Windows 10: Reset Screenshot Index Counter in Windows 10

Discus and support Reset Screenshot Index Counter in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Tutorials to solve the problem; How to: Reset Screenshot Index Counter in Windows 10 How to Reset the Screenshot Index Counter in Windows 10 [img] Information Sometimes it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Tutorials' started by Cluster Head, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Reset Screenshot Index Counter in Windows 10

How to: Reset Screenshot Index Counter in Windows 10

How to Reset the Screenshot Index Counter in Windows 10

Reset Screenshot Index Counter in Windows 10 [​IMG]
    Information Sometimes it's simpler to show someone what's on your screen than it is to explain it. Windows lets you take a picture of the screen so you can save, print, or share what you see. This is referred to as taking a screenshot or screen capture.

You can take a screenshot and automatically save it as a file, take a screenshot without saving it as a file, or take a screenshot of only one window (instead of the whole screen).

These screenshots are saved in your C:\Users\(user-name)\Pictures\Screenshots folder with a file name of Screenshot (#).png with # indicating the screenshot index counter. Each screenshot you take increases the counter # in the file name incrementally by one.

This tutorial will show you how to reset the screenshot index counter back to 1 for the Screenshot (#).png files for your account in Windows 10.

Note The screenshot index counter is stored as the data value of the ScreenshotIndex DWORD in the Explorer key in the registry location below. The .bat file and context menu in this tutorial sets the ScreenshotIndex DWORD value back to 1 in order to reset it.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

CONTENTS:
    • Option One: To Reset Screenshot Index Counter using a BAT File
    • Option Two: To Reset Screenshot Index Counter using Desktop Context Menu

EXAMPLE: Screenshots folder

OPTION ONE [/i] To Reset Screenshot Index Counter using a BAT File
    1. Click/tap on the Download button below to download the .bat file below, then run it.
    Reset_Screenshot_Index_Counter.bat

Download
    2. If prompted, click/tap on Run.
    NOTE: If you like, you can stop getting the Run prompt by unblocking the downloaded .bat file.

3. You will now notice a command prompt quckly open and close while applying the changes to your registry.

4. The screenshot index counter will now be reset.

OPTION TWO [/i] To Reset Screenshot Index Counter using Desktop Context Menu

Note While you must be signed in as an administrator to add or remove the "Reset Screenshot Index Counter" context menu, all users will be able to use the context menu for their accounts.

1. Do step 2 or step 3 below for what you would like to do.

2. To Remove "Reset Screenshot Index Counter" from Desktop Context Menu
    NOTE: This is the default setting.
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Remove_Reset_Screenshot_Index_Counter_from_Desktop_Context_Menu.reg

Download

3. To Add "Reset Screenshot Index Counter" to Desktop Context Menu
    A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.

Add_Reset_Screenshot_Index_Counter_to_Desktop_Context_Menu.reg

Download
    4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6. If prompted, click on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7. You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

That's it,
    Shawn

Related Tutorials

:)

Cluster Head, Mar 10, 2016
  2. Gunzorla Win User

Screenshot Index Counter Not Auto Reset ?

When I Take Screenshot by Press Windows+PrtScn it Automatically Saves those Pictures by Naming them “Screenshot (1).png” “Screenshot (2).png” But I When Delete it, That Counter Still Keeps Going up (Screenshot (3).png) No Reset to 1 or 2 Again by Automatically ?

Manual Reset Index Counter is Only Way ?
    Screenshot Index Counter - Reset in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Gunzorla, Oct 26, 2019
  3. mrgeek Win User

Lightshot is excellent, small 3rd party tool that will reset counter after you delete. Choice of png or jpg save, remembers last save location and many drawing tools w/o having to open a drop down menu. If you want to try, go here, read tutorial but very intuitive and easy to learn in few minutes - Lightshot — screenshot tool for Mac & Win

mrgeek, Oct 26, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Reset Screenshot Index Counter in Windows 10

Brink, Oct 26, 2019
  5. Gunzorla Win User

I Already Use it and Want to Give 5 Star Rate. That is Amazing 3rd Party for Take Any Screenshot Reset Screenshot Index Counter in Windows 10 :)

Thank for Recommend

Gunzorla, Oct 26, 2019
  6. Anne Ros Win User
    Windows 10 indexing - reset to default options

Hi, David.

