Windows 10: Windows 10 says updates have failed when they actually haven't

Discus and support Windows 10 says updates have failed when they actually haven't in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi all, This is my first post here, so thanks in advance to all who take the time to read and to try and help with stuff on here *Smile So,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by nmb882003, May 24, 2016.

1. nmb882003 Win User

Windows 10 says updates have failed when they actually haven't

Hi all,

This is my first post here, so thanks in advance to all who take the time to read and to try and help with stuff on here *Smile

So, having been a Vista user for many years, I recently acquired a brand new Asus n551jx laptop, which came with Windows 8.1 preinstalled. After having numerous issues out of the box with the 8.1 setup provided, I decided it was easier to just do a clean install of Windows 10 rather than spend weeks wrangling with Asus' awful tech support.

I did a clean install of Windows 10 from DVD and the installation and activation went without a hitch (shock!). After being initially impressed by how clean and stable Win 10 appeared, this turned to disappointment when I realised that I only had a generic screen driver, no sound and was missing system tray icons for the NVIDIA card, bluetooth, etc. I was facing up to the prospect of spending hours manually installing these when I decided to run Windows Update and see what happened. I was pleasantly surprised to see it listed pretty much all the drivers i needed (including some ASUS ones, which I'd never have expected) along with a few Windows updates, and so I set them to download while I contiuned to tinker with my new setup.

Over time, I noticed that the display drivers and others were installed in real time as I was using the system, but when I checked on Windows Update it said 'waiting for install' next to said drivers, which I thought was odd. Once all the updates had downloaded, I then ended up doing several restarts, as each time it would install, then say some had failed, then say it needed to restart again.

Once all this had finished, I looked at the update history and was suprised to see that about 80% of them (roughly 20 in total) say 'failed to install', most of these being drivers. The strange thing is that they all appear to have installed just fine. I've checked on Device Manager and all of the drivers are present and there's no issues listed with any of them. The updates in question are now gone from Windows Update, too.

Should I be concerned about this? I wonder if perhaps the issue has occurred because the drivers were installed in real time, and then Windows couldn't install them during reboot as they were already in place, hence the 'failure'. Still, seems odd that Windows didn't take this into account. Is this a known issue with the early builds of Windows 10 (given that the system would not have applied any Windows updates when this happened)? When I look at the list of installed updates, it just shows the standard Windows updates/security fixes, which all installed without a hitch.

Keen to hear your input!

:)

nmb882003, May 24, 2016

2. Win+K Shortcut not Working

I have one that I haven't gotten to fail in a while that does have the big Windows update on it, but I do have another that just failed again this morning that does not have the update. It was one that I was told was failing daily that I have been trying
    to get to fail under normal use for a week. It does not have the recent update on it yet.

We are actually running Windows 10 Education on the laptops that are having the issue. We are in the process of creating a new image to put on laptops that will be using Windows 10 Enterprise instead.

Yes, I do have administrator rights on all of these devices.

Leslie.Waller, May 24, 2016
  3. Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 Error 0x80240034

I already have Windows 10 1709 and this update shows up in my update history as failed, also it says I'm up-to-date when I search for updates.

Does that mean I actually don't have 1709? If I have 1709, is there a way to remove this entry from update history?

WonderWallSK, May 24, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello nmb and welcome to the TenForums!

I think you did a wise move with the clean install and hope that you enjoy W10. I think that if all your updates and drivers are now installed and working you do not need to worry. I have had times when there are so many updates required that some do fail while others are still installing and the restarts are a good way to get it all sorted. One very useful view is the reliability history view and this will show you the history of all your updates and driver installs. You will be amazed just how much does go on in the background. To view this type reliability in the search box and select View reliability history.

philc43, May 24, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 says updates have failed when they actually haven't - Similar Threads - says updates failed

2. headphones says "not plugged in" when its actually connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    headphones says "not plugged in" when its actually connected: himy headphones is connected to my pc and it still says not plugged in and i once figured out the problem by installing realtek audio drivers instead of Microsoft HD audio and then again swapping to Microsoft HD audio from that troubleshooting service realtek drivers dosen't...
  3. headphones says "not plugged in" when its actually connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    headphones says "not plugged in" when its actually connected: himy headphones is connected to my pc and it still says not plugged in and i once figured out the problem by installing realtek audio drivers instead of Microsoft HD audio and then again swapping to Microsoft HD audio from that troubleshooting service realtek drivers dosen't...
  4. headphones says "not plugged in" when its actually connected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. When I go to update, Windows says there are updates, and then says no updates.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I go to update, Windows says there are updates, and then says no updates.: I'm a Windows Insider for Windows 11. When I go to check updates today, first Windows says I have updates, and a split second later it says there are no updates. I run the update troubleshooter...and it does nothing, like 99% of Windows "troubleshooters." I do the DISM...
  6. Windows Update will not actually Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update will not actually Update: I am having problems installing updates and have done everything down to troubleshooting and that has found no issues. Is there a way to hard reset the Update so I can get them that way?...
  7. caps lock is saying it's on when it's actually off. and vice versa

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    caps lock is saying it's on when it's actually off. and vice versa: The title pretty much says it all. caps lock button is being weird. windows 10 chuwi hi10 air if it helps. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/caps-lock-is-saying-its-on-when-its-actually-off/2fa6a637-7d97-4a19-9cda-c47d9673053b
  8. When is Windows 10 2004 actually releasing?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When is Windows 10 2004 actually releasing?: The last update was 1909, even though it released in November. Is the same deal happening here too, or is it releasing in April? submitted by /u/thespacexpl [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fet2nt/when_is_windows_10_2004_actually_releasing/
  9. Windows 10 fails to update -- yet says it is up to date

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 fails to update -- yet says it is up to date: My Windows 10 is saying it is up to date yet it tells me it is still on version 1803. When I check update history, it says "1809 require a restart to finish installing" yet doesn't install on restart. 1903 failed to install probably because I haven't been able to upgrade it...
  10. Windows 10 saying i haven't activated it

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 saying i haven't activated it: So, recently, my browsers stopped working (infinite loading to sites), i couldn't sign in to my Microsoft account, and started saying i hadn't activated windows(I have a legitimate windows 10 code, and it wouldn't let me re-enter it.). This leaded me to doing a fresh install...