Windows 10: Windows 10 reverted to windows XP all on its own.

Discus and support Windows 10 reverted to windows XP all on its own. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I originally had windows 7 pro and installed windows 10 when it was available for free. My machine typically is powered off when I am not using it.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SilkDragon, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Windows 10 reverted to windows XP all on its own.

I originally had windows 7 pro and installed windows 10 when it was available for free.
    My machine typically is powered off when I am not using it. The morning before the last day of the free download my computer reverted itself back to windows XP. I have no idea how it happened. It is asking me to activate my version of Wndows XP. I never had windows XP on that machine. It was purchased with Windows 7 professional.
    Had anyone else experience this ? If so what did you do.. I had not used that machine in a few weeks because its not my main computer.

:)

SilkDragon, Aug 20, 2016
  2. Linney Win User

Computer powering on all on its own

Windows 7, 8, and 10 are very similar, so don't just ignore the older solutions you find. Test them out to see if they still work.

There are many hardware devices (listed in Device Manager) that have this option as a check box under power management, "Allow this device to wake the computer". This article will show you what I mean, it is not a full list of all the devices. You could
    try removing the tick from the various check boxes.

Fix: Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power is greyed out

Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power grayed out

There may be other sections in your Bios that have "Wake on" options (more that you have mentioned).

Perhaps your pet Cat or a friendly Rat walked across your Keyboard (Lol)?

Use this as a guide (only) for Windows 10 as it was written for Windows 7 but is still applicable.

Information about power management setting on a network adapter

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2740020

Toshiba laptop won't stay in sleep mode after downloading Windows 10

Toshiba laptop won't stay in sleep mode after downloading Windows 10

If your machine has a Bios then enter it and check for settings there. It also might be a good idea to see if any Bios Update is available for your model from your OEM

Linney, Aug 20, 2016
  3. Computer powering on all on its own

Hi Eden,

Thank you for posting in Community.

We are glad to provide the assistance required to help resolve the issue.

Before we proceed, I would like you to provide the information stated below:

1. Did you make any changes prior to this issue?

2. Have you tried any troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue?

3. Did the issue arise recently?

For now, I suggest that you perform the methods below and check if you are able to Power Down your computer.

Method 1: Power Troubleshooter

This is an inbuilt tool which will help you detect and fix error that pertains to power. This will also provide the information about the error that caused the above issue. Follow the steps below to run the tool

• On the search bar type “Troubleshooting”
    • Click on “View All” left panel.
    • Click Power, new window will popup.
    • Follow the on screen instructions.

Method 2: Advanced Options.

• Tab on Win+R, in the dialog box type control system. This will open the system information page.
    • Click on the Advanced System Settings link located on the left menu pane.
    • Under Startup and Recovery, click on the Settings
      button.
    • Here under System Failure, uncheck the Automatic Restart
      box

Hope this helps

Vanessa Sohtun, Aug 20, 2016
  4. sn00ker Win User

Windows 10 reverted to windows XP all on its own.

The simple solution would be to do a clean install of Windows 10 since you said you had installed prior to the last day of the free upgrade

sn00ker, Aug 20, 2016
  5. Mystere Win User
    This just isn't possible. MS doesn't support XP anymore, and there is no way to "revert" to an OS that was never installed in the first place (Nevermind the fact that there is no upgrade path from XP to 10).

If XP is truly installed, that means someone in your home did it.

Mystere, Aug 20, 2016
  6. Grizzly Win User
    I agree. Probably someone tries to mess with you and swapped your drive with a drive that contains the XP installation.

Grizzly, Aug 20, 2016
  7. zooburner Win User
    Did you buy the computer second hand ? it may have had a hidden partition on with XP on it as the rescue partition ?

zooburner, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Windows 10 reverted to windows XP all on its own.

1. Windows 10 reverted to windows XP all on its own. - Similar Threads - reverted own

2. My computer updated to Win 11 without consent and reverted on its own to Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer updated to Win 11 without consent and reverted on its own to Win 10: Hello,I have been searching this forum for a solution to my problem... I have not found an answer.I started my computer like normal and it had updated to Windows 11 first time it done so successfully. I notice my desktop files are missing so I go into...
  3. My computer updated to Win 11 without consent and reverted on its own to Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer updated to Win 11 without consent and reverted on its own to Win 10: Hello,I have been searching this forum for a solution to my problem... I have not found an answer.I started my computer like normal and it had updated to Windows 11 first time it done so successfully. I notice my desktop files are missing so I go into...
  4. My computer updated to Win 11 without consent and reverted on its own to Win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. PC has reverted back to windows 8.1 on its own. How do I restore windows 10 and recover my...

PC has reverted back to windows 8.1 on its own. How do I restore windows 10 and recover my...: PC has reverted back to windows 8.1 on its own. How do I restore windows 10 and recover my files please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-has-reverted-back-to-windows-81-on-its-own-how/90ade2c4-a2c6-4f55-a7c1-76d0327d6b98
  6. PC has reverted back to windows 8.1 on its own. How do I restore windows 10 and recover my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC has reverted back to windows 8.1 on its own. How do I restore windows 10 and recover my...: PC has reverted back to windows 8.1 on its own. How do I restore windows 10 and recover my files please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pc-has-reverted-back-to-windows-81-on-its-own-how/90ade2c4-a2c6-4f55-a7c1-76d0327d6b98
  7. PC has reverted back to windows 8.1 on its own. How do I restore windows 10 and recover my...

8. Win 10 1909 Install reverts to 1803 on its own

Win 10 1909 Install reverts to 1803 on its own: Hello, Our company is pushing out the 1909 install currently on 1803. The install takes an inordinately long time but does successfully install after several hours. HOWEVER, for reasons unknown, the laptop reverts back to 1803 within a day or two afterward. Our tech support...
  9. Window 10 reverted back to Windows 8.1 on its own, lost all files and program

Window 10 reverted back to Windows 8.1 on its own, lost all files and program: My Dell computer reverted back to Windows 8.1 and I lost all my documentation, pictures and programs. I went back to the upgrade site and reloaded windows 10 but I have none of my file programs, documents and pictures. I need to know what can I do to get the old windows 10 to...
  10. Win10 always reverting to its own graphic and pdf apps (Photos & Edge)

Win10 always reverting to its own graphic and pdf apps (Photos & Edge): To who may solve this problem: Since upgrading (much to my will) to Win 10, I have been confronted with a highly vexing situation. Indeed, whatever I do or tweak, either directly with a right click or via Control Panel, using various methods to dedicate a certain file...