Windows 10: Windows 10 sees ZTE USB 3G modem as a dialup connection, not cellular

Discus and support Windows 10 sees ZTE USB 3G modem as a dialup connection, not cellular in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello Everyone, I hope you're all doing well *Smile I have a 2GB/month data connection on a ZTE USB 3G modem. When I connect, it shows up as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dckirba, Aug 16, 2016.

1. dckirba Win User

Windows 10 sees ZTE USB 3G modem as a dialup connection, not cellular

Hello Everyone,

I hope you're all doing well *Smile

I have a 2GB/month data connection on a ZTE USB 3G modem. When I connect, it shows up as a dialup connection in Windows 10, meaning that there is no way for me to make it a metered connection. This morning, Windows ate up 1.1 GB of data in the background while I was online for 30 minutes on Amazon and eBay and checking my email. That's half my data gone in a few minutes! *Eek

As you can imagine, I was pretty upset. However, I can't seem to find any workaround for this.

Is there any way to make Windows 10 see that this is a cellular mobile broadband connection? That way I'll be able to set it as a metered connection. Or is there any way to set dialup connections to metered connections? I really can't have all my data being used up in a day.

Thanks for your time!

David

:)

dckirba, Aug 16, 2016
  2. Time Lady Win User

ZTE MF 667 orange won't work on 1607 pro win 10 !

Have you downloaded the software required to make the modem work or is that what you're trying to do?

Have you tried right clicking the installer file & choosing run as administrator?

Is there a Cellc icon on your desktop?

Is it Windows 10 compatible? Is the pc up to date with patches/updates?

Try creating a manual connection rather than running the software, this page tells you how - it's for Mac OS but the actual details of what you need to enter will be the same.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/151988/zte-usb-modem-not-working-in-yosemite

This where you'll enter the details"

Connecting to Dialup on Windows 10

• In the bottom right-hand corner of the desktop, click the Network icon. ...
    • Select Dial-up Connection.
    • This will bring up the Network & Internet settings window. ...
    • Fill in the following details. ... enter the details found above
    • Click Dial to finish.

Time Lady, Aug 16, 2016
  3. Hung Bach Win User
    Samsung GT-I8750: How do I create a dialup connection

I am using this phone with a TPG sim. The 3G service for TPG is not good so internet sharing cannot be enabled. I would like to use this phone as a dialup modem when I connect it to my Win8 PC or Surface 2 RT through USB.

Does anyone know how this is done for this phone? or even if this phone is capable of being used as a dialup modem?

TIA

Hung Bach, Aug 16, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

Most likely, your modem manufacturer created their drivers as dial-up drivers, which means this was a choice by the modems manufacturer. They would have to create new drivers.

You are probably either stuck with it as is, or buy a different one.

Mystere, Aug 16, 2016
  5. dckirba Win User
    Thanks, that's what I feared. It would be nice if Windows 10 had a way to set any connection to a metered one, since that is the case in a few places. The lack of the option is frustrating.

dckirba, Aug 16, 2016
  6. Mystere Win User
    There may be a registry hack to do so. I am not as familiar with it, so someone else may be able to offer assistance.

Mystere, Aug 16, 2016
  7. dckirba Win User
    Thank you, I will look into that *Smile

dckirba, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 sees ZTE USB 3G modem as a dialup connection, not cellular - Similar Threads - sees ZTE USB

2. Hspa Modem 3G Modem Not Working , Only Intializes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hspa Modem 3G Modem Not Working , Only Intializes: Hi there , i have a problem with my HSPA modem 3G, driver version 2.0.5.9. It works well on windows 8 and i am using windows 11. I did upgrade my computer from windows 10 to 11 Pro 23H2 last year and it worked well with my windows 10 . I tried to do compatability troubleshoot...
  3. Hspa Modem 3G Modem Not Working , Only Intializes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hspa Modem 3G Modem Not Working , Only Intializes: Hi there , i have a problem with my HSPA modem 3G, driver version 2.0.5.9. It works well on windows 8 and i am using windows 11. I did upgrade my computer from windows 10 to 11 Pro 23H2 last year and it worked well with my windows 10 . I tried to do compatability troubleshoot...
  4. Windows 10 - Dialup Modem - Modem Initialization Occurs Twice

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 - Dialup Modem - Modem Initialization Occurs Twice: I would like to know how to stop Windows from initializing a dialup modem twice with different initialization strings. I marked the two initializations in bold. The first string sets &K0&H0, this is correct and it comes from the modem Advanced->Changed Default Preferences...
  5. Windows 10 dialup connection

Windows 10 dialup connection: Have PC with Windows 10 OS and Zoom modem 3095, recommended by my dialup ISP. Can't connect to my dialup ISP, system goes through dial, authorization/connect steps, gives error 720. Modem saayys working properly but additional installation needed. What's problem, please? Jack...
  6. Ethernet Connection Disables Cellular Modem

Ethernet Connection Disables Cellular Modem: I'm running Windows 10 Pro 2004 with a DW5811e Snapdragon X7 LTE WWAN card for cellular access on my laptop and whenever I connect an ethernet cable to my system with routes, the cellular immediately turns off. If I remove any routes that use the ethernet connection, the...
  7. Roaming with a USB cellular modem

Roaming with a USB cellular modem: While trying to roam internationally with a USB cellular modem I am unable to select any network other than the home network and therefore unable to connect. The instructions say you can chooseSearch for networks, and then select another cellular network, but there is no...
  8. MMX352G 3G usb modem does not connect to hspa

MMX352G 3G usb modem does not connect to hspa: Whenever I switch to HSPA/UMTS only in the network mode, it shows no service. Can you please help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mmx352g-3g-usb-modem-does-not-connect-to-hspa/3a7be352-203f-4f8b-b99c-6fbd7b5dce1d
  9. cellular connection only 3g mode on windows 10

cellular connection only 3g mode on windows 10: My laptop model is HP "Folio 1040 G2" sim card supported. I installed the latest varsion driver for my cellular sim and my cellular connection has been activated too. but in my area 4g connection power is very low. for this reason most of the time 2G is activated instead of...
  10. issues setting up a connection into a 3g modem

issues setting up a connection into a 3g modem: im trying to connect to a remote 3g/4g modem that has a visualisation webserver connected to it - but i cannot seem to set up a dial into connection properly - any tips...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. zte 3G modem connection failed

2. i am connected to 3g modem in win 10 but it shows not connected to internet

3. 3g modem windows 10

4. windows 10 zte modem,
  5. windows 10 1809 modem cellular error