Windows 10: Windows 10 remembering last session, or not fully shutting down.

Discus and support Windows 10 remembering last session, or not fully shutting down. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, community. I would like to ask if there was a recently update that makes Windows 10 remembers your last session and open almost anything that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Alstreim, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Alstreim Win User

Windows 10 remembering last session, or not fully shutting down.

Hello, community.

I would like to ask if there was a recently update that makes Windows 10 remembers your last session and open almost anything that you left opened after hitting the shutdown button. The issue, if it's one, is that a few days ago my computer started whenever i log-in, to open the windows and programs that i left open.

First, i thought it could be the fast startup, then i disabled. Next, i thought the computer was hibernating instead of shutting down, then i disabled as well. Next, browsing across the internet i came up with re-installing and updating the Intel Management Engine Device, didn't work.

My computer is running the High Performance energy mode, all hybernate/sleep settings are set to never or off. (My windows is in my native language Portuguese, Desligado means Off and Nunca means Never).

Windows 10 remembering last session, or not fully shutting down. [​IMG]

File explorer option to restore previous folder at logon is also disabled.

Windows 10 remembering last session, or not fully shutting down. [​IMG]

The computer turns off, i checked inside and everything stops working, yesterday i even took it out of the power plug to make sure it was really turned off, and when i turned on today, it was here, my last session, lol.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

:)

Alstreim, Jan 16, 2018
  2. JoolzD Win User

Windows 10 "INVALID IP CONFIGURATION"

I've seen heaps of this over the last few days.

The solution is to RESTART the computer, not shut down. A Windows 10 shutdown isn't a full shut down but more of a deep sleep/hibernation. Restarting will fully shut down the computer and restart and the problem should be fixed..

JoolzD, Jan 16, 2018
  3. buster454 Win User
    Windows 10 "INVALID IP CONFIGURATION"

worked like a champ

buster454, Jan 16, 2018
  4. Windows 10 remembering last session, or not fully shutting down.

UPDATE: For the most elegant solution go to THIS TUTORIAL

This is a known issue/feature for latest Windows 10.

I think we have/had a tutorial for this but I can't find it now, so this is the solution for now:

Every time you shut down your computer do the following:

A. For full shutdown:
    • Press: WIN + R
    • Type: Code: shutdown /s /t 0[/quote]
    • Press Enter

B. For a full reboot:
    • Press: WIN + R
    • Type: Code: shutdown /r /t 0[/quote]
    • Press Enter

You can also put those commands in Command Line scripts:
    First make sure you can see file extension (if you need help with that, feel free to ask)

Making script for Shutdown:
    • On your desktop right click and select "New"-->"Text Document"
    • Give it the name shutdown.cmd (make sure it is not named shutdown.cmd.txt)
    • Right click on the file and select "Edit" (Notepad should open)
    • Paste following command in to Notepad: Code: shutdown /s /t 0[/quote]
    • Save the file by pressing CTRL + S and exit Notepad

Making script for reboot:
    • On your desktop right click and select "New"-->"Text Document"
    • Give it the name reboot.cmd (make sure it is not named reboot.cmd.txt)
    • Right click on the file and select "Edit" (Notepad should open)
    • Paste following command in to Notepad: Code: shutdown /r /t 0[/quote]
    • Save the file by pressing CTRL + S and exit Notepad

Try out the scripts. In order for the scripts to execute, you must right click on them and select "Run As Administrator", or the scripts won't do anything. Press Yes on the UAC prompt.

Voila!! No open windows from previous session should reappear anymore.

