Windows 10: Windows 10 search no results, requires ending Cortana.exe

Discus and support Windows 10 search no results, requires ending Cortana.exe in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I've been having this issue with my windows search for the last week since doing a clean install on my PC. Sometimes, when I try to search... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by zerogravity, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Windows 10 search no results, requires ending Cortana.exe

Hi all,

I've been having this issue with my windows search for the last week since doing a clean install on my PC. Sometimes, when I try to search something up, the search would remain blank and have the blue dots rolling (it's working on something?) and no results would show. In order to fix this, I would have to end Cortana in task manager and wait for it to start back up.

Why is windows search hanging every now and then? Is there a way to permanently fix this so that I don't have to keep ending Cortana?

:)

zerogravity, Aug 16, 2015

2. How to uninstall cortana?

taskkill /IM Cortana.exe /F at the command prompt results in ERROR: The process "Cortana.exe" not found. Using windows 10 Home.

JacquedD7777, Aug 16, 2015
  3. CarolLJ Win User
    CarolLJ, Aug 16, 2015
  4. pjgibbons Win User

Windows 10 search no results, requires ending Cortana.exe

I'm having the same problem.

pjgibbons, Aug 19, 2015
  5. AveYo Win User
    In an admin command prompt:
    Code: reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v "AllowCortana" /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f[/quote]

AveYo, Aug 19, 2015
  6. pjgibbons Win User
    [/quote] Can you explain what this registry change will do?

pjgibbons, Aug 20, 2015
  7. AveYo Win User
    It will disable Cortana from search - if you go to search settings Cortana will be disabled by company policy and grayed out.
    If you need to revert it, change the 0 to 1.
    There are too many reasons Cortana can fail, from the locale used to dns filtering, so if you don't have use for it, it's better left disabled for a responsive search and start menu.

AveYo, Aug 20, 2015
  8. pjgibbons Win User

[/quote]
    I did the registry add at an elevated command prompt, but still having same problem.

pjgibbons, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 search no results, requires ending Cortana.exe - Similar Threads - search results requires

2. End of support for Cortana

in Windows 10 Gaming
    End of support for Cortana: While the decision to phase out Cortana may have disappointed some users, it's important to recognize that Microsoft is continually evolving its products to meet the changing needs of its customers. Here are some reasons why bringing back Cortana might still be...
  3. no cortana search results

in Cortana
    no cortana search results: no cortana search results https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-cortana-search-results/a8802319-d2a3-432d-a63b-cd0b4a5885c2
  4. Windows 10 Search Not Returning Results

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Not Returning Results: Hello, The Windows 10 Search function has stopped working. I checked online for the basic troubleshooting and nothing resolved the problem. I will list specifics of the system below. Thanks in advance to any assistance with this search issue. Windows 10 Pro is installed on...
  5. My cortana search shows blank results

in Cortana
    My cortana search shows blank results: Today I noticed my cortana search looks completely different. When I go to type in my search box, I get blank results, no matter what I type. I have verified that Windows has indexed nearly 50,000 items for windows search. How can i fix this? My first picture shows what...
  6. Cortana using IE not Edge for web search results

in Browsers and Email
    Cortana using IE not Edge for web search results: Ever since Build 14385 and now in 14388, Cortana has been using and opening IE as the browser for showing search web results instead of Edge. Edge is set as the default browser and has been for a long time. Have checked all the settings in both Edge and IE, as well as in...
  7. Problems searching for Desktop Apps (.exe) with Cortana

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems searching for Desktop Apps (.exe) with Cortana: Cortana seems to be highly hesitant to search for .exe files. Some files don't appear at all, even though I have manually added them to the search index. Other files appear, but then after a second or two disappear from the results and get replaced with a recommendation to do...
  8. Search box in Windows 10- No results

in Windows 10 Support
    Search box in Windows 10- No results: Hi When I open a folder in Windows 10 File Explorer, and I click on the search box and type in a folder that I want, It tells me NO ITEMS MATCH YOUR SEARCH But it's crazy because I can see the document I want right in front of me in that folder but when I try search it...
  9. Cortana search, these results may be incomplete

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana search, these results may be incomplete: So I noticed cortana search is often showing a text at the top saying these results may be incomplete please try in a few minutes. But it never goes away. It didn't used to do this. I reckon only in last week or so. There have been no significant changes. I checked indexing...
  10. Microsoft's Cortana gets refined search results in Windows 10 for PC

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft's Cortana gets refined search results in Windows 10 for PC: It looks like the Cortana team is continuing to update and improve search results usingCortana in Windows 10. A cursory glance at local search results using Windows 10 for PC (not mobile) reveals that search strings can now break down the results by category such as apps,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. no search results in cortana