Windows 10: Windows 10 resource usage

Discus and support Windows 10 resource usage in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; One of the good things is the small footprint of Windows 10. In my installation it uses only 8.5GB on the C partition and less than 500MB of RAM. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by whs, Oct 20, 2014.

1. WHS
    whs Win User

Windows 10 resource usage

One of the good things is the small footprint of Windows 10. In my installation it uses only 8.5GB on the C partition and less than 500MB of RAM.

I am sure that willl grow somewhat with the RTM edition, but it is a good start.

Windows 10 resource usage [​IMG]

:)

2. kenken23 Win User

WINDOWS 10 RESOURCES USAGE

Why use so much resources??

kenken23, Oct 20, 2014
  3. Mobile hotspot problem.

Network usage in Windows 10 is generally due to:

Updates

UWP App updates

Syncing like of Onedrive

Send a snip of Network Tab of resource monitor. Go to Start>Windows Admin tools and select the same.

Sumit Dhiman2, Oct 20, 2014
  4. Boozad Win User

Great spot, I never noticed how slimline this build was.

Boozad, Oct 20, 2014
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    When I did my upgrade that was one of the first things that caught my eye.
    MS did a nice job making the new OS smaller... I hope they can keep this up.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Oct 20, 2014
  6. adamf Win User
    I did an upgrade and my Windows directory is 21.5gb. This is about 8gb more than 8.1 was so it seems old versions are retained. I tried shrinking WinSxS with dsim /ResetBase but it didn't make any difference at all.

adamf, Oct 20, 2014
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Did you try removing the Windows.OLD and install files - you do this via the Disk cleanup options -- select system files.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 20, 2014
  8. Mystere Win User

Windows does adjust its memory usage based on how much memory you give it. So it looks like you only gave it 2GB, so it will slim itself down. If you gave it 4GB, it would most likely use more memory since there is more available.

I believe Microsoft may have fixed the bug that counted hard linked files multiple times, which made the WinSxS folder appear larger than it actually was... Or maybe it only applies to new hardlinks that get created (which could be why the folder seems bigger to some).

Mystere, Oct 20, 2014
  9. I have 6GB RAM, pagefile/superfetch disabled and it still takes less then 500MB.

TairikuOkami, Oct 20, 2014
  10. ... Did you try removing the Windows.OLD and install files - you do this via the Disk cleanup options -- select system files. ... +editJust came across Brink's Windows.old tutorial: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2...dows-10-a.html-edit

My Win10 Windows directory is only about 11 GB
    10,968,436,689 bytes

If Jimbo's suggestion does not clean up the space (although I think Windows.old is on C:\) then you could compare my listing to a listing on your machine.

I used the following command to generate the attached text file (zipped):
    cd \
    dir windows\ /s /a /og /o-s /oe > %TEMP%\WinList-b.txt

WinList.zip

Comparing the contents of the Windows folder tree is a lot of work

You might consider a clean full install, not an upgrade install.

This will prevent a rollback to Win8 - so think about it first.

That also means you would have to reinstall your applications, so make sure you have the license keys for any purchased programs BEFORE proceeding.

Bill

Slartybart, Oct 20, 2014
  11. WHS
    whs Win User
    I just checked my 8.1 which runs in exactly the same environment (VMware Player) and the RAM usage is over 900MBs. I do, however, grant that 8.1 is a final system and 10 is a beta. So things may change.

12. WHS
    whs Win User
    I would take an image or two of the current 8.1 system. Then a rollback is easy and you need not save anything else.

Thema:

1. Windows 10 resource usage - Similar Threads - resource usage

2. Visual Basic Command Line Compiler high Resource usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Visual Basic Command Line Compiler high Resource usage: Split from this thread. I do have the same issue and have followed the same procedure to scan my system, and here is my OneDrive link for the "FRST.txt" & "Addition.txt" 2 Items...
  3. Visual Basic Command Line Compiler high Resource usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Visual Basic Command Line Compiler high Resource usage: Split from this thread. I do have the same issue and have followed the same procedure to scan my system, and here is my OneDrive link for the "FRST.txt" & "Addition.txt" 2 Items...
  4. Windows Explorer Explorer.exe spiked resource usage and freezing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer Explorer.exe spiked resource usage and freezing.: Current specs: IntelR CoreTM i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz with 16GB RAM. My laptop recently blue screened and wouldn't boot, giving the error "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" on startup. Whatever. I used a restore point and started experiencing problems with Windows Explorer. At...
  5. Windows Explorer Explorer.exe spiked resource usage and freezing.

Windows Explorer Explorer.exe spiked resource usage and freezing.: Current specs: IntelR CoreTM i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz with 16GB RAM. My laptop recently blue screened and wouldn't boot, giving the error "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION" on startup. Whatever. I used a restore point and started experiencing problems with Windows Explorer. At...
  6. Windows Explorer Explorer.exe spiked resource usage and freezing.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Has there been any progress made related to the high resource usage by Desktop Window...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Has there been any progress made related to the high resource usage by Desktop Window...: It's infuriating when you're playing a game and it seems like out of nowhere you're taking a performance hit, or when you're working on emails, spreadsheets, etc. and what feels like 200ms input delay creeps in. Is there any way to get this thing on a leash? I know that there...
  8. Has there been any progress made related to the high resource usage by Desktop Window...

Has there been any progress made related to the high resource usage by Desktop Window...: It's infuriating when you're playing a game and it seems like out of nowhere you're taking a performance hit, or when you're working on emails, spreadsheets, etc. and what feels like 200ms input delay creeps in. Is there any way to get this thing on a leash? I know that there...
  9. 100% CPU usage in Resource Monitor constantly while Task Manager shows only between 1-3 %.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% CPU usage in Resource Monitor constantly while Task Manager shows only between 1-3 %.: Hi,My processor is since yesterday after I came back from holiday almost continuously at 100% CPU-use, or sometimes slightly under it...I have closed almost all programs but that has no influence....no real background processes too. At the same time the Task Manager shows...
  10. 100% CPU usage in Resource Monitor constantly while Task Manager shows only between 1-3 %.

100% CPU usage in Resource Monitor constantly while Task Manager shows only between 1-3 %.: Hi,My processor is since yesterday after I came back from holiday almost continuously at 100% CPU-use, or sometimes slightly under it...I have closed almost all programs but that has no influence....no real background processes too. At the same time the Task Manager shows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 phone resource usage