Windows 10: Windows 10 Serious Performance Issues

Discus and support Windows 10 Serious Performance Issues in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Okay so i know the title is a little vague, but i honestly don't think its just one thing that is wrong with my machine. I've tried everything i can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Benmcginn, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Benmcginn Win User

Windows 10 Serious Performance Issues

Okay so i know the title is a little vague, but i honestly don't think its just one thing that is wrong with my machine. I've tried everything i can think of but cant get anywhere with it so here i am, i'll describe the problem as best i can.

Im running Windows 10 on my rig, got 8gb RAM, 2TB HHD, 4GHZ AMD processor, GTX 980Ti video card. The computer has seen extensive usage over the past year without any maintenance carried out on it at all, from cleaning out the case to tidying up the system files. I've disassembled, cleaned it, reassembled and hoped to be able to tidy up the system files to restore the computer to working order.

So here is the problem(s):

The computer seems to take a good two, three minutes to boot up, after which it is completely inoperable for another 5 - 10 minutes until it shows a pop up from Microsoft Visual C++ saying "This application hs requested the runtime in an unusual way'. So there is that and the fact that it takes a good, i dunno 20 minutes before i can even use file explorer without it not responding and crashing.

Its really dicy what applications actually work and which don't, some i will try to boot and it'll just seem to be too much for the computer to handle causing it to reset even file explorer.

My Windows toolbar straight up doesn't work, all the shortcut icons have disappeared, the start button, search bar and keyboard shortcuts don't work. So i have no straight forward way of actually doing anything on the system.

I have tried to run an anti virus scan with AVG, but it wont work, so i tried to uninstall AVG and it wont uninstall. So now it seems i don't even have anti virus protection. From there its a mixed bag, somethings can be uninstalled, others cant.

Then i tried to use AVG PC Cleaner to see if it couldn't free up some performance that is clearly being sapped, but it always crashes part way through and never finishes.

Lastly i got tired and decided to just manually back up my steam folder and restore the computer to factory settings, but even doing that doesn't work, it crashes not even halfway through and simply says 'No changes were made'. I don't have a system restore point, so this really was my last option and even that seems to not be able to run on this system.

Im really quite stumped here, i know the information to go off of isn't exactly ideal but has anyone got any ideas?

:)

Benmcginn, Jul 4, 2017
  2. Marcomm_ Win User

USB3.0 serious performance issue

Thanks, I forgot to say that I've already updated the driver with the cd I found in the package...cannot find anything on Internet. Moreover I did the "Update Driver" from Device Manager but it told me I already have the latest version.

Windows 10 Serious Performance Issues [​IMG]

Marcomm_, Jul 4, 2017
  3. Marcomm_ Win User
    USB3.0 serious performance issue

Hi,

after installing Windows 10 Pro x64 I started to experience USB 3.0 performance problems: it starts at 100-130MB/s then after few seconds it goes down to 20MB/s till the end of the transfer.

With Win 7 Ultimate x64 performance was 130MB/s continuously (same hardware, of course, same connections and same origin and destination).

I have an expansion card Goobay "USB 3.0 Frontpanel 3.5"/5.25" mit PCIe Controller; Front Panel 3.5"/5.25" 4xUSB 3.0 PCIe".

Marcomm_, Jul 4, 2017
  4. zbook New Member

Have you had any malware on the computer?
    Are your files backed up?
    Had you made an image of the drive?

This can be approached by troubleshooting one item at a time or you can perform an in place upgrade repair that is is likely to address many issues at one time.
    The in place up grade repair is done with a windows 10 iso.
    Provided you can complete this in place up grade repair you will be able to keep files and applications.
    The in place upgrade repair can be done if you can boot to the desk top, open file explore, and then open a setup.exe file on the bootable windows 10 iso flash drive connected to the computer.
    You will need a flash drive that you can format.
    To create a bootable windows 10 iso : Download Windows 10
    This link will be useful as it has text and images so that you can learn about and perform the in place upgrade repair:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

If you think you have malware on the computer then you might want to perform a clean install.

zbook, Jul 4, 2017
  5. cereberus Win User
    Try a repair upgrade by downloading latest iso, double clicking on it and running setup.exe.

cereberus, Jul 4, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Um... be careful about recommending an in-place upgrade repair.

Benmcginn's specs show
    OS: windows 10 professional version 1607 build 14393.969 64 bit

So that's the Anniversary build.

Following the tutorial will mean upgrading to the Creator's build - which itself can cause system slow-downs for some users.

