Windows 10: Windows 10 seemingly reset my user account and deleted all my data?

Discus and support Windows 10 seemingly reset my user account and deleted all my data? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I've just experienced something particularly weird. Windows Explorer was responding very slowly throughout the day, so I tried to fix this with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by rAigner, Jul 31, 2018.

1. rAigner Win User

Windows 10 seemingly reset my user account and deleted all my data?

Hi,

I've just experienced something particularly weird. Windows Explorer was responding very slowly throughout the day, so I tried to fix this with a reboot. Previously, I read here that Cortana may have something to do with this, so I tried the recommended fix by downloading the according .reg file and used it to add this key here:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search]
    "AllowCortana"=dword:00000000

When I tried to reboot, Windows got stuck, saying "shutting down..." for several minutes. This is nothing too unusual or suspicious, so I did a hard reset. When I rebooted and logged in, the "we are preparing Windows for you..." screen showed up and subsequently, I found that my desktop was unfamiliar. It looks like a complete blank desktop as in a fresh reinstall. I also found that all my settings were gone: I have to enter my Dropbox credentials to sync, log in to Chrome, previously opened tabs in Chrome did not show up, all my Windows display settings were reset to default, Outlook asks me to add a mail account when started, etc., everything is back to default, basicly.

Most annoyingly, I found, that all my desktop's content vanished, as well as -- most infuriating -- my Outlook mail archives. At least I cannot find them. My Users directory is pretty much emtpy. C:\Windows.old does not contain my data, there's just WINDOWS\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository with something in it, that's all. Also, the User folder does not contain a copy of my data.

I tried all system restore points I have available, but all of them failed (giving little information about what seems to be the problem).

I would be thankful for any hints that could save some of my data. Windows 10 Enterprise Insider Preview Evaluation Copy Build 17682.rs_prerelease.180525-1616.

* Moved from Insider

:)

rAigner, Jul 31, 2018
  2. 95Viper Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Look at this thread,How to Delete a User Account in Windows 10, it may help. You can try the various methods.
    Make sure you are using an administrative account when removing the account or log on using the Administrator's account.

Or, if you are patient and know what you are doing, manually remove it.

Either way, Goodluck.

95Viper, Jul 31, 2018
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Cannot access my User Account on local machine but can access Admin account. Need help finding password but NOT reset it as it will delete saved data.

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

If you reset the local account password it will not delete the Saved data.

I suggest you to back up the saved data and files from the admin account and try to reset the password and check if it helps.

Follow the steps below to reset the password.

• Press Windows + R.

• Type netplwiz and press enter.

• Select the user account.

• Click on Reset Password.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Jul 31, 2018
  4. Zakin Win User

Strange Windows 10 User Account issue.

Unfortunately I had done those steps numerous reboots, it just, reappears for no good reason. The base account isn't even a Microsoft account, it's a local account.

I haven't quite tried the built in administrator account on W10, but so far in my experience on my own computer, the built in account seemed to have absolutely no more control than I did on my own.

It's just strange, I go in, it warns me twice about deleting the account, then it's gone. Reboot, and it's back?

EDIT: Just to specify, both command line and Netplwiz both say only HIS account exists on the computer, it doesn't list this rogue account. This is what I meant in my first post about the fact that even Windows doesn't seem to believe it exists, HALF the time. *Frown Windows 10 seemingly reset my user account and deleted all my data? :(

Zakin, Jul 31, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 seemingly reset my user account and deleted all my data? - Similar Threads - seemingly reset user

2. My computer seems to have randomly half-reset all of its data.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer seems to have randomly half-reset all of its data.: When I woke up this morning and turned on my computer, everything was alright until I logged in.When i was logging into my desktop, it was saying "preparing windows" where the "welcome" text should be. I thought nothing of it because my computer is really slow and has done...
  3. My computer seems to have randomly half-reset all of its data.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My computer seems to have randomly half-reset all of its data.: When I woke up this morning and turned on my computer, everything was alright until I logged in.When i was logging into my desktop, it was saying "preparing windows" where the "welcome" text should be. I thought nothing of it because my computer is really slow and has done...
  4. Windows 10 update deletes all user data

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 update deletes all user data: Good DayWe have this issue where some windows 10 computers do an automatic update and then deletes all the user data, some software remains, but they do not work, why is this happening, this has happened over 10 times in the last 6 months, any advise?Kind Regards...
  5. Windows 10 update deletes all user data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 update deletes all user data: Good DayWe have this issue where some windows 10 computers do an automatic update and then deletes all the user data, some software remains, but they do not work, why is this happening, this has happened over 10 times in the last 6 months, any advise?Kind Regards...
  6. Windows 10 update deletes all user data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows Reset deletes all calendar and contact data

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Reset deletes all calendar and contact data: After the last two Microsoft updates my computer was becoming increasingly unstable. I decided to reset as a last resort after being shown a very short list of apps that would be deleted the list DID NOT include Microsoft Office or Quickbooks, VPN or Password manager and...
  8. Factory Reset attempt, deleted all user accounts

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Factory Reset attempt, deleted all user accounts: I attempted to factory reset and accidentally deleted all user accounts. I can't log in as my password is not accepted. what do I do? I have little computer knowledge, so a simple guide would benefit me greatly....
  9. User profile and all of my data is gone / windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    User profile and all of my data is gone / windows 10: My user profile and all my data, docs, photos, music, videos have disappeared from my laptop running windows 10. I was using my computer happily and hit restart and when it rebooted all of my info was gone!!! Please help me! Thanks...
  10. reset and erase all my data

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    reset and erase all my data: HI I cant reset my computer and erase all my data. when i try to do it in settings it dosent work and when i go to troubleshoot it dosent work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reset-and-erase-all-my-data/c54faacc-b0cc-497e-8c71-9b70f8a04840

Users found this page by searching for:

1. removing evauation copy build 17682.rs_prerelease.180525-1616