Windows 10: Windows 10 refuses to install to a new SSD

Discus and support Windows 10 refuses to install to a new SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi all, I sure hope someone can help with this. I've been building & installing computers for years and I'm totally stumped. I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Geekomatic, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Windows 10 refuses to install to a new SSD

Hi all,

I sure hope someone can help with this. I've been building & installing computers for years and I'm totally stumped.

I have a friend's Sony Vaio PCG-31311W laptop and have offered to install an SSD for him as his current HDD is failing. I managed to move his data off of it, but the laptop reports it's failing at every boot. It's currently running Win 10 Home & is activated.

The HDD is 500gb & the SSD he gave me is 250gb. I said it would be best to just reinstall a new copy of 10 rather than try anything involving his failing drive (it's extremely slow to repond to anything).

I have a DVD of Win 10, which I've used previously & it is in pristine condition physically. It hung at the “create a partition” section. I cancelled & shift/F10 to try running diskpart/clean. I got, “an I/O error”.

So, I used the MS media creation tool to make a bootable USB installer of Win 10. Created & verified successfully. So far, so good.

I boot it and get to the “where to install” screen (shows the SSD) click “next”.....aaaand that's where we sit. For a looooong time.

The laptop eventually stops the install with, “couldn't install to the location you chose, check your media”. The error code is 0x80300025.

If I click “new”, I get “we couldn't create a new partition/error 0xd4066010”.

If I shift/F10 & go to “C:”/dir, the boot files are there, so I know it can be written to-- but something else is stopping the show?

As this is a brand new Samsung 860, I doubted a drive issue but booted up Seatools and ran the long test-- it says it's all good.

The media IS good, according to MS.

There's not much to alter in this laptop's BIOS-- there's boot order & whether or not to enable VM's-- the rest is nothing. I also see nothing about legacy vs EUFI, so assume it's pre-secure boot as well.

Any ideas what to do from here? I know it can run 10 because that's what it was running on HDD.

Thanks everyone.

:)

Geekomatic, Mar 22, 2018
  2. rjones378 Win User

I want to install Windows 10 to a new SSD and do a complete wipe of my current hard drive.

So I currently have windows 7 running on my custom built desktop which has only a HDD. Through various complications and for various different reasons, I would like to completely wipe my current HDD (including everything like drivers) and install windows
    10 on an SSD that I am going to buy to purely run the OS off. My questions are:

Can I choose what drive to install Windows 10 onto when I upgrade?

Can I use this Upgrade effectively as a complete system reset?

Thanks

rjones378, Mar 22, 2018
  3. Basith M Win User
    I want to install Windows 10 to a new SSD and do a complete wipe of my current hard drive.

Hi,

The task that you are trying to perform is not possible. While upgrading you can format the drive, but you wont be able to select a different drive to install the Operating System.

If you are installing Windows 10 on a different SSD drive, then you will have to purchase the product key and then activate it.

You may refer to the following Microsoft Community Wiki articles provided by Andre De Costa for further assistance.

How to: Upgrade from Previous Versions of Windows Using Windows 10 ISO file

How to troubleshoot Product Activation in Windows 10

Please feel free to visit our website for any help with Windows Operating System.

Basith M, Mar 22, 2018
  4. Windows 10 refuses to install to a new SSD

EDIT:

I just tossed the Evo into my own laptop and used the USB media I'd created & it installed without issue--- so I KNOW they are good.
    I meant to say that the Vaio doesn't have a choice of ACHI/IDE, so that's not the trouble (& it ran 10 on HDD).

Geekomatic, Mar 22, 2018
  5. lx07 Win User
    You can most likely use the installation you already did on your laptop.

Ideally if you are doing this once it gets to the "restarting in 11 seconds" bit you would hard power off your laptop and swap the disk into the Vaio. If you went all the way through the install it will still probably work as Windows is good at recognizing changed drivers.

That is what I did on my old MacBook as the DVD drive was broken and it will not boot Windows from USB. I installed Windows while the SSD was in my Thinkpad, removed the drive and stuck it in the MacBook and it worked a charm.

