Windows 10: Windows 10 repositions/resizes programs when locking or switching users

Discus and support Windows 10 repositions/resizes programs when locking or switching users in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This is a common issue among large screen resolutions and has been around since at least 2011 as evident by this post:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JC_Dev, Aug 15, 2018.

1. JC_Dev Win User

Windows 10 repositions/resizes programs when locking or switching users

This is a common issue among large screen resolutions and has been around since at least 2011 as evident by this post:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/is-there-a-way-to-set-windows-7-login-screen/b6b95eb5-736e-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

Will the Windows dev team ever address the fact that large monitors will always reset windows down to 1920x1200 when bouncing to the login screen? I have a 3440x1440 screen and every time I lock the computer or switch users, all of my perfectly aligned windows get resized and moved. This is EXTREMELY frustrating and ruins productivity.

MacOS supports persisting window location and size, Linux supports persisting window location and size, but Windows still resizes my programs despite complains for over 7 years. Please listen to your users. This is such a stupid usability issue and it's unique to the Windows ecosystem.

:)

JC_Dev, Aug 15, 2018
  2. Manihom Win User

windows 10 switch user display scaling taskbar resizing

I have the same issue and began experiencing it once I added another user to my Windows 10 device. When I sign out from one of the user profiles and return to another user, the task bar has been resized to much larger (wider). I have to unlock the task
    bar, resize it, and then lock the task bar. Again, this happens each time I switch to another user, sign out, and switch to another user.

I did check for updates and all drivers updates are current.

Manihom, Aug 15, 2018
  3. How to Switch user at Locked Screen in Windows 10

SOS, any ideas?

Running Windows 10 Pro on multiple PCs. All PCs have multiple user accounts defined. Only one PC allows users to logon by picking their name from the list of users. If a users is already logged on, and the desktop is locked, that user must log off entirely
    before the user list shows.

This is not the case on one of PCs. On the one PC, if a user left the PC with a locked Desktop, any configured user can simply select their name and switch user without the need to log off the previous user. All processes and apps are left intact as well
    for the previous user.

I did notice that after pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL the PC that is working as needed offers the option to "Switch User" whereas the other PCs do not offer that option.

I did read suggestions
    HERE
    to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas? We are not using picture security on any pf the PCs. Any tips or help will be greatly appreciated.

Victor_Sepulveda, Aug 15, 2018
  4. eculeus Win User

V. 1703 resizes/repositions program windows after turning off screen

Hello all,

I updated Windows 10 (64 Bit) to Version 1703 yesterday. Since doing so, Windows resizes and repositions the program windows on my laptop display whenever I turn off (and on again) my screen.

I use Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 and all drivers are up to date.

I searched in other forums and found entries about similar problems with Windows 7, but only when users were working on several screens at the same time. I have only one, which is integrated in my laptop.

Please let me know if you have similar problems or an idea for how to solve this.

Thank you!

eculeus, Aug 15, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 repositions/resizes programs when locking or switching users - Similar Threads - repositions resizes programs

2. Windows 10 windows resizing and repositioning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 windows resizing and repositioning: My windows in Windows 10 desktop are resizing and repositioning to the upper left corner AFTER windows update automatically runs weekly in the middle of the night. When I wake the computer up, the windows are shrunk and repositioned and I need to adjust. Is there any way to...
  3. Windows 10 windows resizing and repositioning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 windows resizing and repositioning: My windows in Windows 10 desktop are resizing and repositioning to the upper left corner AFTER windows update automatically runs weekly in the middle of the night. When I wake the computer up, the windows are shrunk and repositioned and I need to adjust. Is there any way to...
  4. Windows 10 windows resizing and repositioning

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 10 moves and resizes all windows after switching users

Windows 10 moves and resizes all windows after switching users: My question is exactly the same as the one found in this previous thread:https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-moves-and-resizes-windows-after/a903d961-c3d5-4a05-8728-0180ae848087?auth=1I have all my windows open the way I want them. Having the...
  6. How do I stop windows repositioning and resizing?

How do I stop windows repositioning and resizing?: I know I've been here a lot lately. I have used Windows since 1997, but I have a new HP desktop machine, and I am having issues I've never encountered before. If I power off the monitor and later power it on, I find my app windows have resized smaller and reposition to...
  7. Windows 10 Repositioning and Resizing

Windows 10 Repositioning and Resizing: How can I prevent Windows 10 windows from repositioning and resizing after sleep? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-repositioning-and-resizing/c154f906-b973-4efa-9d15-3b181f17ff31
  8. Program windows resize every time when I lock the screen

Program windows resize every time when I lock the screen: Hi there, First time post question here. Recently I installed a new windows 10 system, and I noticed every time after I lock the screen, and log in again. The program's windows resize itself. So I have to manually change the size for each programs. Please help....
  9. Application windows resizing and shifting after user-switching

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Application windows resizing and shifting after user-switching: Whenever I switch users, all open application windows resize and shift position; does this happen to anyone else? I've searched on the web and here and haven't been able to find anything, so apologies if this has been posted before. To be clear, this is the following...
  10. V. 1703 resizes/repositions program windows after turning off screen

in Windows 10 Support
    V. 1703 resizes/repositions program windows after turning off screen: Hello all, I updated Windows 10 (64 Bit) to Version 1703 yesterday. Since doing so, Windows resizes and repositions the program windows on my laptop display whenever I turn off (and on again) my screen. I use Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 and all drivers are up to date....