First thing to do anyway given the multiple issues is to check the drive - if failing, there's no point attempting repairs.

Please download and install Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of its GUI.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon.

dalchina, Jul 4, 2017
  7. AddRAM Win User
    Why are you using AVG PC Cleaner *Banghead it`s garbage and you don`t need it.

Do yourself a favor and do a clean install of the Anniversary Update. Especially since you haven`t kept the system in good working order in over a year.

And do yourself another favor and buy a solid state drive to install Windows on instead of that hard drive.

SSD 850 PRO 2.5" SATA III 256GB Memory & Storage - MZ-7KE256BW | Samsung US

If you can afford a 512 GB ssd then get one of them, but it`s not necessary.

SSD 850 PRO 2.5" SATA III 512GB Memory & Storage - MZ-7KE512BW | Samsung US

Clean Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

AddRAM, Jul 4, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Reiterate:
    First thing to do anyway given the multiple issues is to check the drive - if failing, there's no point attempting repairs.

Please download and install Hard Disk Sentinel (trial) and post a screenshot of its GUI.
    To post a screenshot please use the Insert Image icon above your post to the left of the video icon.

As soon as you get back to a working state, do yourself a huge favour and start using disk imaging routinely. (E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + external storage for disk imaging).

Then if sthg goes wrong you can restore to a previously working state without technical help.

dalchina, Jul 4, 2017
  9. Benmcginn Win User
    I'm aware that i need to upgrade to SSD drives, but those are upgrades, not repairs. I don't have the money to upgrade it at the moment. And like i said in the original post, i cant uninstall AVG OR do a fresh install. Both options don't work for me.

Benmcginn, Jul 4, 2017
  10. simrick Win User
    Hi. Agree with Dalchina. Check the drive health and then run a chkdsk on it. That is the first order of business.

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Serious Performance Issues - Similar Threads - Serious Performance Issues

2. Serious Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Serious Issue: Hi,I was trying to reset my PC yesterday but it got stuck at 39% for over 2 hours, then the power got cutted off. After I re-charged my PC, it showed me option to choose operating system for 2 times and later it restarted and got stucked in blinking page. Now it just turns on...
  3. Serious Issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Serious Issue: Hi,I was trying to reset my PC yesterday but it got stuck at 39% for over 2 hours, then the power got cutted off. After I re-charged my PC, it showed me option to choose operating system for 2 times and later it restarted and got stucked in blinking page. Now it just turns on...
  4. Windows 10 and Norton Antivirus Serious Performance Drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 and Norton Antivirus Serious Performance Drop: PROBLEM: * My Laptop had some serious performance drop. Every day, the first two hours of my work day were a nightmare. - I power on my laptop and then had to go for a coffee until the login screen would appear. - Then I log in, go for another coffee and then come back to see...
  5. Windows 10 and Norton Antivirus Serious Performance Drop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 and Norton Antivirus Serious Performance Drop: PROBLEM: * My Laptop had some serious performance drop. Every day, the first two hours of my work day were a nightmare. - I power on my laptop and then had to go for a coffee until the login screen would appear. - Then I log in, go for another coffee and then come back to see...
  6. Windows 10 and Norton Antivirus Serious Performance Drop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. KB4577063 Serious system performance issues DO NOT INSTALL!!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB4577063 Serious system performance issues DO NOT INSTALL!!!: I had a windows update which installed KB4577063, this caused serious issues with apps and software trying to open/run/launch etc. Login Screen would take 15-20 to open, then at the desktop apps would take 15-20 secs to open, even systems apps like "Settings" would take...
  8. Serious performance issues

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Serious performance issues: Hey all. I need some help fixing some major performance issues. I'm running the 1909 version of windows and before the KB....799 update my laptop was running just fine but after it downloaded I couldn't run anything. I play guitar through programs on my laptop and they...
  9. Serious Windows 10 or Display issue?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Serious Windows 10 or Display issue?: I tried playing The Wolf Among Us on Steam last night, swapping the primary display to my second screen a ~2015 tv and bumping up the resolution in game. The computer began lagging, requiring me to end the task but the game ran fine on second attempt. Since then I have...
  10. Windows 10 serious issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 serious issues: Hey guys, bit of a lengthy one here but we'd appreciate your help So, the past couple of days we've been having real issues with our Compaq CQ2000 PC with Windows 10 installed on it (upgraded from windows 8 about 2 years ago). First issue I noticed was a massive graphical...