Windows 10: Windows 10 Search Question

Discus and support Windows 10 Search Question in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Sorry for asking about search here but I tried to find something on this but couldn't. When I do a Search Windows, I get limited results a few Best... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Gator5000e, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Search Question

Sorry for asking about search here but I tried to find something on this but couldn't. When I do a Search Windows, I get limited results a few Best Match results, one folder and one or two documents. So where are the rest of the search results? Clicking on Search My Stuff does nothing.

So I am looking for something that will search like Windows 7 search did. It was great. It would search all my files and email and list all the results together in one results box.

Windows 10 search is pathetic, at least how it's working on my computer. So any ideas on how to get all my results on a search instead of the 4-5 results shown on the pop up search bar?

I'd even go to a third party program if anyone thought there was a decent one that is similar to Windows 7.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Gator5000e, Oct 12, 2015

2. Windows 10 search question

Hi all,

I recently tried a wild card search for a file. I found if I started the search at the drive, the file was not found. If I searched from the first folder of the folder structure that the file was in the file was found. The drive is shown in indexing option
    as being indexed at the root level.

My backup drives are external USB drives and are not indexed, yet a search for that file on those drives found the file.

What am I doing wrong? I will rebuild the index and see what happens.

Regards,

Steve

Photoman9876, Oct 12, 2015
  3. Windows 10 search question

Hi Steve,

Typing in the search box will provide suggestions and answers to your questions, and search results from your PC and the web. We would like to ask some questions for clarification:

• Did you make any changes on your PC before the issue started?
    • Have you tried searching different files and check if the issue persists?
    • Did you try to check if there available updates for your Windows 10?
    We also recommend that you follow these steps to run the
    Search and Indexing Troubleshooter to resolve issues with searching files in Windows 10:

• Go to Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter.
    • Click on Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View all.
    • Click Search and Indexing.
    Regards.

Nathaniel Mon, Oct 12, 2015
  4. Kanata Win User

Windows 10 Search Question

Using the 'content' option can yield more results, but it is quite slow as it searches inside files more thoroughly. In the search field just precede the search word with content: So example: content:gator
    Also search words in lower case only. Don't use upper case characters.

Kanata, Oct 12, 2015
Thema:

Windows 10 Search Question

1. Windows 10 Search Question - Similar Threads - Search Question

2. Inside the writing and search boxes

in Windows 10 Customization
    Inside the writing and search boxes: [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]Hi When you start typing inside the boxes It shows a square shape and not a vertical line as imposed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/inside-the-writing-and-search-boxes/a99ea174-c8d9-4e2c-8aa5-46d6cc3dee42
  3. Searching more than one word in content does not display search results

in Cortana
    Searching more than one word in content does not display search results: Hi all, When searching for file names, results are displayed immediately. Performing a content search with one word only also works as expected. If I type two or more words which are containing in my files there are no results. My files are indexed and for both .doc and...
  4. Windows Quick Search unable to detect files on new primary hard drive, only secondary

in Cortana
    Windows Quick Search unable to detect files on new primary hard drive, only secondary: Hello, I have recently installed a new SSD on my Windows 10 Home PC and have ran into an issue with the Quick Search option. The main problem is that the Quick Search only detects files which are located in my old hard drive which used to be the primary OS drive before I...
  5. Stopping Win 10 from searching printers on my network without asking.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Stopping Win 10 from searching printers on my network without asking.: I am looking for a way (if possible) to stop Windows 10 from searching my network for printers before I ask it to or making it where I can still install shared printer but the automatic search can't see them. Our environment currently has hundreds of printers and we are...
  6. Search question

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search question: When I search either folders or sub-folders and hesitate for more than a few seconds, I am taken right back to the start. Is there a way to correct this so that any hesitation allows me to remain in place or gives me up to 60 – 90 seconds before going back to the start?...
  7. windows search question?

in Windows 10 Support
    windows search question?: Hi I found that if I have a file with name, for example 1234.mp4 then I 'll be able to find it with searching keyword 1234 but if a file is with name, for example a1234.mp4, and I search with keywords 1234, then I won't be able to find out the file. Any way to fix this?...
  8. A Couple of Brief Questions: Search Engines / Unplugged Laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    A Couple of Brief Questions: Search Engines / Unplugged Laptop: 1. When I want to 'clean' my laptop, I often go to History and 'Clear History'. Then I scroll up to Manage Search Engines and there are 5, 6 , 8 different websites I have recently visited. I am confident they exist because my computer has picked up some cookies, but they are...
  9. Junctions, Libraries for multiple drives, and search questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Junctions, Libraries for multiple drives, and search questions: My system has a secondary drive (E:, with the main Public folders on it, and I use Libraries to access it. Under Libraries\Documents, there are 2 folders: My Documents points to C:\Users\bbon\Documents, and Documents points to E:\Users\Public\Document. In the process of...
  10. Search file names question!

in Windows 10 Support
    Search file names question!: Hello! Currently, when I search within folders, it only searches the beginning of the file names. Is there a way to search within the file names? Like you can when you press ctrl + f in a body of text. Thank you!! 51660