Worth a try anyway.

6. Yeah, I tried that, too-- just a while ago. I found that while I could go through the entire install & have it run on my laptop, if I did the old switch-a-roo at restart, it just came back with "no OS" on the Vaio. I then let it boot back to the media & tried "repair my computer" instead of install- it failed to repair.

Shift/F10 shows what appears to be all of the typical folders/files on C:, it just refuses to run on the Vaio.

Right now, I'm attempting to install to a 120GB Sandisk. Who knows, maybe it's a compatibility issue w/the Evo's? If the 120GB runs, then I'll do a clone. If the Evo fails after that, I'll tell him to return the SSD for a different brand.

Unless others here have more up their sleevies?

Thanks for the idea, tho. Here are a few photos of the screens I'm getting.

Geekomatic, Mar 22, 2018
  7. Okay, the 120GB Sandisk installed fine, it's about to boot to the desktop for the first time.

I wonder if it's something to do with the Samsung controller or (maybe) the V-Nand? I have no idea, but those are two differences in the drives.

Once it's fully running, I'll try to clone it over to the Evo & see if it boots. I'll let you know!

Geekomatic, Mar 22, 2018
  8. Windows 10 refuses to install to a new SSD

So, the Sandisk runs in the Vaio perfectly. I cloned to the 860 & it booted, but slowly. I installed the Samsung Magician software and it couldn't initialize a few of the drive optimizers. I noticed it detected it at 232GB (after format), yet showed it as 111GB in size? So, I went into computer management to extend C: to the full drive capacity (done this before to dozens of drives). In this case, it says it's failed (of course), yet the management window showed C; taking the entire (232GB) space? I figure, restart & check again. Nope. In disk management, it says C: is 232, in explorer & the Sammy software, it's 111GB.

Plan G: make a system image of the Sandisk to an external HDD and install from that. Image created successfully. I left it installing, for 2 hours, and nothing had happened. Cancel.

Install to my own 750 EVO. It works, there are snags, but it's in. I grab the 13 Mar cumulative MS update and run it. Right now, it's running okay and the only hiccup is the Sammy Magician still showing the V 1002 error.

As I type, I'm using a toaster to clone the 750 to the 860. We'll see how it goes using disk-to-disk capacity and also using a fully up-to-date Win 10.

Geekomatic, Mar 23, 2018
  9. No-go. When I swapped the 860 drive back into the Vaio, it just hangs at the circle of dots. I booted install media & tried all of the bootrec cmd's + sfc/chkdsk....Next, I used Macrium to do another clone & it throws "bad system config info"-- which I also cannot fix...

Anyone?

Geekomatic, Mar 24, 2018
  10. I kind of expected a "few" Win 10 hardware gurus" here....Still no answer. I'll try elsewhere. Oh well, thanks anyway. *Smile

Geekomatic, Mar 26, 2018
  11. cereberus Win User
    You are being impatient - we get users in all time zones and it can take a few days for people to reply.

I have just been using this great method since Saturday as advised by our resident guru @Kari. I had installations that just refused to clean install. This did the trick and it faster as well.

Apply Windows Image using DISM Instead of Clean Install Windows 10 Tutorials

cereberus, Mar 26, 2018
  12. If I had to guess, the laptop can't handle NVME drives, and that the 120 GB is simply an m.2 SSD (non-NVM). Sony computers are absolute crap, so you could suggest he buy a new one at this point, or return the Samsung drive for a non-NVME option.

I also have to agree...patience. No one is paid to post on these forums. If you aren't happy about the response time, you are free to contact the mods and ask for a refund.

DeaconFrost, Mar 27, 2018
  13. Windows 10 refuses to install to a new SSD

I wasn't impatient, I waited 5 days before giving up, & the owner needed a working computer. I thanked lx07 for their input & thanked you all, as well.

