Windows 10: Windows 10 Require password to login, but allow PIN to unlock locked workstation

Discus and support Windows 10 Require password to login, but allow PIN to unlock locked workstation in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi Everyone, Is there a method to require a password on login, but then allow PIN to unlock a locked workstation? The problem is that when users... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by naleo_oz, Aug 9, 2018.

1. naleo_oz Win User

Windows 10 Require password to login, but allow PIN to unlock locked workstation

Hi Everyone,

Is there a method to require a password on login, but then allow PIN to unlock a locked workstation?

The problem is that when users always use their PIN, they forget their password. If they are subsequently required to login to another workstation, or their password expires, they cannot reset or renew the password.

In our environment, we require and enforce complex passwords. Workstations also lock after 10 mins of activity. For some users, continually entering a 'complex' password is a hassle and a constant source of complaint. As a result PIN's were enabled .... but now the number of service requests for 'forgotten password' have spiked.

One solution would be to require users to enter their password on login, but allow a PIN to unlock the screen.

Does anyone know if there is a method to achieve this?

Paul

:)

naleo_oz, Aug 9, 2018

2. Windows 10 asking for login password even after upgrading the virus protection on the PC instead of PIN password. How to switch back to PIN password?

Hello Billy,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• Do you see Sign-in options option on the lock screen?
    • Are you using Microsoft account to login into the user profile?

If you have set an alpha-numeric password at the installation stage of Windows 10 OS and then changed the sign-in option to PIN password, you will be able to choose between the passwords entries at the login screen of the Windows.

Method 1: I suggest you to check if you see the
    Sign-in options option on the lock screen. If you do, click on the option and check if you can choose and enter PIN password to access your user profile.

Method 2: If the option is not presented on the lock screen and you are using Microsoft account to login into the user profile,
    I suggest you to change the login password from the link below and set PIN password to your user account by following the steps below.

https://account.live.com/password/reset

• Press Windows logo key on the keyboard, type Settings and select the top most search result.
    • Select Accounts from the options and click on
      Sign-in options
      from the left side panel of the window.
    • Click on Add under PIN settings, verify your account and setup a new PIN password for your user account.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Aug 9, 2018
  3. Marampata Win User
    new requirement: lock screen password or pin

Thanks. I was able to get in with new password once internet connection was established. I have n idea why password was newly required for lock screen, but I intend to change back to no password or pin needed for login since the computer is inside my
    home.

Marampata, Aug 9, 2018
  4. Hellebore Win User

Windows 10 Require password to login, but allow PIN to unlock locked workstation

Scheduler: workstation unlock

I have this small thing that I want to do: When my laptop resumes sleep/hibernate I want to run a small script (.bat) that requires to be run as administrator.

I have created a Task on Scheduler.
    • Under General tab I've been experimented with all the options.
    • On Triggers tab I've used "logon" and "startup" which have succeded but are useless to me; so the only active I have now is "workstation unlock".
    • Actions: start a program
    So, while my task is able to start on logon and startup why can't it start on workstation unlock?

Hellebore, Aug 9, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Require password to login, but allow PIN to unlock locked workstation - Similar Threads - Require password login

2. Is it possible to require a password to log into a domain workstation, but unlock it with...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to require a password to log into a domain workstation, but unlock it with...: So when users log in first thing, they would still need a password. But if they lock their desktop for a break and come back, they could unlock it with just a pin number?...
  3. Is it possible to require a password to log into a domain workstation, but unlock it with...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is it possible to require a password to log into a domain workstation, but unlock it with...: So when users log in first thing, they would still need a password. But if they lock their desktop for a break and come back, they could unlock it with just a pin number?...
  4. Is it possible to require a password to log into a domain workstation, but unlock it with...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. AFTER UPDATE- LOGIN REQUIRES PIN. I USE A PASSWORD - LOCKED OUT OF MY LAPTOP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    AFTER UPDATE- LOGIN REQUIRES PIN. I USE A PASSWORD - LOCKED OUT OF MY LAPTOP: Hello. I have the same issue with a different situation. I have Windows 11. My Dell laptop was turned on a couple of days ago and an windows update immediately started. Was not concerned until I finally went to login and a pin was requested instead of a password. I have never...
  6. AFTER UPDATE- LOGIN REQUIRES PIN. I USE A PASSWORD - LOCKED OUT OF MY LAPTOP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    AFTER UPDATE- LOGIN REQUIRES PIN. I USE A PASSWORD - LOCKED OUT OF MY LAPTOP: Hello. I have the same issue with a different situation. I have Windows 11. My Dell laptop was turned on a couple of days ago and an windows update immediately started. Was not concerned until I finally went to login and a pin was requested instead of a password. I have never...
  7. Unable to disable Password/Pin required to login on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unable to disable Password/Pin required to login on Windows 10: In the past I have been able to login to my computer automatically without needing to enter my account password or the pin. However after re-installing windows 10 pro recently I am now unable to do this. I can see the instructions like in the following thread:...
  8. Locked out of Windows login with PIN, password, Face recognition

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Locked out of Windows login with PIN, password, Face recognition: Hello All, A few days ago I tried to log into my HP laptop, I usually do this with face recognition, but this time it did not work. I tried my PIN, it said "incorrect", I then tried my password which it also said was incorrect. I then tried my 3 questions to reset/recover my...
  9. Login: Always Require PIN, Never Allow Password?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Login: Always Require PIN, Never Allow Password?: It seems I can add a PIN option in Win-I > Accounts > Sign-in options. This adds the PIN as an alternative to the password on the lock screen. That seems to reduce security: now there are two ways into the machine. I understand the PIN can be more secure than a password. Is...
  10. Scheduler: workstation unlock

in Windows 10 Support
    Scheduler: workstation unlock: I have this small thing that I want to do: When my laptop resumes sleep/hibernate I want to run a small script (.bat) that requires to be run as administrator. I have created a Task on Scheduler. Under General tab I've been experimented with all the options. On Triggers...