Windows 10: Windows 10 reset function, reinstall drivers?

Discus and support Windows 10 reset function, reinstall drivers? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I just wanted to say, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to modern technology. So if my question doesn't make sense and needs rephrasing please... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Zeromous, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Zeromous Win User

Windows 10 reset function, reinstall drivers?

Hi,

I just wanted to say, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to modern technology. So if my question doesn't make sense and needs rephrasing please let me know.

My notebook was having issues and would show multiple error screens. It was suggested to me that I should use the Windows 10 reset feature found under the Recovery tab in Settings. I clicked on, "Reset this PC", I then selected "Remove everything" So my hard drive was completely erased.

I'm happy to say everything went smoothly and my PC is running without any hiccups so far.

My question is, since I reinstalled Windows using this feature should I be install any drivers or is that already taken care of? Specifically, for the laptop monitor. If I don't install any drivers for this, could it have the potential to be dangerous for my eyes? I'm not sure if that's a stupid question but like I said, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to modern computers and software.

Some additional info about my machine:
    It's an Asus Q552UB-BHI7T12
    It was preinstalled with Windows 10, 64 bit and some bloatware.

:)

Zeromous, Jan 13, 2016

2. Windows 10 reset function, reinstall drivers?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Will my existing programs, hardware and drivers work on Windows 10?

Most applications and hardware drivers designed for Windows 7 or later should work with Windows 10. Of course, with significant changes expected in Windows 10, it is best you contact the software developer and hardware vendor to find out about support for
    Windows 10. Windows 10 setup will keep, upgrade, replace and might require that you install new drivers through Windows Update or from the manufacturers website.

Refer the below article for more information:

link:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/frequently-asked-questions-windows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

Hope this information helps, let us know if you need assistance regarding Windows.

Rakesh Narayanaswamy, Jan 13, 2016
  3. Zeromous1 Win User

Hi,

My notebook was having issues and would show multiple error screens. It was suggested to me that I should use the Windows 10 reset feature found under the Recovery tab in Settings. I clicked on, "Reset this PC", I then selected "Remove everything" So my hard
    drive was completely erased.

I'm happy to say everything went smoothly and my PC is running without any hiccups so far.

My question is, since I reinstalled Windows using this feature should I be install any drivers or is that already taken care of? Specifically, for the laptop monitor. If I don't install any drivers for this, could it have the potential to be dangerous for my
    eyes?

Some additional info about my machine:

It's an Asus Q552UB

It was preinstalled with Windows 10, 64 bit and some bloatware.

Zeromous1, Jan 13, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi Zeromous and welcome to Tenforums.

If everything is working fine, I wouldn't worry about it. Normally, any drivers Windows thinks you need will come through Windows Update. You could also open Device Manager and right-click on your display driver and select Check for Updates to see if there is something available. But, your system came with W10 pre-installed, so you should be fine with your reset. So, if it's working well, I wouldn't worry about it. *Smile Cheers!

simrick, Jan 13, 2016
  5. Zeromous Win User
    Hey Simrick, thanks for the welcome.

That's really neat, so, Windows 10 updates will search for driver installs and updates for your PC?

Oh, so there's no possibility of the monitor damaging my eyes if certain drivers for the monitor weren't installed? Of course, I know there will be occasional eye strain but I know that happens when using any monitor.

Thanks!

Zeromous, Jan 14, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    Yes,....which can be a good thing and a bad thing *Confused because some people have had problems with Windows updating drivers that people didn't want updated....but that's not something you have to worry about. Your system came with Windows 10, so it was built for Windows 10 and not "updated" from Windows 7 or Windows 8.x (which is where some people have run into driver problems). So, you have nothing to worry about. *Wink

Um...no. Did someone say something to concern you about this? Not to worry. Even if for some reason ASUS had forgotten to install your monitor drivers before you bought your system, Windows has a generic driver which would be auto-installed - you'd have to have some graphics driver in order for you to see your screen! *Biggrin

Yep, eye strain is just something you have to be aware of for yourself. Everyone is different - depends on the brightness of your screen, the brightness of the room you're in, etc.

