Windows 10: windows 10 retail version

Discus and support windows 10 retail version in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; hi, please can some one help me i have a retail copy of windows 10 that i purchased at a pc store its still unopened . the question i have is its been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by kev777, Sep 26, 2017.

1. kev777 Win User

windows 10 retail version

hi, please can some one help me i have a retail copy of windows 10 that i purchased at a pc store its still unopened . the question i have is its been on my shelf about a year, will i still be able to use it at some point? thank you, *Smile

:)

kev777, Sep 26, 2017

2. Windows 10 PC re-build???

No. If you have the full retail version of Windows 7 or 8, then Windows 10 will be the full retail version too.

ChristopherPovey, Sep 26, 2017
  3. xfer of windows 10

The ability to transfer your Windows 10 license will depend on how Windows 10 was configured on your computer.

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Retail - can transfer it

OEM - cannot transfer it

Learn more:

Andre Da Costa, Sep 26, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Welcome to TenForums @kev777

Yes, but it will be for an earlier build, probably Anniversary update (1607), maybe even the one before that (1511). The retail key is valid for any version, so you could download new install media from Microsoft using their Media Creation Tool. You must install the edition your key is for (Home or Pro).
    Download Windows 10 ISO File

Or you could just install the one you have got, windows update would then update you to the latest version.

5. kev777 Win User
    thank you, for your help.*Smile

kev777, Sep 26, 2017
  6. I'd use the disc it came with for a frisbee or a drink coaster. The key is all that matters at this point.

DeaconFrost, Sep 26, 2017
  7. Scramjet Win User
    I also bought a retail copy from Bestbuy canada when I built my new system a couple months ago and noticed it was dated 2016. I contacted MS and they assured me I could download the latest Media Creation Tool and place it on the USB drive to have a more recent copy. So I am happy about that.

cheers

Scramjet, Sep 27, 2017
  8. windows 10 retail version

Put it on "the" USB drive or "a" USB drive? I ask because rumor has it, the USB drive you get from Microsoft is read only? Can you confirm or deny that? I'd like to know for future reference.

alphanumeric, Sep 29, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    USB flash drives purchased with Windows 10 installers preinstalled are normally read only drives.

cereberus, Sep 29, 2017
  10. zivshosh Win User
    cleanup system did the trick
    thank you all
    problem is solved
    only mess as expected after updates is in associations... really unnecessary headache. wish it were as in win7

zivshosh, Sep 29, 2017
  11. That's my understanding also. Just want somebody that has one to confirm it for me. Do you have one?

alphanumeric, Sep 29, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    USB flash drives purchased with Windows 10 installers preinstalled are read only drives.

I quoted @cereberus. All GENUINE Windows 10 flash drives from Microsoft are read only.

NavyLCDR, Sep 30, 2017
  13. windows 10 retail version

That's good enough for me. *Wink Thanks for confirming.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. windows 10 retail version - Similar Threads - retail version

2. Why won't my valid copy of windows server 2016 activate. Full retail version on NEW hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why won't my valid copy of windows server 2016 activate. Full retail version on NEW hard drive: i had to replace my hard drives on my system running Windows Server 2016. I purchased a retail version of this software. After installing it won't activate & the trouble shooter won't work. how do I get this VALID version to activate?...
  3. Why won't my valid copy of windows server 2016 activate. Full retail version on NEW hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Why won't my valid copy of windows server 2016 activate. Full retail version on NEW hard drive: i had to replace my hard drives on my system running Windows Server 2016. I purchased a retail version of this software. After installing it won't activate & the trouble shooter won't work. how do I get this VALID version to activate?...
  4. Why won't my valid copy of windows server 2016 activate. Full retail version on NEW hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Can I change my windows 10 oem to a retail version of windows 10 in 2023 ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Can I change my windows 10 oem to a retail version of windows 10 in 2023 ?: Hi, I currently use an OEM version of windows 10 on my fairly old computer. I'm planning to change pretty much all my hardware except for my more recent ssd where my windows is installed. I'd like to buy a retail windows license to be able to move my ssd to a new hardware...
  6. Can I change my windows 10 oem to a retail version of windows 10 in 2023 ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I change my windows 10 oem to a retail version of windows 10 in 2023 ?: Hi, I currently use an OEM version of windows 10 on my fairly old computer. I'm planning to change pretty much all my hardware except for my more recent ssd where my windows is installed. I'd like to buy a retail windows license to be able to move my ssd to a new hardware...
  7. Can I change my windows 10 oem to a retail version of windows 10 in 2023 ?

8. windows 11 pro is a retail version? please confirm.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 11 pro is a retail version? please confirm.: windows 11 pro is a retail version? please confirm. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-pro-is-a-retail-version-please-confirm/6e184499-4619-42fb-9124-8b5b097a2842
  9. windows 11 pro is a retail version? please confirm.

windows 11 pro is a retail version? please confirm.: windows 11 pro is a retail version? please confirm. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-pro-is-a-retail-version-please-confirm/6e184499-4619-42fb-9124-8b5b097a2842
  10. Where can I find a copy of Windows 10 Professional 64 bit retail version in Canada from a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where can I find a copy of Windows 10 Professional 64 bit retail version in Canada from a...: Refer to the question. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-can-i-find-a-copy-of-windows-10-professional/967ae755-ff8e-4680-9982-c1d1292f85a0

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can i use windows retail version to fix someone else pc