Windows 10: Windows 10 Safemode/F8?

Discus and support Windows 10 Safemode/F8? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm setting up a neighbors new shiny Windows 10 system, trying to make it as close to Windows 7 (by his request) as possible. I discover that F8... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lvdave, Aug 11, 2015.

1. lvdave Win User

Windows 10 Safemode/F8?

I'm setting up a neighbors new shiny Windows 10 system, trying to make it as close to Windows 7 (by his request) as possible. I discover that F8 doesn't get you to safemode anymore, at least without mucking around with the command line.. I find that this can be fixed by an elevated cmdprompt, and a "bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy" I try this, and of course, NOTHING is this simple.. I get a "This program is blocked by group policy. For more information, contact your system administrator"... geez... for the sake of this work I'm doing for the neighbor *I* AM the system administrator... Of course, theres no indication as to *what* group policy..

I knew there was some reason I quit messing with Windows and returned to my first love Linux after I retired from fixing Windows since 1991.. /rant off

Can someone point me to the policy thats preventing me from enabling F8 for Safemode??

:)

lvdave, Aug 11, 2015
  2. neilpzz Win User

win 10 safe-mode

I wasn't aware that F5 would get safemode in Windows 10, MS were supposed to have disabled F5 & F8 now. F5 was always just safemode in previous systems (no networking). When Windows 10 goes into safemode you do get the message about the administrator account.

The official way for safemode in Windows 10 is to hold down shift select power and then restart. This will reboot the system and give Start-up options menu where you can select safemode (amongst others) and you need safemode with networking. Because Edge
    is essentially an app it will not run as far as I can tell and you have to use Internet Explorer.

This is one reason for keeping the login screen because you can do this at login as the power icon is in the bottom right hand corner.

neilpzz, Aug 11, 2015
  3. Cyber_Defend_Team, Aug 11, 2015
  4. Windows 10 Safemode/F8?

Anshad Edavana, Aug 11, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 Safemode/F8?

1. Windows 10 Safemode/F8? - Similar Threads - Safemode

2. WIndows10 Safemode Login Limbo

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    WIndows10 Safemode Login Limbo: Hi All , I restarted a functional Windows10 PC in safe-mode and thereafter cannot get past the Windows login. PC reboots fine, it is in safe-mode, and once Windows starts and brings me to my user login window it will not accept my PIN. I receive the message "The password is...
  3. Dear Microsoft, bit locker and safemode

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dear Microsoft, bit locker and safemode: Please remove the annoying problem of having to unlock my bit locker locked drive by entering the recovery key, instead of the password. it is very annoying to have to look up the recovery key when ever i try to boot in to safe mode because you wont let me unlock it with my...
  4. New gpu, fine in safemode, bsod on normal boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New gpu, fine in safemode, bsod on normal boot: I installed a radeon r9 200 series gpu into what was an hp pavilion p6110f, I've upgraded cpu to a core 2 quad q9650, maxed out ram, and my psus is a 550w. Trying to boot normally I get a bsod with a device caught in driver thread message, HOWEVER booting into safemode it...
  5. Can't login to Windows 10 Safemode using PIN. Is there a way to restore boot to normal mode?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't login to Windows 10 Safemode using PIN. Is there a way to restore boot to normal mode?: In Windows 10, msconfig was used to set boot to Safemode. The Safemode login screen asks for a password and I only have a PIN. Is there a way to restore the boot configuration so that it will boot to normal mode, which will accept a PIN, in other words, cancel the changes...
  6. Windows not booting normally, only safemode and password not accepting to work in safemode

Windows not booting normally, only safemode and password not accepting to work in safemode: First of, I will provide complete information here so please read fully before providing suggestions so that no ones time is wasted by suggesting things that have already been tried. Okay, as subject states, I am stuck at windows 10 64 bit safemode login ( with no password...
  7. RSGUPD.exe, problems removing files and booting in safemode

RSGUPD.exe, problems removing files and booting in safemode: Hi, This file is constantly trying to run in windows, from searching online it is from some remo software I had installed previously and its constantly trying to open a support gateway. I have found the files are located in programdata\rsg which I need to remove but cant...
  8. Drivers missing in Windows 10 safemode bootcamp Macbook pro 2017 overheating in WOW

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drivers missing in Windows 10 safemode bootcamp Macbook pro 2017 overheating in WOW: System as follows MacBook Pro 2017 Retina Touchbar Mojave Latest system Windows 10 Latest system WOW I use my windows side of the system for games mostly because the system is supported for gaming. I was playing WOW and noticed that there was a caution symbol there. I...
  9. Windows 10, stuck at safemode login, Password not correct

Windows 10, stuck at safemode login, Password not correct: I was trying to uninstall avast the other day, when I noticed that not all of avast's components were completely gone. I downloaded and attempted to begin to use the avastclear utility to uninstall it. Upon starting the application, I was told it needed to go to safemode. It...
  10. I THINK RECOVERY ENVIRONMENT IS NOT REQUIRED TO BOOT INTO SAFEMODE OR SAFEMODE WITH...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I THINK RECOVERY ENVIRONMENT IS NOT REQUIRED TO BOOT INTO SAFEMODE OR SAFEMODE WITH...: I have tested on my ASUS laptop, I don't have recovery partition , Even though I can able to boot to safemode, after power on . Any user ready oppose my statement. Thanks for reading my post...