Windows 10: Windows 10 repair disk stops at keyboard selection

Discus and support Windows 10 repair disk stops at keyboard selection in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, I upgraded my Win 7 X64 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro X64 for free of course. I created a Windows 10 repair disk under Backup/Restore. I did... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Steve1209, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Steve1209 Win User

Windows 10 repair disk stops at keyboard selection

Hi Everyone,

I upgraded my Win 7 X64 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro X64 for free of course. I created a Windows 10 repair disk under Backup/Restore. I did the same when I first got Windows 7 years ago. Under Windows 7, I was able to boot the repair disk and easily restore a system image that I take nightly (overkill I know), over the years I used it several times without a problem when my system got screwed up.

I can boot the Windows 10 repair disk BUT it gets to choose a keyboard and I can't choose a keyboard because mouse/keyboard do NOT respond at all. It just basically freezes on that screen.

So I ask a few questions:
    1. Am I doing something wrong, has anyone tried this yet? Did you have better results?
    2. Is there a better Windows 10 system repair disk I can download from somewhere to help me restore a Win 10 system image that I create nightly?
    3. I tried a 3rd party Backup/Recovery product EaseUS Todo Backup, my Dell hard drive has 2 partitions (a dell MBR partition and the actual C drive), it backed up both partitions but that recovery disk didn't show both partitions to recover, only the MBR partition which was useless to me of course. Is there a Simple backup software just to copy the C drive 1 partition where my windows system resides, have a recovery boot disk that boots (EaseUS boot disks booted by the way) and to restore just the C drive partition that works under Windows 10?

Thank you for any help you can give me,
    Steve

:)

Steve1209, Aug 27, 2015

2. WIN 10 Recovery

Hi Denis,

Thanks again, I went through the link supplied ( Windows 10 repair disk stops at keyboard selection - TenForums):

"The keyboard and mouse, are they usb? If they are, can you enter the bios and see if there are settings for usb legacy mode. Maybe it will be called usb emulation. Please disable this mode, save and exit."

I did not see usb legacy mode, nor usb emulation in my UEFI-BIOS.

Instead I altered the boot-sequence in my UEFI-BIOS, so that the computer boots first with USB-Drive, then with Boot-Manager and on third place with HDD.

I also disabled "Secure Boot".

But on restart, the same problem: Screen freezes on keyboard layout selection.

Reading the postings also from other members, this seems to be a frequent problem.

Ricky

rickysujan, Aug 27, 2015
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    WIN 10 Recovery

Ricky,

1 I had thought that problems using mice or keyboards [during booting from a Windows 10 installation disk, System repair disk or Recovery drive] always involved problems with WiFi- or Bluetooth-connected devices. But the thread I gave you a link to included
    references to USB-connected mice & keyboards so I hoped that it would help you. I cannot tell the difference from your descriptions between a problem with your computer configuration or a problem with the bootable disk you made.

2 The only other thread I have seen that explicitly refers to your situation is

Windows 10 repair disk stops at keyboard selection - TenForums
    . It suggests checking your BIOS for settings that allow your peripherals to operate before Windows loads.

3 An installation disk [USB] is a valuable repair tool in its own right. You can make one using the link I posted. Booting from this would help to identify the cause of the keyboard-mouse problems you describe by providing a comparison to aid in diagnosis.
    As well as providing that comparison, the disk would then remain useful for its Windows installation & Windows repair capabilities [including image restoration].

4 The imaging utilities I suggested all require you to make their "rescue disk" on USB & boot from it to restore an image. They are therefore just as suitable for emergency situations as Windows' [current] own facilities. You boot from their rescue disk
    then connect the drive containing your image and restore that image to an existing or replacement HDD.

Denis

Tryx3, Aug 27, 2015
  4. Burgurne Win User

You may want to check in your BIOS to see, if USB is available before windows is loaded. Some mobo's has a setting to disable all USB for faster POST-times, and if that is the case, your mouse and keyboard (if connected via USB) will not work until windows is ready.

An other solution could be to find a PS2 keyboard to plug in when you must restore from the repair disk.

Burgurne, Aug 27, 2015
  5. WhyMe Win User
    Hi Steve and welcome to the forum *Smile

The keyboard and mouse, are they usb? If they are, can you enter the bios and see if there are settings for usb legacy mode. Maybe it will be called usb emulation. Please disable this mode, save and exit.