Update: Those scripts could be coded better. They are currently in a very crude state, just to keep things simple.

slicendice, Jan 16, 2018
  5. paulco Win User
    Is that the 'Add Shutdown Context Menu' Tut.

paulco, Jan 16, 2018
  6. slicendice, Jan 16, 2018
  7. Try3 Win User
  8. Bree New Member

Yes. This is a new 'feature' that was quietly introduced in the Fall Creators Update (1709).

on a restart Fall Creators Update reopens apps from before

This was a widely unwelcome 'feature', and from Insider build 17040 Microsoft have added a way to turn it off. This will not make its way into the public version until the next Features Update (version 1803?) due out in April.

on a restart Fall Creators Update reopens apps from before

9. Thanks @Bree

I missed the point where it says Build 17040+ *Smile

Update: Disabling the autologin in setting on build 16299.172 does not automatically launch any apps after reboot. I was wrong, Wordpad did relaunch on reboot.

slicendice, Jan 16, 2018
  10. Bree New Member
    That's understandable, many Insiders miss that point too *Smile

Actually, now I fully understand how it works I've found this feature useful at times - particularly when investigating for that thread. I'd have IE open at a page in that thread, test something (like which apps can reopen on a restart) then post the results in the IE page that reopened.

Not all apps can be reopened. For example, Wordpad, IE, Chrome and Office will reopen, Notepad, Edge and Firefox won't. Only apps that are coded to register for a restart can be reopened.

11. Hehheh, usually my computer stays on 24/7 or I put it just to sleep...so I would not notice stuff like this...

slicendice, Jan 16, 2018
  12. Bree New Member
    You had my hopes up there for a while, but testing confirms nothing has changed in 16299.192. *Sad

13. Windows 10 remembering last session, or not fully shutting down.

Heheh, yep, I tested first with Edge, but as you stated, it does not register for auto re-launch. WordPad on the other hand did re-launch.

I also see that I misspelled the latest revision nr. ...oh well, does not matter since it's obsolete and irrelevant information now after testing.

slicendice, Jan 16, 2018
  14. Alstreim Win User
    Thanks Bree and slicendice.

Alstreim, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 remembering last session, or not fully shutting down. - Similar Threads - remembering last session

2. Computer won't fully shut down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer won't fully shut down: Simply put, my computer won't fully shut down for some reason. I select to shut down the computer and it seems to shut down as it always does. However, LEDs, Fans, etc. are still running while my monitor shows no connection to the computer. I've seen that people suggested...
  3. Computer won't fully shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer won't fully shut down: Simply put, my computer won't fully shut down for some reason. I select to shut down the computer and it seems to shut down as it always does. However, LEDs, Fans, etc. are still running while my monitor shows no connection to the computer. I've seen that people suggested...
  4. PC not fully shutting down

PC not fully shutting down: When I shut down my computer, my monitor loses signal but my pc stays on and doesn't fully shut down. This forces me to shut it down using the power button on the case, which I don't like doing cause I've heard it can cause harm. I have tried updating my graphics card...
  5. Shutting Down Doesn’t Fully Shut Down Windows 10 (But Restarting Does)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Shutting Down Doesn’t Fully Shut Down Windows 10 (But Restarting Does): [ATTACH] submitted by /u/martin_m_n_novy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iwclnn/shutting_down_doesnt_fully_shut_down_windows_10/
  6. windows 10 shuts down fully unexpectitly

windows 10 shuts down fully unexpectitly: my pc randomly shuts down I have all settings correct form earlier help still doing this full shut down. windows 10 1909 all updates. on the preview channel. hp probook 6665b...
  7. Shutting Down Doesn’t Fully Shut Down Windows 10 (But Restarting Does)

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutting Down Doesn’t Fully Shut Down Windows 10 (But Restarting Does): Ok so I'll try to clarify as much as I can. When I ''Shut down'' either I'm holding ''Shift'' or not. It signs out but I can Still hear fan and Power Led is on, even after couple of hours... it can goup to 12... For Shutting it down Completely, I have to hold Power Button...
  8. PC does not fully shut down.

PC does not fully shut down.: Hi all, I've got an odd situation that I haven't been able to find a solution. As of a couple of days ago, when I click on my PC to shut down through the start menu, *Windows* will shut down, but my hardware seems to remain active. This does not happen all the time though,...
  9. pc not fully shutting down

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    pc not fully shutting down: i recently built my new computer but everytime i shut down the gpu and fans and monitor doesnt shut down, only windows. when i try to restart to download drivers (i had to download them on an existing computer) when it starts to turn back on its just a black screen so i have...
  10. W10 won't shut down fully

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 won't shut down fully: Hi, Win+x and type uu or right click the start button and use those power and shutdown options always work :/