Windows 10: Windows 10 Restarts Instead Of Shut Down

Discus and support Windows 10 Restarts Instead Of Shut Down in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello everyone, As the title says, windows 10 restarts instead of shut down when i am pressing the "shut down" button. I had the same problem with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by meletis94, Aug 21, 2015.

1. meletis94 Win User

Windows 10 Restarts Instead Of Shut Down

Hello everyone,

As the title says, windows 10 restarts instead of shut down when i am pressing the "shut down" button. I had the same problem with windows 8.1, i searched all the internet to find a solution but i couldn't fix my problem.

I read on internet some of solutions about updating the motherboard, registry changes, even that razer synapse may cause the problem, i have updated my bios, uninstalled the razer synapse, even changed registry settings ( i had read about this on windows 8 forums), but nothing worked.

Could you please help me resolve this problem? It's really annoying that i have to re-press the "shut down" button so the pc turns off. Thank you in advance.

My pc build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590
    RAM: DDR3 4GB
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ti
    Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-D2V

:)

meletis94, Aug 21, 2015
  2. 'Mike P Win User

Windows 10 won't shut down, restarts instead

Might go to All Settings / Windows Updates / Recovery / Restart Now ... and choose Turn off my PC.

If that works make yourself a desktop shortcut to;

shutdown /r /o /t 4

'Mike P, Aug 21, 2015
  3. MattPB75 Win User
    Windows 10 won't shut down, restarts instead

A motherboard BIOS update solved this for me.

MattPB75, Aug 21, 2015
  4. rbmorse Win User

One of my machines was doing that after a recent update, but after I forced a full power-off shutdown and then a normal restart it has settled down and behaves normally, again.

If you have "fast start" enabled in BIOS/UEFI settings, the machine never really does shut down, rather it goes into a hybrid "deep sleep" state. To achieve a full shutdown one has to pull the plug from the wall, wait 30 sec or so, then plug it back in and restart normally.

rbmorse, Aug 21, 2015
  5. meletis94 Win User
    First of all thank you for the reply. I checked the "fast boot" option in BIOS and is disabled, also i have disabled the "fast startup" from power options along with the "hibernation" from CMD. I have even pulled out the power so i can clean my pc but nothing worked either.

I did around 10 formats this month. All clean installs, windows 8.1 and windows 10 but the problem never goes away. Somewhere i read that maybe it's a printer driver problem as i have hp printer, never tried to uninstall though, maybe i should do it. Alright, i'll continue the research and i hope to solve this problem.

EDIT: I have some errors from event log...

Service Control Manager error,
    Event ID:7031
    "The User Data Access_Session1 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 10000 milliseconds: Restart the service."

And, Directory-Services-SAM
    EVENT ID:12291]
    "SAM failed to start the TCP/IP or SPX/IPX listening thread"

These error may cause the unexpected restart instead of shut down. Can anyone help me fix these? Microsoft site doesn't really helps...

meletis94, Aug 22, 2015
  6. meletis94 Win User
    Edit:

I solved the problem...Go to "device manager" At keyboard HID and Mouse HID, also on Network adapter > power management, uncheck "allow this device to wake up computer". This stopped my computer from restarting instead of shut down.

I believe it will also work with any previous version of windows. I hope this helps.

meletis94, Aug 26, 2015
  7. If you prevent both the mouse & keyboard from waking the system, how do you wake the system from sleep or hibernate?

fracking4oil, Aug 26, 2015
  8. meletis94 Win User

When my pc is in sleep mode, pressing a button still wakes up my pc, so it has no effect. Why this? only Microsoft knows. As for hibernate, no one using this feature, but you can test yourself.*Smile

meletis94, Aug 27, 2015
  9. I use it, just because I haven't had much luck with sleep. Although after the latest updates it appears to wake, but with the secondary monitor set as the primary & only monitor.
    Win-key + P + down arrow twice + Enter resolves it, but I still choose to use hybernate for now.

fracking4oil, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Restarts Instead Of Shut Down - Similar Threads - Restarts Instead Shut

2. Laptop restarting instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop restarting instead of shutting down: Hello, so my laptop ASUS TUF Gaming with ryzen 5 and GTX 1650 has been having this problem for quite some time now. The problem is that every time I press shutdown my pc restarts. It never shuts down by itself so I have to force shut down it every time, which I'm afraid is...
  3. Laptop restarting instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop restarting instead of shutting down: Hello, so my laptop ASUS TUF Gaming with ryzen 5 and GTX 1650 has been having this problem for quite some time now. The problem is that every time I press shutdown my pc restarts. It never shuts down by itself so I have to force shut down it every time, which I'm afraid is...
  4. Windows 10: Restart instead of Shut Down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10: Restart instead of Shut Down: Hi. My old laptop had some problem where it was permanently attempting to do Windows Updates every boot but failing, with code 0x80070643, so I decided to disable Windows Updates. Right after that, something very weird happened that I've never seen. I was shutting down my old...
  5. Windows 10: Restart instead of Shut Down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10: Restart instead of Shut Down: Hi. My old laptop had some problem where it was permanently attempting to do Windows Updates every boot but failing, with code 0x80070643, so I decided to disable Windows Updates. Right after that, something very weird happened that I've never seen. I was shutting down my old...
  6. Windows 10: Restart instead of Shut Down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Computer restarts instead of shutting down

Computer restarts instead of shutting down: I don't know if this is a computer glitch or a Microsoft one. Lately, maybe since the last update, when I shut off the computer, it restarts instead. Not consistently, but maybe about half the time. I get the screen that says it's shutting down with the little circling dots...
  8. Windows restarts instead of shutting down

Windows restarts instead of shutting down: Hi all, I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro 6 laptop with Windows 10. In the beginning, when I wanted to shut down Windows, that worked as expected. But at a certain point in time maybe after a Windows update, Windows restarts every time when I select shutdown. The only...
  9. Computer shuts down instead of restarting

Computer shuts down instead of restarting: Hello, I have been having this issue for a while now. I have reinstalled the pc, complete clean installation, changed disk, added memory... all to no avail. Wheneveer I want to restart, the laptop just shuts down. I am keeping up with all sorts of updates. I have a ASUS...
  10. Windows 10 restarts instead of shutting down

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 restarts instead of shutting down: I upgraded to Windows 10 a while ago for the most part it works fine, but one day it stopped being able to shut down properly. When I tell it to shut down it does actually shut down but only for a second before it starts restarting. This problem has been going on for 2-3...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 restarts instead of shutting down

2. windows 10 restarts instead of sleep

3. windows 10 restarts instead of shut down

4. windows 10 restart instead of shut down,
  5. windows 10 reboots instead of sleep 2018,
  6. hp windows 10 pc restarts instead of shutting down,
  7. windows 10 restarts instead of shutdown