Windows 10: Windows 10 says I don't have permission to save anything.

Discus and support Windows 10 says I don't have permission to save anything. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; This just started yesterday. I have tried using Take Ownership on everything but it still says I don't permission to save anything. I can save things... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ZeldaYoshi, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Windows 10 says I don't have permission to save anything.

This just started yesterday. I have tried using Take Ownership on everything but it still says I don't permission to save anything. I can save things in certain folders and Desktop but I can't save anything under my Documents, Pictures, OneDrive or anything. I get this error every time. Even if I try to save it in my Pictures folder or whatever folder it says, it will say the same thing and ask if I want to save it to my Pictures folder instead. I am also running on an administrator account.

Windows 10 says I don't have permission to save anything. [​IMG]

:)

ZeldaYoshi, Jul 31, 2015

2. Win 10 Says I don't have permission to save in this location

I was having this same problem so I followed your instructions (however, in step "c" there is no group tab, it's just the word
    "group" you click on) and it went through the motions of changing the owner of the folder;
    "program files (x86)" to my user name from "trustedinstaller"

I am still unable to save files to this or any of the sub-folders. I need to save files here in order for one of my programs to work properly.

I can't figure out why I need to change the owner anyway as my local user name (the one I use all the time because I refuse to sign into Microsoft every time I use my computer) shows I am an administrator and that I have "full access" to this folder.

Any further help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Rendersapien, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Win 10 Says I don't have permission to save in this location

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

1. In which location are you trying to save a file?

2. When do you receive this error message?

3. Have you logged in as Microsoft account/Local account?

Here are the steps to modify ownership and permissions of folders and files:

a) Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

b) Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

c) Click Edit, and then do one of the following:

d) If you want to take ownership of the contents of the folder, select the Replace owner on sub containers and objects check box.

e) Click OK, and then click Yes when you receive the following message:

f) You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

g) All permissions will be replaced if you click Yes.

Note folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

h) Click OK, and then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

Additional considerations.

• An administrator can take ownership of any file on the computer.

• Assigning ownership of a file or a folder might require you to elevate your permissions using User Access Control.

Reply with more information to help you better. Keep us posted if you face any issues on windows in future. We will be glad to help you.

Ruth Buruga, Jul 31, 2015
  4. YOU
    You Win User

Windows 10 says I don't have permission to save anything.

1. Right click an affected folder.
    2. Click Properties.
    3. Click the Security tab
    4. Click the "Advanced" button.
    5. Click "Change" next to Owner.
    6. Type r username, click the "Check Names" button, then click OK.
    7. Check "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" under the owner's name.
    8. Click OK again. If get a message saying "Do want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting full control?", click "Yes" and 're done.
    9. Click the "Edit" button.
    10. Click on r username from the list.
    11. Check "Full control" underneath it.
    12. Click OK.
    13. Click OK again.

Repeat with all of the problematic folders.

5. This solved my problem. Thank you.

ZeldaYoshi, Jul 31, 2015
  6. Apparently I am having the same problem again. Any other ideas?

ZeldaYoshi, Aug 1, 2015
  7. Never mind. Solved it again. I have Kaspersky and I went on and went Microsoft Windows troubleshooting and it found problems. I clicked fix issues and it fixed the problem. But thanks again for helping.

ZeldaYoshi, Aug 1, 2015
  8. thbond Win User

What was the fix? I am already listed as the owner of all of the folders I have checked...but still denied the option to saving to them; only given the option to 'save to documents' the general docs folder. I also can save to desktop.

thbond, Aug 2, 2015
  9. Orrill Win User
    ...Go to the folder properties > Security (as mentioned above) but instead of clicking advanced, edit the permissions for 'Home Users' and 'Administrators'. Make sure 'Allow' is ticked for all options by using the 'Edit' button.