To help you rebuild your Windows Index, we suggest the article that we've
    found with similar issue and see if the provided steps will work for you.

If you need further assistance, let us know.

Anne Ros, Oct 26, 2019
Thema:

Reset Screenshot Index Counter in Windows 10

1. Reset Screenshot Index Counter in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Reset Screenshot Index

2. Reset screenshot number windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reset screenshot number windows 11: How do you reset the screenshot numbering in Windows 11?My windows specs areEdition = Windows 11 HomeVersion = 22H2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-screenshot-number-windows-11/7453f3db-4be0-4c16-b2d9-0cbb05b79d82
  3. Reset screenshot number windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reset screenshot number windows 11: How do you reset the screenshot numbering in Windows 11?My windows specs areEdition = Windows 11 HomeVersion = 22H2 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-screenshot-number-windows-11/7453f3db-4be0-4c16-b2d9-0cbb05b79d82
  4. Difference between Get-Counter -counter \objects\Processes and Get-Counter -Counter...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Difference between Get-Counter -counter \objects\Processes and Get-Counter -Counter...: Hi I notice I get two different output from running "Get-Counter -counter \objects\Processes" and "Get-Counter -Counter \System\Processes". "Get-Counter -Counter \System\Processes" seems to give the same output as when I am executing "Get-Processmeasure" Can anyone...
  5. Reset a account login counter/lockout threshold in Windows 10 Home

in Windows 10 Customization
    Reset a account login counter/lockout threshold in Windows 10 Home: Good day. May i request help, I am sharing a printer from pc 2 using the account (user b) and accessing the printer from pc 1 (user a). I am sharing it in the network via IP address. Suddenly, I cannot print anymore as I noticed that account credentials is not accepted...
  6. How to reset the Screenshots counter on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to reset the Screenshots counter on Windows 10: Microsoft improved the screenshot taking functionality of Windows in Windows 10 significantly. The operating system comes with plenty of options to take screenshots, and one of the easiest options is to use the keys Windows+Print for that. A new screenshot is saved to the...
  7. Counter Strike on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Counter Strike on Windows 10: I would just like to report that Counter Strike Global Offensive is working fine with windows 10. I have seen no performance changes since my upgrade from windows 8.1. I have read, that players have had issues with Dota 2. I have an Nvidia Graphics card. 11322
  8. Search Indexer Always Resetting

in Windows 10 Support
    Search Indexer Always Resetting: Hi, so I noticed that my Search Indexer keeps resetting and starting from scratch. It gets to a very big number of indexed files a few hours later, then resets back to a low number whenever I check it. I went to the Event Viewer and I found what is crashing it: The search...
  9. Change Reset Account Lockout Counter for Local Accounts in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Change Reset Account Lockout Counter for Local Accounts in Windows 10: How to: Change Reset Account Lockout Counter for Local Accounts in Windows 10 How to Change Reset Account Lockout Counter for Local Accounts in Windows 10 [img] Information When you have the Account lockout duration. A disadvantage to setting Reset account lockout...
  10. Screenshot Index Counter Not Auto Reset ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Screenshot Index Counter Not Auto Reset ?: When I Take Screenshot by Press Windows+PrtScn it Automatically Saves those Pictures by Naming them “Screenshot (1).png” “Screenshot (2).png” But I When Delete it, That Counter Still Keeps Going up (Screenshot (3).png) No Reset to 1 or 2 Again by Automatically ? Manual...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reset screenshot index