In looking online, there are quite a few reports of incompatibility with the Evo range, across computer brands/boards. I'd never run across this previously so thought is must be the drive itself somehow. It did report I/O errors (unrelated to the installation media) along with check disk wanting to run every other restart.

The owner has picked up the drive & is hopefully going to be able to swap it for Sandisk or Crucial.

Thanks again

Geekomatic, Mar 28, 2018
  14. SIW2 Win User
    I have been using the apply method for years. I used imagex initially. Anything that can extract from wim/esd will do the job - wimlib, or even 7-zip. I made a little UI for dism which I often use.

Windows 10 refuses to install to a new SSD [​IMG]

15. Okay, we're back in business-- they replaced the Evo for a Sandisk & I tried the DSIM installation just to have a go. It cuts down on some steps- but I had quite a few more "windows/prompts" to go through than simply a user-profile-name on restart. Even so, it's good to have options.

Now, one other question/poll:

opinions on going through the plethora of WU for drivers vs. using something like DriverPack on a new install? I have a fairly new d/l of DP & was thinking it might be good to get the drivers in before going online for the first time. That way, only updates will need to be downloaded.

Cheers

Geekomatic, Mar 28, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 refuses to install to a new SSD

1. Windows 10 refuses to install to a new SSD - Similar Threads - refuses install SSD

2. Installing Windows 10 on new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing Windows 10 on new SSD: hello, i am adding a new ssd to my commputer. currently windows 10 is running on my hdd. oem license. can the same oem license support both windows on ssd and hdd?i might wipe down the hdd or remove it down the road.. since windows is in hdd first, does it mean the boot...
  3. Installing Windows 10 on new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing Windows 10 on new SSD: hello, i am adding a new ssd to my commputer. currently windows 10 is running on my hdd. oem license. can the same oem license support both windows on ssd and hdd?i might wipe down the hdd or remove it down the road.. since windows is in hdd first, does it mean the boot...
  4. New SSD installing Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    New SSD installing Windows 10: Hi all, I have just ordered a new SSD, I intend to replace that and reinstall windows 10, but I don't have an activation key.I think that if I install windows and sign into windows it will automatically reactivate, is this true?First I need to download the media creation tool...
  5. Windows 10 Installation on new SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Installation on new SSD: My old HDD died and have lost everything on it recently and have decided to go with a SSD. I've Read that they don't come formatted. My question is will my W10 usb format the new drive during the install of w10 or do I have to pay someone to format the drive first for me...
  6. Installing Windows 10 on a new SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing Windows 10 on a new SSD: So I have my laptop for around 2.5 years, it has a standard 1td HDD. I want to replace it with a SSD. However I have no idea how to install win10 on the SSD since my laptop doesn't have a disc drive. Is there any other way I can install windows 10? submitted by...
  7. Installing windows 10 on new SSD

Installing windows 10 on new SSD: my previous HDD failed after 7+ years of use and I am doing a fresh install of windows 10 through a bootbleable USB created from the downloadable ISO image. would i have to purchase a activation key once again? or would my microsoft account still have the digital license from...
  8. Installing Windows 10 on new SSD

Installing Windows 10 on new SSD: Hello. I have a desktop PC with a 1GB HDD. It has Windows 10 (1809) on C: partition and Games, Documents, photos and other data on D: The boot mode is Legacy BIOS. I am going to install a 240 GB SSD as the primary drive and install the current version of Windows 10 on it. I...
  9. New Windows 10 install on new SSD

New Windows 10 install on new SSD: I am installing Windows 10 on a new SSD and have got to a screen that says "Make it Yours." This screen will not let me do anything. (locked up) I restarted the computer and it just goes back to the same screen with the same problem. NEED HELP!!! Thanks...
  10. Windows 10 refuses to install on SSD

Windows 10 refuses to install on SSD: Basically I had windows 10 installed on NVMe Samsung 960 SSD for awhile. Along with it there were 2 more partitions configured: 1 dynamic partition (2x 2TB HDD), 1 static (1x 1TB HDD). Now due to some issues decided to re-install Windows 10 completely. Booted to Windows...