Windows 10: windows 10 / return alt tab previews of fixed size (windows 8 style)

Discus and support windows 10 / return alt tab previews of fixed size (windows 8 style) in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi guys. After win8 -> win10 update I noticed that alt tab previews sometimes have different size, especially when there are few opened apps they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by quadroval, Jul 17, 2016.

1. quadroval Win User

windows 10 / return alt tab previews of fixed size (windows 8 style)

Hi guys.
    After win8 -> win10 update I noticed that alt tab previews sometimes have different size, especially when there are few opened apps they become extremely huge which makes it hard to orientate between them quickly and I spent some time to glance the app I need. Alt tab on win 8 was perfect for me, previews were of fixed size, icons were bigger it was easy to choose the app I need.
    Now in windows 10 I see those preview depend not only on number of opened apps, but of screen resolution too. For example, when I use monitor with laptop 1680x1050 or 1920x1080 the preview are really huge but when I use laptop screen which is 1366x768 the previews are quite ok. Previously i used AltTabTuner app but now it doesn't make any affect on alt tab preview.

So my question is: can I configure windows to use previews of fixed size when I press alt-tab?

I'm posting a few screenshots so you may better understand what I'm talking about

windows 10 / return alt tab previews of fixed size (windows 8 style) [​IMG]

the third screen is closest to what I'd be glad to achieve.

:)

quadroval, Jul 17, 2016

2. Alt-Tab in Windows 10

Awesome, this fixed the issue for me as well.

Is there any way to retain the Windows 10 style alt-tab visual with this fix?

boomhauerIII, Jul 17, 2016
  3. PeterK727 Win User
    Word 2016 Styles not working

I found that docked or undocked, or turning off Show Preview still has no effect. The Style Gallery at the top though works. So there is a disconnect between the Styles Gallery in the Ribbon and the Styles Window (the one you turn on/off with Alt+Ctrl+Shift+S).
    So at least there is something that works. Why MS cannot fixed something like this is mind boggling. Will have to wait for 2019 I guess.

PeterK727, Jul 17, 2016
  4. Edwin New Member

Hi @quadroval, welcome to tenforums.com! *Smile

I think it's the 'nature of the beast'! There's probably a way to accomplish what you want but I wouldn't know where to start.

For a different twist, you could use the old XP style switcher by pressing and holding right Alt, press and release left Alt then Tab to switch; they're a fixed size! *Wink

Edwin, Jul 17, 2016
  5. quadroval Win User
    Edwin, thanks for reply, sure win XP alt tab has fixed size items =) but I really enjoyed win8 previews and don't wanna come back to the old styles. Win 10 alt tab is usable but not perfect for me though. It seems my task is impossible to accomplish (I've glanced really huge amount of articles related to alt tab) so I guess I should let it be...

quadroval, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. windows 10 / return alt tab previews of fixed size (windows 8 style) - Similar Threads - return alt tab

2. alt tab returning to task bar

in Windows 10 Customization
    alt tab returning to task bar: Full screen apps and games keep minimizing itselfwhen i do alt tab the app minimize, same as clicking the app on the task bar, it always minimize https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/alt-tab-returning-to-task-bar/79a0bc2a-cadb-475f-9ad0-8350b8acdb27
  3. Windows 10 Alt + Tab

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Alt + Tab: I would like to revert the alt + tab functionality back to how it originally worked, where I could alt-tab back and forth between two recent windows, rather than having to scroll through every open window to get to the one I want. Every guide I've found online to do this no...
  4. Windows 10 alt tab

Windows 10 alt tab: How can I change tabs in windows 10 like I used to do it in windows 7. I used to do as following but its not working in windows 10. https://youtu.be/izAELokY6G8 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-alt-tab/9a672385-5e8c-4e5f-bfad-d63eda2c4116
  5. Weird issue, Alt Tab doesn't show window previews if the window was minimized and I alt tab...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird issue, Alt Tab doesn't show window previews if the window was minimized and I alt tab...: Here's a recording of it: https://streamable.com/hqjp3 (for some reason obs doesn't record the game in screen capture, but you can see the cursor change, that's when I alt tab into the game) This is what it looks like submitted by /u/SupDos [link] [comments]...
  6. Windows 10 Alt + Tab

Windows 10 Alt + Tab: My Alt + Tab has suddenly become noticeably slower compared to before. I have turned off Focus Assist as commonly advised by most articles on the internet regarding Alt + Tab lag in Windows 10 yet it still has not fixed the issue. I did notice that this began after having...
  7. Windows 10: ALT+TAB window previews are getting stuck

Windows 10: ALT+TAB window previews are getting stuck: I am on windows 10 and I have been for a while, but this has only just recently occurred recently. Whenever I press ALT+TAB to switch windows, normally when I release the keys it will switch to the window highlighted, however recently when I release ALT+TAB it does not...
  8. Windows 10: ALT+TAB window previews are getting stuck

Windows 10: ALT+TAB window previews are getting stuck: I am on windows 10 and I have been for a while, but this has only just recently occurred recently. Whenever I press ALT+TAB to switch windows, normally when I release the keys it will switch to the window highlighted, however recently when I release ALT+TAB it does not...
  9. Windows 8 Start Menu STYLE in Windows 10

Windows 8 Start Menu STYLE in Windows 10: Dear all, On my Asus UX305, I kept my Windows 8.1, because I actually like the Start Menu. I know that it is possible to have a similar setup in Windows 10, but it definitely does not look the same. Is there a way that I can edit the background of the Start Menu in...
  10. ALT+TAB window previews are getting stuck

in Windows 10 Support
    ALT+TAB window previews are getting stuck: Hello, I am on windows 10 and I have been for a while, but this has only just recently occurred in the last day. Whenever I press ALT+TAB to switch windows, normally when I release the keys it will switch to the window highlighted, however recently when I release...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows10 alt-tab size