Windows 10: Windows 10 Retail Mode randomly shows up updating fresh images

Discus and support Windows 10 Retail Mode randomly shows up updating fresh images in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So I work in IT at a community college and we are getting ready for moving our staff over to Windows 10. We use Norton Ghost imaging to image all the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Marida, Aug 2, 2017.

1. Marida Win User

Windows 10 Retail Mode randomly shows up updating fresh images

So I work in IT at a community college and we are getting ready for moving our staff over to Windows 10. We use Norton Ghost imaging to image all the computers on campus which is a process- but hey it free!
    We have a wide variety of computers across campus which require us to generalize all of our images beforehand to make sure the drivers always work. We have run into problem after problem but have made lots of head-way. The problem we are stuck at the moment is Darrin DeYoung.

After imaging, the computer will boot into windows 10 just fine with our admin account working properly; but after installing the anniversary update the computer boots into retail mode seemingly out of nowhere with no reason as to why it is activated. There is no RetailAdmin account, just Darrin Deyoung.

It shouldn't be coming up since the only way to turn it on is either manually during the specialized pass in the generalization process or by clicking Windows 5 times in the activation settings; both of which were never done.

I know how to disable/delete it manually by following guides, but with the amount of computers we are dealing with we simply don't have the time to go through that process on every computer. If anyone has any insight as to why this is happening and how to fix our imaging process, please let me know!*Smile

:)

Marida, Aug 2, 2017
  2. GObonzo Win User

Windows 10 Pro x64, activated. Still on version 10.0.10240. Am I missing updates to newer retail builds?

System Information shows version as 10.0.10240. I have been running Windows 10 since Tech Preview builds and on into the retail release. Windows Update had constantly been running and has downloaded & installed many updates
    over these months.

Should the retail version of 10 x64 Pro be running a later build than this?

If so...

is there a download link(s) to Windows updates that will have my version up to date? The only answer i see here from Microsoft "Support" is to do a fresh install of 10240 and hope it updates accordingly. That is not happening.

I see links to build 10565 but they are the ISO files and appears they can not be used to update current version, only as a new fresh install. And I really don't want to go through Tech Preview or "Insider" builds anyway until they have been proven fully
    functional and are available as retail releases.

GObonzo, Aug 2, 2017
  3. Windows 10 retail USB installation stick

Is there a way to obtain a new firmware image tool for the Windows 10 retail USB installation stick to update it to build 14393? This USB stick is firmware locked in read-only mode and contains the original build 10240.

KeithWeisshar, Aug 2, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Welcome to the forum. Why are you putting an old version of win10 on not the latest update? If its pre anniversey then your going to get 2 massive updates disrupting the job and giving problems and you could find some wont work so it better to use the lates version. What version of ghost are you using as it wasnt compatable with 10 at one stage in version 15

Samuria, Aug 2, 2017
  5. Marida Win User
    Thanks!
    Well we tried running all the update prior to imaging but Darrin Deyoung would pop up and take over either immediately or after a few login attempts. Then we tried it without all the updates and we never saw Darrin until we ran the update one by one and caught it again, so we figured it was part of the update along with our imaging process that was the catalyst for Darrin.
    I'm using an older version 12.0.0.10517(my coworker says its compatible with Windows 10 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ )

Marida, Aug 2, 2017
  6. mrgeek Win User
    Did you try removing it in Disk Cleanup ? Check the box and enter trs10 when prompted for password.

Windows 10 Retail Mode randomly shows up updating fresh images [​IMG]

Here's an alternative method - http://www.askvg.com/tip-how-to-deac...in-windows-10/

Whatever you do, do NOT activate the retail mode, it will overwrite all User accounts and roll computer back to base Windows 10 install.

mrgeek, Aug 2, 2017
  7. Marida Win User
    I'm looking for a preventative fix.

Marida, Aug 2, 2017
  8. cereberus Win User

I would never use Ghost anymore for image backups.

There are many far superior and reliable free tools eg Macrium Reflect Free (best in opinion of most on this forum), AoEMI Backupper ec.

cereberus, Aug 2, 2017
  9. Marida Win User
    We don't have much use for those(unless i'm just naive). The intent for these images isn't for backing up files continuously; we just need to copy-paste systems. Until we get a ghostcast server setup we have just been creating an image of a pc for the intended classroom and then formatting the new pc's with the new image. No need for partitioning or any other features.

Marida, Aug 2, 2017
  10. DavidY Win User
    I'm not sure that the Free licence for Macrium Reflect would cover usage in this scenario (that is, not just personal use) in any case?

DavidY, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Retail Mode randomly shows up updating fresh images - Similar Threads - Retail Mode randomly

2. Image not showing up.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Image not showing up.: So I'm trying to change my skin on Minecraft and I downloaded a skin to use. The problem is that when I click the "browse" button the file I have downloaded doesn't show up. The file however will show up if I click file explore app. This isn't just for Minecraft but happened...
  3. Image not showing up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Image not showing up.: So I'm trying to change my skin on Minecraft and I downloaded a skin to use. The problem is that when I click the "browse" button the file I have downloaded doesn't show up. The file however will show up if I click file explore app. This isn't just for Minecraft but happened...
  4. Image not showing up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Stuck in retail mode

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Stuck in retail mode: I purchased a laptop from Walmart that is stuck in retail mode. When I tried the steps on Microsoft support to deactivate the retail mode it pops up a screen to click yes or no for administrator privileges. However, the yes button is not there only the no which is grey....
  6. Reinstalled Windows 10 but it showed as RETAIL channel

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reinstalled Windows 10 but it showed as RETAIL channel: First of all I would like to say that I am not that good with computers. I bought a computer in 2017 with the OEM, and I decided to change it to a Linux OS, and after a few years when I decided to come back to Windows, I went to a local computer shop, he reinstalled Windows...
  7. Will Windows retail and Office retail Update?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will Windows retail and Office retail Update?: Will Windows 10 Pro retail and MS Office 2019 Pro Plus retail Update?or do we need "volume" versions to get regular updates?Thanks.-- Rawat https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/will-windows-retail-and-office-retail-update/91682143-a719-4796-8d27-10ba51c39b9e
  8. Windows 10 retail usb image.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 retail usb image.: If there are users having retail windows 10 usb please contact me i have questions im looking for a long time. I bought box but it came with 1607 version and id like to ask people with later versions some questions. Thanks. 168613
  9. Windows 10 Enterprise Retail in S mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Enterprise Retail in S mode: To Whom it May Concern, **** is Microsoft up to? I built a PC, purchased your operating system for that PC, and now Microsoft has this "S" mode which won't even allow me to install third party software even if I want to? And when I read the "S" Mode faq, it even says...
  10. ReCaptcha image not showing up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ReCaptcha image not showing up: So my friend has a problem on his PC in which ReCaptcha image is not showing, not just on Google Chrome, Opera... but on the whole PC too, ha has Windows 10. I told him to crate an VPN extension, since there was no VPN to Croatia he created it on Spain, and surprisingly the...