Please go ahead and mark the thread solved, if you are satisfied.

Have fun with Windows 10! *Thumbs

simrick, Jan 14, 2016
  7. Zeromous Win User
    Thanks again Simrick, your explanations really give me some peace of mind. Oh, and yes, someone mentioned to me that specific drivers have to be installed for your display/monitor otherwise it would display the screen in a way the manufacturer didn't intend. Perhaps they were wrong.

I marked it as solved! Your help is much appreciated.

Zeromous, Jan 15, 2016
  8. simrick Win User

Okay, well I went looking at the specs of that laptop on BestBuy and it says it comes with nVidia 940M discreet graphics. That's a gaming laptop. If you're gaming, let's just check and see if your "system reset" maintained that driver, or put a Windows generic driver in.

Type Device Manager in the search box:

Windows 10 reset function, reinstall drivers? [​IMG]

In Device manager, click the little arrow to expand your display:

On the 940m, hover the mouse over it, and right-click; select Properties:

Have a look in the driver tab. See if it says nVidia.

simrick, Jan 15, 2016
  9. Zeromous Win User
    I just checked, it does.

Thank you so much for going out of your way to visit BestBuy and helping so much!

Zeromous, Jan 17, 2016
  10. simrick Win User
    Not a problem at all! Glad everything is well! *Thumbs

simrick, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 reset function, reinstall drivers? - Similar Threads - reset function reinstall

2. Missing functionality after Windows 10 Reset

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing functionality after Windows 10 Reset: Hi,I recently reset windows on my computer which removed my installed programs but also removed some key windows features as well.I can no longer use several taskbar features such as the start button, search bar, internet connector and more.I believe this may be due to...
  3. Missing functionality after Windows 10 Reset

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Missing functionality after Windows 10 Reset: Hi,I recently reset windows on my computer which removed my installed programs but also removed some key windows features as well.I can no longer use several taskbar features such as the start button, search bar, internet connector and more.I believe this may be due to...
  4. Can't update windows, reinstall drivers, reset pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can't update windows, reinstall drivers, reset pc: Hi, i've been having problems with updating windows, reinstalling drivers and resetting my pc. i get the error code 0x800703f1 when i try to update, i get there was a problem with resetting your pc when resetting, and i get the system cannot find the file specified or the...
  5. trouble reinstalling / reset windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    trouble reinstalling / reset windows 10: hello , after i felt my pc was slower and my ssd was no longer booting that fast after some windows update a month ago ( i also have a weird bug with administator permission creating file ) i wanted to reset windows 10, but i always get and error ( there was a problem ... no...
  6. resetting and reinstalling windows 10

resetting and reinstalling windows 10: Ok i am about to reset my pc as gaming performance is bad my bios is UEFI . Question is should delete secure boot keys in bios or load defaults after deletion before reinstalling windows thanks 140119
  7. Reset or reinstall Windows 10

Reset or reinstall Windows 10: I wonder if reinstalling Windows Using the Rcovery system, I will have the same copy of the one I had previously installed on my computer or I have to get a new one. Because when I clean a virus, the virus leave damage to the system....
  8. Windows 10 will not recover, reset, or reinstall

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 will not recover, reset, or reinstall: I have a Surface Book with 16G of memory, I7, and over half of the memory drive available. Last week I tried to recover my computer that simply said "There is a problem that prevents recovery". Nothing has changed. I tried a reset and even a clean install. Nothing is...
  9. Windows 10 Reset; Norton's will Not Reinstall

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 10 Reset; Norton's will Not Reinstall: One of our eMachine (AMD Chip) PC’s, Windows 10 will notinstall Norton’s Security after I reset Windows. I follow prompts then an error pops, with gotechnical support. It says to reload,the Downloader starts then the programs loads and runs, and then just disappearsafter...
  10. Confused about Windows 10 Reset Function

Confused about Windows 10 Reset Function: I'm confused about the Windows 10 reset function and need some enlightenment. Today, I decided to do a Windows 10 reset and wipe out my existing HD of all of the old apps, files, etc. (I have it all backed up with Acronis backup). I thought the correct procedure was to...