone, I have bought Lenovo legion 5 15ITH6H less than one month ago and I experienced freeze/lag issue, how to produce? I open a game that require the dGPU to be activated and then close the game now every app every action I do will cause the mouse and screen to freeze...
  3. Intel + NVIDIA Laptop Freeze Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Intel + NVIDIA Laptop Freeze Problem: Hi everyone, I have bought Lenovo legion 5 15ITH6H less than one month ago and I experienced freeze/lag issue, how to produce? I open a game that require the dGPU to be activated and then close the game now every app every action I do will cause the mouse and screen to freeze...
  4. Intel + NVIDIA Laptop Freeze Problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Recurring crashes Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recurring crashes Windows 10: Hello,I have irregular but recurring crashes where the PC just goes off no blue screen. I already removed and reinstalled Windows 10 and removed and reinstalled the graphic driver- Unfortunately without success. Error message in German from Event Viewer reads: Der Computer...
  6. Recurring crashes Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recurring crashes Windows 10: Hello,I have irregular but recurring crashes where the PC just goes off no blue screen. I already removed and reinstalled Windows 10 and removed and reinstalled the graphic driver- Unfortunately without success. Error message in German from Event Viewer reads: Der Computer...
  7. Recurring BSODs on windows, crashes and system hangs on linux.

Recurring BSODs on windows, crashes and system hangs on linux.: Hi all. I have an Asus FX570UD laptop running windows 10, Ubuntu 18 and Ubuntu 20. Everything used to work fine until one day I had a BSOD with a stop code CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. And since then, I almost have it daily. My windows suddenly lags a lot and soon a BSOD. Same...
  8. Intel + NVIDIA Laptop Freeze Problem

Intel + NVIDIA Laptop Freeze Problem: Hello friends how are you, I open this thread again since according to the previous thread I am partially resolved, but I still present the same symptoms with the new update of May of Windows I have in fact always had them, they solved if some things but persists in my case...
  9. Browsers Hang, Freeze And Crash

in Browsers and Email
    Browsers Hang, Freeze And Crash: I'm at the end of the rope on trying to solve this problem. I am using a Dell XPS-17 L702X laptop with 8GB of DDR3 RAM and two internal drives, 500GB each. I have 408 GB of free space on the OS drive, which is Drive C. I am running a clean installation of Windows 10 Pro x64....
  10. Windows 10 Recurring Crash/Freeze - nVidia?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Recurring Crash/Freeze - nVidia?: I'm hoping someone can help me with a recurring Windows 10 crash. First of all, I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro. Soon after, I began to experience crashes at apparently random times. in this case, "crash" always means display goes dark, monitor powers down,...