Windows 10: Windows 10 S officially announced

Discus and support Windows 10 S officially announced in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Tweet — Twitter API (@user) date[/quote] At its #MicorsoftEDU event in New York City today, Microsoft has officially announced a new version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by z3r010, May 1, 2017.

1. z3r010 Win User

Windows 10 S officially announced

Tweet

— Twitter API (@user) date[/quote]

Read more:
    Windows 10 S officially announced - MSPoweruser
    Windows 10 S is Microsofts answer to Chrome OS - The Verge

See also:
    Introducing Windows 10 S - Streamlined for Security Superior Performance
    Windows 10 S FAQ
    Install Windows 10 S on a Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Update - May 18th 2017: Windows 10 Accessibility: What to Expect Later This Year - Windows 10 Forums

z3r010, May 1, 2017
  2. coopere Win User

e72 officially announced

nokia officially announced the e72 as the successor their popular e71. with some nice added features, its a worthy upgrade.

e72

coopere, May 1, 2017
  3. e72 officially announced

Full specs here:
    www.forum.nokia.com/devices/E72

It does seem nice and looks like the perfect upgrade for E71 users. Info below is taken from

AAS

Key changes from the Nokia E71

• The E72 runs S60 3rd Edition Feature Pack 2, which gives performance (speed and battery usage), usability (middle softkey, improved multitasking, FOTA with UDP, re-arranged settings and menus) and software architecture (Open C, PIPS, WRT, wider multimedia
      support, security enhancements) improvements.

• The messaging software suite has been updated (similar to the Nokia E75). Nokia Messaging and Mail for Exchange are now fully integrated into the Messaging application and there's support for multiple email account identities. For the consumer this means
      a new email client (based on Nokia Messaging), push email for consumer accounts (Gmail, Yahoo Mail, Hotmail, ISP) and updated Microsoft Exchange functionality. The device includes a lifetime subscription for Nokia Messaging.

Additionally, Ovi Chat, Nokia's instant messaging software, is pre-installed. It is accessible via the Contacts application, includes basic location features and supports Ovi accounts, Google Chat and Yahoo Messenger.

• Upgraded version of Quickoffice (version 5.3), includes full editing mode and support for Office 2007 documents.

• Support for Nokia N-Gage (via soical media press release, unconfirmed - see comments).

• Ovi Store will be pre-installed on the Nokia E72.

• The layout of the bottom row of the QWERTY keyboard has been changed. With a smaller space bar, there's room for two extra keys. The bottom row now consists of: function, shift, symbol, @, space bar, ?, !, ', Ctrl (previously: function, shift, @ space
      bar, ', ? and Chr). The control cluster has been redesigned, with the one touch keys made out of etched aluminium (similar to the E55). The D-pad now features a Optical Navi™ Key (optical 'track pad') for eaiser scrolling.

• There is a 3.5mm audio jack (previously 2.5 mm).

• A magnetometer (compass) has been added as a compliment to the GPS. Ovi Maps is included, along with a lifetime Explore license (pedestrian) and a trial (10 day) Drive license. The device ships with Ovi Maps version 3.0 (instead of Nokia Maps 2.0).

• Support for USB charging via microUSB port.

• The specification indicate that UPnP is supported, but it is unclear whether this would include the Home media software.

• Increased internal flash memory - up to 250 MB from 110 MB. Free RAM is expected to be around 80MB.

• Faster up and down connection speeds with support for 10.2 Mbps HSDPA and HSUPA (whether you can use these will depend on operator support).

• Call sound quality has been improved, with the addition of active noise cancellation.

Message Edited by psychomania on 15-Jun-2009 02:10 PM

psychomania---01, May 1, 2017
  4. cereberus Win User

To quote the wonderful but long deceased Scottish actor from Dad's Army - 'We're doomed".

cereberus, May 1, 2017
  5. pparks1 Win User
    Sweet. It's the Surface-RT all over again. Or perhaps the Zoon-2.

pparks1, May 1, 2017
  6. Brink
    Brink New Member
  7. Something that confused me a bit was they place 10 S between Home and Pro? Home appears to me, to have more features than 10 S? And the upgrade path from 10 S is to Pro, not to Home? The S stands for Streamlined but seems more like Starter to me? It does sound like a nice Secure platform for students though.

alphanumeric, May 1, 2017
  8. Superfly Win User

Ditto alpha.. not for me, but a good ploy by MS to forage into the Google-store-student market

The store apps needs to be beefed up tho' before it they can compete..

If they succeed, they will get Windows phone to take off as well..(I think that's the premise..)

Superfly, May 1, 2017
  9. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Is there anything likely to come out equivalent to Windows 7 Embedded.

That would be a decent equivalent to Windows S.

I'm not sure we all want to go off to "Cloud Cuckoo Land" with the amount of Hacks etc being done on these servers.

If "Farcebook", Amazon, Google, Instagram etc all have problems from time to time to say nothing of big Banks etc why on earth should people put more and more trust in the cloud -- and even less so when supposedly democratic countries like USA, UK etc are giving laws to give to Police / security agencies that empowers them to collect all details of anybody's internet access, sites visited and mobile phone calls and have to hold them on a database for 2 years (which in fact given the massive size of available HDD space - means forever) -- all in the interests of "National Security" -- a concept that nobody has ever had worldwide any success in challenging in a Court what that actually means and when does it end --if ever.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 1, 2017
  10. If it shows up on my MSDN Sub I'll have a look see. I have a spare desktop PC for that kind of stuff. Wouldn't be my daily driver though, that's for sure. If you think the Windows Store sucks, you should see what's available on the XBOX store. The Apps section sucks big time there. Slowly getting better, very slowly though.

alphanumeric, May 1, 2017
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

sometimes good though it is it's time to put a market to bed.