Please advise if this helps

WhyMe, Aug 27, 2015
  6. Steve1209 Win User
    My keyboard and mouse are both wireless now, they were both wired when system bought about 5 years ago, under windows 7 restart they both worked as wireless last time I used restart disk!

Steve1209, Aug 27, 2015
  7. WhyMe Win User
    but isn't the wireless receiver a usb receiver? Please give make & model number of mouse/keyboard.

WhyMe, Aug 27, 2015
  8. WhyMe Win User

Re your comments about the mouse/keyb working in Win7.
    My understanding is that the legacy/emulation lets the bios emulate HID support for an OS that does not provide that support. A newer OS will have the necessary support and therefore the option would need to be disabled in the BIOS

WhyMe, Aug 27, 2015
  9. Steve1209 Win User
    OK, I got into the BIOS via the F2 key on restart on my Dell, I didn't see that option, I'll boot again & look through everything on all the BIOS screens again

Thanks,
    Steve

Steve1209, Aug 27, 2015
  10. WhyMe Win User
    I just booted into a Dell XPS Win7 laptop with a Phoenix BIOS. I know it is a different pc and all, but the applicable USB option is under the 'Advanced' tab at my end. Of course, your bios may be different and no such option may exist for you...

WhyMe, Aug 27, 2015
  11. epicboy75 Win User
    i am having the same problem, only when i boot into win10 i get stuck on the keyboard selection screen.I have a wireless usb keyboard and wired usb mouse, so going to try w/ my asus m2nvp-vm mobo

epicboy75, Nov 14, 2015
  12. rbabler Win User
    I have been fighting this off and on for about 6 months on different boxes.

First a lot are blaming the USB connection well I have a PC that has both PS2 keyboard and mouse and same trouble.

Also can't make a reliable "System Restore CD" some fail to boot some hang at a "Black Screen" and some hang at the keyboard select screen. If your system crashes due to a hard drive failure how are you going to reinstall a image from a portable HD if you can't get too it !!!!

rbabler, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 repair disk stops at keyboard selection - Similar Threads - repair disk stops

2. Windows 10 repair disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 repair disk: Can I use older version of windows 10 repair disk for new version of windows 10? for repair or reset pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-repair-disk/2b592569-3bdb-4761-9a42-75b47db08269
  3. Windows 10 repair disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 repair disk: Can I use older version of windows 10 repair disk for new version of windows 10? for repair or reset pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-repair-disk/2b592569-3bdb-4761-9a42-75b47db08269
  4. Windows 10 repair disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 repair disk on startup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 repair disk on startup: Hey when I turned on my computer I got this message that it wanted to repair something called C. Why did this happen? I never had this before. Is this because I turn off the PC randomly (sometimes in the login screen as it logins) and it corrupts files? I had the option to...
  6. Windows 10 repairing disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 repairing disk: [ATTACH] Hi Community, I just installed the latest Windows 10 update 2 days ago. Just after i restarted and installed the update the Screen started freezing for 1-2s every 10secs. I just thought that a restart would fix that ^^. In the end it fixed nothin.. Now i have a...
  7. Windows 10 Freezes and in Repair Mode the Mouse & Keyboard Stop Working

Windows 10 Freezes and in Repair Mode the Mouse & Keyboard Stop Working: After a power failure when I repower my computer I go through the usual BIOS checks just fine, but once I get the screen saying that automatic repair has started I go to a screen which asks for keyboard layout. I'm frozen there since both my mouse and keyboard are not able...
  8. Windows 10 Repair Disk

Windows 10 Repair Disk: How do I initiate and complete system repair using my system repair disk? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-repair-disk/8ab9393f-78fe-4a5d-a35c-41aade485723
  9. Windows 10 - Repairing Disk Errors

Windows 10 - Repairing Disk Errors: I know a lot of people have been having trouble with the computers all of a sudden freezing and then going into this ridiculously long repairing disk error nonsense which takes a heck more than an hour to do anything. I need to get my stuff off my computer. Is there any way I...
  10. Windows 10 Repair Disk

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Repair Disk: G'day, This morning when I turned on my computer, I was getting peeps from my tower. The screen would go black and the machine would turn off. I turned everything off and re booted, it happened again. I have left the power off for two hours and everything seems back to...