Windows 10: Windows 10 security update not completed - should I still clone to SSD

Discus and support Windows 10 security update not completed - should I still clone to SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello All, I have turned to you fabulous guys because I keep second-guessing myself. I was within hours of cloning my C: drive to a larger SSD when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Artois, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Artois Win User

Windows 10 security update not completed - should I still clone to SSD

Hello All,

I have turned to you fabulous guys because I keep second-guessing myself. I was within hours of cloning my C: drive to a larger SSD when the latest security fix was launched - it was announced on my PC on 21st Oct.

So the issue I have is that I have only 500mb available on my C: Drive but it appears that Windows has made 'some' updates to my PC. The Edge icon is now black / blank on the taskbar but hover the mouse over it and it's there. The HD light is almost constantly on and despite the fact I have automatic upgrades switched off, I'm pretty sure that Windows is doing 'something'.

My question is this; Should I (or can I) clone the C; Drive to an SSD in this condition?

Apologies for the vagueness of my question, as I said I keep second-guessing myself, but I thought at least one of you clear thinkers might be able to set this stuttering fool on the right path.

Many thanks and enjoy the day...

:)

Artois, Oct 25, 2017
  2. theaba Win User

Windows 10 clean re-install requires product key - cannot skip

I produced the CD after I updated to Windows 10 on the same system. So, the versions should be the same.

The only reason that I can think that may have caused this problem is that earlier I added a SSD to my computer and cloned Windows 7 to SSD BEFORE I updated the W7 on SSD to Windows 10. But if cloning offends the update install, I would have thought that
    the install program would have complained during the update from W7 to W10. But the updated completed normally without needing a product key.

If I don't get any resolution, I am thinking of reproducing the install CD and try it again. Thanks.

theaba, Oct 25, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Pro - SSD is causing PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA blue screen of death....

An update - I cloned the SSD in question to a "normal" HDD, and tried the HDD in the laptop, it still BSODs so let's assume it is software or driver related.

I also cloned the working fresh install of Windows 10 on a 1TB HDD to the "problem" 500GB SSD after using diskpart to clean it out completely. The SSD has now been in the laptop for 4 hours, and NO BSODs. Doubly confirming my suspicion it is not the SSD
    at fault, but something in Windows 10 update or, something else specifically software related.

Now I know I have basically solved my own problem by doing a fresh install, but is there another way? I still have a complete copy of the faulty windows installation which includes all of the data, and all of the programs already installed and activated.
    If there was a way to fix that rather than have to re-install EVERYTHING, that would be much appreciated.

DavidIzatt, Oct 25, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, you could try the clone and at least deal with your serious space problem.
    It sounds like something else is going on (HDD activity)

Or you could start by trying to get control and checking your system first. I suppose the choice is yours. At present Windows is probably pretty unusable.

Your major problem is you have no disk space, as you know, which would result in excessive disk activity- which I would have expected to normally by related to your SSD. I would suggest you try to recover some space first as Windows cannot function like that.

You can delete the hibernation file

• Go to Start menu, type “cmd” open up command prompt as admin (or Win key + X, command prompt (admin)
    • Type “powercfg.exe -h off”
    • ENTER.
    • Type “exit”
    • ENTER.

Next you can rt click C:

(You don't really need hibernation with a SSD - and you can reinstate it later if you wish).

Windows 10 security update not completed - should I still clone to SSD [​IMG]

and use Disk cleanup.

If your PC allows you to do these, you should save some basic space.

dalchina, Oct 25, 2017
  5. Artois Win User
    Hi dalchina,

Many thanks for your time and advice. I'll give this a try.

Enjoy the day and best regards...

Artois, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 security update not completed - should I still clone to SSD - Similar Threads - security update completed

2. Cloned SSD not booting to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cloned SSD not booting to Windows 10: So I have installed a new 1TB SSD to migrate my C drive from a 118 GB SSD that was full to the brim. I successfully cloned all partitions to the new drive using Macrium Reflect and, using Diskpart, I cleaned the old SSD thinking that the mobo would recognize the drive and...
  3. Windows 10 still updating, should I give up?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 still updating, should I give up?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/eaglerock2 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/l429i0/windows_10_still_updating_should_i_give_up/
  4. Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cloning old Windows 10 SSD to new SSD: If I clone my old upgraded windows 10 SSD to a new SSD and do a clean install on the new SSD. Would the new cloned SSD be activated? 9609
  5. Clone ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone ssd: Hi all if I want to install a 500gb ssd can I clone my 120 ssd to it. Its not my c drive its the g drive I just need more room for games I will be giving the old ssd to my son to make a boot drive 67592
  6. SSD cloned ..?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    SSD cloned ..?: Hi All I just cloned the new SSD from 128GB to 256GB And the main partition is not quite exactly the same I don't have the star screw driver to replace it yet .. so I don't know if it works or not Any advice Thanks [img] 21028
  7. Cloning Windows 10 to smaller SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cloning Windows 10 to smaller SSD: I'm trying to clone my 2 TB HD, with only 300 GB used, to a new 480 GB SSD, and keep getting "not enough space" to finish transferring, etc.....I thought since the used portion (300 GB) being less than the target drive (480 GB SSD) this was a possibility with Macrium...
  8. SSD Clone to SSD

SSD Clone to SSD: Hey, I am cloning several computers for work with the exact same hardware. I have a working computer with a SSD and HDD. When I clone the SSD and start up the same computer with the SSD switched windows will not load and it gives me the standard missing required files to...
  9. Cloning to SSD

Cloning to SSD: First question here on 10 forum but used 7 forum lots. Anyway I am trying to clone the HDD? reduced partion to 450GB so as to be less than theSSD on my laptop. Trying to clone to a Samsung EVO 850 500GB. I have used the Samsung migration software and a version of EaseUS both...
  10. Windows 10 - Clone to SSD Will Not Boot

Windows 10 - Clone to SSD Will Not Boot: I have a Dell Latitude E6520 with a Seagate Momentus XT ST95005620AS HDD, i7 CPU, Nvidia NVS4200M dedicated graphics, and 16 Gigs RAM. It has run Windows 7, 64 bit for several years like a champ. I got the auto update to Windows 10 which originally had a 'flashing screen'...