Windows Phone will just die --there aren't enough mainstream people like Banks, airlines, train companies issuing m-tickets etc who even recognize its existence.

Ms would actually make MORE money in beefing up android phones and improving the security on those devices.

I actually LIKE windows phones -- but it's a dead end --and what self respecting developer wants to work on a project that they feel is going nowhere.

A pity as this type of stuff sometimes happens -- e.g VHS vs Betamax, Radios with hideous cassette tape drives instead of decent minidiscs etc etc.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 1, 2017
  12. badrobot Win User
    This will definitely FAIL like the Windows RT.
    What MS needs to do is to come up with a different name and stay away from the word "Windows". Because consumer will automatically assume they can install all the x86 software they own when they see the word "Windows". It will cause a lot of disappointment.

badrobot, May 1, 2017
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

RT was even from Day one called "Rubbish Technology" --I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Ms has though deep pockets and can learn from its mistakes --trouble is these companies take FOREVER to realize they are on a losing streak --meanwhile the brightest of their staff go and join Apple or some interesting start up companies. !!!! --or even leave the sector altogether -- Try watching BBC Masterchef - you get a lot of ex I.T people on there changing I.T for trying to start their own restaurants etc.

Plenty of VPN streams / feed if you want to watch and outside UK.

BBC One - MasterChef

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 1, 2017
  14. Superfly Win User
    Windows->Cloud->Malware has big business scared...even with Google's huge 'telemetry' business model - anyway that's the perception, correctly or otherwise...

Superfly, May 1, 2017
  15. pparks1 Win User
    It's all about the convenience of getting to all of your data no matter where you are.

I use gmail. Why do I like gmail better than using my ISP's mail server and Microsoft Outlook for my personal email? Because I don't require Outlook level functionality, and I want to see my email from home, from my phone, from work, from a friends house, from my tablet, etc. Almost irrelevant to where I am, I can look up an email. It's convenient. I cannot absolute guarantee 100% safety, but its been good enough.

I use dropbox. Even though I have a file server at home and my important home stuff is on it, Dropbox/OneDrive allows my wife and I to easily share files between each other. It gives us backup copies of all of our files. We just don't store anything with personal data like passwords, social security numbers, bank account information, etc.

And I am looking into a personal password utility that is on the web. I currently use KeePass, and it's sorta in the cloud. I have it stored in Dropbox. But we need KeePass physically installed to access that database. Sometimes while at work, I need to get to a password. I try to keep long complex passwords and unique password for every website. But there is no way I can remember all of those passwords. Between work and home, I literally have like 125 passwords.

pparks1, May 1, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows 10 S officially announced - Similar Threads - officially announced

2. Microsoft Certification Exam : I don't have Last Name in any of my official documents. what...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Certification Exam : I don't have Last Name in any of my official documents. what...: My name is Shraddha, I will be attending Microsoft certification exam soon, As last name is mandatory I have entered my father's name though in official ID his name is not present, will this effect me during my exam process. I tried entering _,"." , "-" and "_" in the last...
  3. Microsoft Certification Exam : I don't have Last Name in any of my official documents. what...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Certification Exam : I don't have Last Name in any of my official documents. what...: My name is Shraddha, I will be attending Microsoft certification exam soon, As last name is mandatory I have entered my father's name though in official ID his name is not present, will this effect me during my exam process. I tried entering _,"." , "-" and "_" in the last...
  4. Where is the official website for Audio Drivers for Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where is the official website for Audio Drivers for Windows 11?: I'm not sure why windows 11 is so confusing with audio drivers. I googled and I can't seem to find the official website for audio drivers windows 11. What gives? Why is it so complicated. Can you please give me the website where I can download the audio driver for Windows 11?...
  5. Where is the official website for Audio Drivers for Windows 11?

Where is the official website for Audio Drivers for Windows 11?: I'm not sure why windows 11 is so confusing with audio drivers. I googled and I can't seem to find the official website for audio drivers windows 11. What gives? Why is it so complicated. Can you please give me the website where I can download the audio driver for Windows 11?...
  6. How to Downgrade to WIN10 from WIN11 Officially

How to Downgrade to WIN10 from WIN11 Officially: Hello, I have a Acer Laptop which I bought on June 2019 and it came preinstalled with Windows 10 but when Windows 11 was released I upgraded for free but now I want to downgrade it back to Windows 10 as I am having issues with some SW and performance .. Ques1. How I do it...
  7. Microsoft makes it official: Windows 10 version 21H2 announced

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft makes it official: Windows 10 version 21H2 announced: Microsoft plans to release Windows 10 version 21H2, a feature update for the company's Windows 10 operating system, later this year. The company unveiled Windows 11 earlier this year as the next version of Windows. Customers who run Windows 10 may upgrade to the new version...
  8. Microsoft announces Windows 10 version 21H1 officially

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft announces Windows 10 version 21H1 officially: Microsoft announced the next feature update for its Windows 10 operating system, version 21H1, today officially on the Windows Experience blog. John Cable, Vice President, Program Management, Windows Servicing and Delivery, confirmed in the announcement that the next feature...
  9. Microsoft announces official release of Babylon.js 4.1

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft announces official release of Babylon.js 4.1: Our mission is to create one of the most powerful, beautiful, and simple Web rendering engines in the world. Our passion is to make it completely open and free for everyone. Today, we are thrilled to announce the official release of Babylon.js 4.1! Before diving into more...
  10. Intel announces official support for Vulkan graphics API on Windows

in Windows 10 News
    Intel announces official support for Vulkan graphics API on Windows: Vulkan* targets high performing real-time 3D graphics applications, like games, while giving low-overhead hardware control over GPU acceleration to developers. Vulkan* utilizes many open-source libraries and utilities, and promises great performance and predictability, while...