Orrill, Aug 2, 2015
  10. figment Win User
    I had the same issue and my security permissions kept reverting at logon...It was a OneDrive issue, and I posted a fix here:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...=1438650724267

figment, Aug 3, 2015
  11. The problem that came up on Kaspersky was "Service termination timeout is outside the allowable range"
    If you have Kaspersky then run the Microsoft Windows Troubleshooting feature on it and see if you get the same error. If you do then click Fix and then restart your computer and see if that fixes it. I fixed it for me. When you run the troubleshooter, choose Search for damage caused my malware activity. When it finds any issues click on to check them in the check boxes if necessary if it says it is recommended to be fixed. Especially if it says Service termination timeout is outside the allowable range. (If you want to, you can fix other problems that are not necessary to be fixed) then click next. It will start to the issues once it is done put a check mark in reboot the computer and click finish. After if your computer restarts, check and see if the problem is fixed.

ZeldaYoshi, Aug 3, 2015
  12. I'm having the same problem. Honestly... how did Microsoft manage to break the documents folder?

computersarecoo, Aug 3, 2015
  13. Windows 10 says I don't have permission to save anything.

Must be a glitch in Windows that is causing some people to have permission issues. I wonder if Microsoft is aware of this problem.

ZeldaYoshi, Aug 4, 2015
  14. figment Win User
    figment, Aug 4, 2015
  15. Angeltam Win User
    Solved my problem... Thank You! Not sure what I would do without this forum. Wouldn't be saving documents or able to use my email Windows 10 says I don't have permission to save anything. :)

Angeltam, Aug 5, 2015
Thema:

1. Windows 10 says I don't have permission to save anything. - Similar Threads - says don't permission

2. I don't have permission to basically do ANYTHING to this file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I don't have permission to basically do ANYTHING to this file: Hi, I downloaded a powerpoint file from Skype recently. The file which was downloaded, doesn't open, and seems to have no contents. Furthermore I am unable to delete, move, change the name or basically do anything to this file. I seem to require administrator permission, but...
  3. I don't have permission to basically do ANYTHING to this file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I don't have permission to basically do ANYTHING to this file: Hi, I downloaded a powerpoint file from Skype recently. The file which was downloaded, doesn't open, and seems to have no contents. Furthermore I am unable to delete, move, change the name or basically do anything to this file. I seem to require administrator permission, but...
  4. You don't have permission to save in this location

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    You don't have permission to save in this location: I am getting this error message on all files in My Documents Just did the 9/8/2020 Win 10 update!!! "You don't have permission to save in this location"...
  5. you don't have permission to save in this location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    you don't have permission to save in this location: Latest Windows update I am a developer and one client is having the issue that his app can't save ordinary text files to his Documents folder. They can be saved to the User root below Documents. I added 'everyone' with full control to the permissions list for Documents but...
  6. "Don't have permission to save" error

in Windows 10 Customization
    "Don't have permission to save" error: This makes me crazy. It's not a new problem, but seems to have come with the upgrade to Windows 10 a couple of years ago. But at the moment I'm trying to install some new software and it's really aggravating. The full error message is: "You don't have permission to save...
  7. Don't have permission to save files

in Windows 10 Support
    Don't have permission to save files: Hi, I did try searching for help with this but it wasn't working for me so I wonder if anyone can help. I recently installed an SSD and cloned my previous C drive to it. Everything works fine. Except that I cannot save files in Program Files or Program Files x86 on the...
  8. "You don't have permission to save in this location"

in Windows 10 Support
    "You don't have permission to save in this location": I installed a photo editing program program (DxO Filmpack 3) which I had previously used successfully on a different computer that also runs Windows 10. But on my new computer, whenever I try to save a photo to a folder on my Desktop using the program, I get the following...
  9. Cannot save files "You Don't Have Permission to Save..." W10

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot save files "You Don't Have Permission to Save..." W10: I have recently upgraded to Windows 10. I loved the changes, until yesterday. I am signed in as the administrator of my account. I tried to save a simple spreadsheet to Documents in One Drive. I received this message: "You don’t have permission to save in this location....
  10. Windows 10: You don't have permission to save in this location.....

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10: You don't have permission to save in this location.....: I've just installed Windows 10. Now I find I am unable to save documents. A pop up window says contact the administrator for permission. It is a private pc and I am the main user and administrator. I've seen lots of posts on other forums for exactly the same problem and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows says i dont have permission

2. windows 10 you dont have permission to save