Windows 10: Windows 10 Safe Mode - Surface Book 2 is Bricked and Stuck in Loop

Discus and support Windows 10 Safe Mode - Surface Book 2 is Bricked and Stuck in Loop in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Problem I have a Surface Book 2 running Windows 10. It is completely bricked at the moment. I have some files that Edge corrupted when it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by hlyates, Aug 16, 2018.

1. hlyates Win User

Windows 10 Safe Mode - Surface Book 2 is Bricked and Stuck in Loop

Problem

I have a Surface Book 2 running Windows 10. It is completely bricked at the moment.

I have some files that Edge corrupted when it downloaded them, but will not let me delete. So I quickly looked online and it suggested that I go to systems configuration and reboot in safe mode (so I could delete them). Unfortunately, I did not select safe mode with networking. Now I am stuck in a vicious loop where I cannot authenticate into Windows because it cannot accept my password (because of the lack of networking). This password is the same for my windows live account, so it cannot authenticate without networking.

I have used the shift key to reboot my surface book into the special menu and told it to reboot into safe mode + networking (F5), but it is still stuck in the safe mode + without networking. If I attempt a restore, repair, and or any other way to get out of this safe mode, it defaults into asking for my windows password...continuing my vicious loop. Every option I have tried on my surface book 2 (command prompt, restore, repair) will ask for authentication and continue the loop.

Question

I do not have a recovery Windows 10 recovery USB, but would this help? I have an old surface book pro 4, but my concern is that the USB recovery drive that I would create on that surface 4 would harm my surface book 2 if I attempted a restore off of it (driver differences/etc). Is there anyway I can use this USB recovery drive to get into a command prompt though and run the msconfig command and get back into Windows 10 proper on surface book 2?

Basically, what is the best way forward for me to get out of the vicious loop above? I'm losing a lot of productivity by having this surface book 2 bricked. Any suggestions, tips, comments that can be offered to get me out of this issue would be greatly appreciated.

:)

hlyates, Aug 16, 2018
  2. hlyates Win User

Problem

I have a Surface Book 2 running Windows 10. It is completely bricked at the moment.

I have some files that Edge corrupted when it downloaded them, but will not let me delete. So I quickly looked online and it suggested that I go to systems configuration and reboot in safe mode (so I could delete them). Unfortunately, I did not select safe
    mode with networking. Now I am stuck in a vicious loop where I cannot authenticate into Windows because it cannot accept my password (because of the lack of networking). This password is the same for my windows live account, so it cannot authenticate without
    networking.

I have used the shift key to reboot my surface book into the special menu and told it to reboot into safe mode + networking (F5), but it is still stuck in the safe mode + without networking. If I attempt a restore, repair, and or any other way to get out
    of this safe mode, it defaults into asking for my windows password...continuing my vicious loop. Every option I have tried on my surface book 2 (command prompt, restore, repair) will ask for authentication and continue the loop.

Question

I do not have a recovery Windows 10 recovery USB, but would this help? I have an old surface book pro 4, but my concern is that the USB recovery drive that I would create on that surface 4 would harm my surface book 2 if I attempted a restore off of it (driver
    differences/etc). Is there anyway I can use this USB recovery drive to get into a command prompt though and run the msconfig command and get back into Windows 10 proper on surface book 2?

Basically, what is the best way forward for me to get out of the vicious loop above? I'm losing a lot of productivity by having this surface book 2 bricked. Any suggestions, tips, comments that can be offered to get me out of this issue would be greatly
    appreciated.

hlyates, Sep 22, 2018
  3. Windows 10 Safe Mode - Surface Book 2 is Bricked and Stuck in Loop

Hi hlyates,

I'm here to help. Let's find options on how we can fix your Windows 10 boot issue. Since you have a working Surface Book Pro 4, we can use that to create a recovery image for your Surface Book 2. You just need to download the correct recovery image for
    your device. You can get it from here. Under
    Select your Surface device, select Surface Book 2 for Product and then type in your device serial number.

Once we have the recovery image that we need, you may now create a recovery Windows 10 recovery USB Flash drive/ Follow the video in this
    article to know how. You can use this to access the Windows Recovery environment to troubleshoot
    or if you would like to reset your device.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Gemzon Mar, Sep 22, 2018
  4. Rose Cal Win User

Stuck in Safe Mode Boot Loop

Hi Justin,

It is possible that you're stuck in Safe Mode boot loop due to system components. To assist you better, we'd like to know if you've tried starting your computer in Safe Mode with Networking.

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps in this article on how to Start your computer in safe mode
    in Windows 10. Safe Mode with Networking includes the network drivers and services you'll need to access the Internet and other computers on your network.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Sep 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Safe Mode - Surface Book 2 is Bricked and Stuck in Loop - Similar Threads - Safe Mode Surface

2. Surface Laptop 2 bricked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface Laptop 2 bricked: Background info:Hardware: Surface Laptop 2 8GB RAM Intel I5 modelSoftware: Windows 11 Pro Windows insider preview channelProblem:After shutting down my SL2 no new software installed and going to sleep, I wake up the next morning to turn on my SL2.Expected result:Boots into...
  3. Surface Laptop 2 bricked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface Laptop 2 bricked: Background info:Hardware: Surface Laptop 2 8GB RAM Intel I5 modelSoftware: Windows 11 Pro Windows insider preview channelProblem:After shutting down my SL2 no new software installed and going to sleep, I wake up the next morning to turn on my SL2.Expected result:Boots into...
  4. Surface tablet 2 stuck in a reboot loop.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface tablet 2 stuck in a reboot loop.: The Surface tablet 2 I got today will not boot and is stuck in a reboot loop. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/surface-tablet-2-stuck-in-a-reboot-loop/e9f67ae7-e587-4fc9-be08-31ad60ba474e
  5. Surface Book 2 Ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Surface Book 2 Ethernet: Hi I have a Surface Book 2 and a Surface Dock, recently my ethernet LAN just disappear not sure why. I have tried rebooting, surface diagnostic, change lan cable and tested lan cable in other device in it worked fine. but not on my SB2. I checked that there is no driver...
  6. Stuck in windows 10 safe mode loop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Stuck in windows 10 safe mode loop: I enabled Windows 10 to boot in Safe Mode by opening msconfig. when my computer booted it ask me for a password. And my sister didn't remember the password. The safe mode is on loop. Is there a way to disabled safe mode? (Sorry for my poor english)...
  7. Windows 10 1903 Bricked my Surface Book

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 1903 Bricked my Surface Book: Was happily running Windows 10 and decided to upgrade to 1903. After Windows 10 1903 update and subsequent PC reset, the system failed to boot properly. Tried to use Recovery from the cloud (Failed) using my recovery key and then Advanced Options to Go Back to previous...
  8. Surface Book 2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Surface Book 2: I am trying to run Flash files on my Surface Book 2 and have had no success. I have downloaded adobe flash. Is there something I need to do? Does Flash work on the Surface Book 2?...
  9. instagram on surface book 2

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    instagram on surface book 2: While attempting to install Instagram on a new surface book 2 device, an error read that requirements were needed. Directx and more than 2 GB of ram were indicated as the need but the machine has 8GB and is on Directx v12. Do you have any advice on what we should do next?...
  10. Surface Book 2 overheating

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Book 2 overheating: Okay so I know the Surface Books have an issue with overheating. I absolutely LOVE my computer but obviously the overheating is an issue. Other posts talk about how its their screen that has the issue. I've even seen where the battery in the screen swoll up. My keyboard is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. surface book safe mode