Windows 10: Windows 10 Servicing Options for Window 10 Pro update blurb

Discus and support Windows 10 Servicing Options for Window 10 Pro update blurb in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, Running Windows 10 Pro 1511 10586.545. On the 10th the system updated : Security Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by glennc, Aug 20, 2016.

1. glennc Win User

Windows 10 Servicing Options for Window 10 Pro update blurb

Hello,
    Running Windows 10 Pro 1511 10586.545. On the 10th the system updated :
    Security Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3172729)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition - August 2016 (KB890830)

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3176493).

I had updates on automatic. Subsequently I one Blue apology screen, otherwise all seemed fine until this morning. I left the computer for about 10 minutes and upon my return, it was rebooting. Nothing I had been doing should have caused that. The rebooting process was quite overly long as if it was installing an update. Once back up, I checked for any updates and none were shown. I began investigating and identified that I had 1511 and the Windows update info page show it correctly and another version ?Anniversary Version? 1607. I noticed this section:

Windows 10 Servicing Options for Window 10 Pro update blurb [​IMG]

Not knowing if the 1607 upgrade would cause the loss of my Pro version I looked and could not understand the above Windows 10 Servicing policy.................................... Why should/would I defer upgrades ???

I decided to solicit some help here on the forum. Unfortunately while typing my first attempt question, my computer did another Blue Apology screen crash.

I am mainly concerned about the unsolicited and as yet unexplained lengthy restart. Also about why the Servicing Policy would mention Windows 10 Pro and the difference from I am assuming a normal Windows 10 upgrade.
    I hope someone will take the time to assist or explain.

:)

glennc, Aug 20, 2016

2. windows 10 update problem

I just buy new dell laptop core intel i3 -7100u processer. All software installed but stopped in updating windows 10 when it started. How can I solve this problem ?

Regards

*** Email address is removed for privacy ***

window 10 update problem, Aug 20, 2016
  3. Lenovo laptop and turning off automatic updates from windows

Your options are limited if you have Windows 10 Home installed. If you upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, there are more suitable options.

In Windows 10 Home, you can use Active Hours and Restart options:

How to Manage Windows Update with Active Hours Feature

also:

How to Defer, Block or Uninstall Windows 10 Updates

The Windows 10 Pro Creators Update lets you do more with delaying updates:

Whats New in Windows Update in the Windows 10 Creators Update

Andre Da Costa, Aug 20, 2016
  4. marsmimar Win User

As I understand things, Windows 10 Pro gives users the ability to kinda, sorta customize how updates and upgrades are handled. I'm running 10 Pro v1511. When I click Start > Settings > Update & security > Advanced options, I see this dialog box:

Windows 10 Servicing Options for Window 10 Pro update blurb [​IMG]

You can choose to have updates installed automatically (recommended by Microsoft) or you could have Microsoft notify you to schedule a restart when it's most convenient for you. You can also select how updates are delivered. You can select to receive updates from one source (Microsoft) or from more than one source. (Microsoft says this could speed up app and update downloads.)

But also on the above dialog box is an option to Defer upgrades. An upgrade is when Windows 10 receives a major overhaul (like going from v1511 to v1607.) Some folks want to wait a while to make sure the bugs are ironed out and they don't want updates downloading/installing the latest upgrade.

As far as a lengthy restart after installing the latest updates, all I can tell you is my computers took an average of 30 minutes to finish the process. I'm guessing that was due in part to my ISP's download speed as well as the scan done by Microsoft's monthly Malicious Malware Removal Tool.

I hope this helps a bit. If not, I apologize for taking up your time.

marsmimar, Aug 20, 2016
  5. glennc Win User
    Hello marsmimar,
    Thank you for your time and your response. My system is the same as yours! Thanks for clarifying the update features. I am afraid that the unusual and lengthy restart is not explained as yet.
    Do you know when v1511 was released? Also my wife's Windows 10 laptop did a update to 1607 after I wrote the first post of this thread.
    Still confused. Thanks again!
    glenn

glennc, Aug 21, 2016
  6. glennc Win User
    Update - another blue screen and another internal error message and reboot

glennc, Aug 21, 2016
  7. Berton Win User
    If I may: Version 1511 was released in November 2015. The latest is Version 1607 for July 2016, actually released on August 2, 2016 [after the weekend?]. Version 1607 is somewhat slower reaching everyone than some released builds have been.

Berton, Aug 21, 2016
  8. glennc Win User

Thank you Berton! My system didn't show any updates. I am still concerned about the lengthy reboot and the blue screen error increase. Hope it sorts itself out......... Take Care

glennc, Aug 21, 2016
  9. glennc Win User
    I checked my reliability history and it showed multiple "Windows improperly shutdown" as Critical Events, on the day of the inertial incident and numerous days since. This would explain my unusual reboots and the beginning of this series of events.
    What is the Microsoft .Net Native Framework Package 1.2.23205.0? It shows, if I am reading it correctly, that on 8/22/16 the incident day, that it was successfully updated. The same time my problems began.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks for any assistance

glennc, Aug 22, 2016
  10. marsmimar Win User
    Microsoft's .net framework and its various components have been a source of problems for many years, specifically during updates. Your issue could be the result of a failed, damaged, or corrupted .net framework update. I found this old Ten Forums thread that links to a Microsoft Answers thread in post # 3. The Microsoft Answers thread gives two possible methods to fix things. (The author is a Microsoft Forum Moderator and a Microsoft Support Engineer so the info should be valid.)

Method 1 uses the built-in Windows Troubleshooter. Method 2 uses more of a brute force work around to reset Windows Update components. Please note that there appears to be a typo in Method 2, Step 3. There should be a space in between ...SoftwareDistribution and SoftwareDistribution.bak (in other words the correct command line should look like:
    Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak)

As always I suggest that anyone making systgem changes create a new System Restore Point, or better yet, a System Image, just in case.

marsmimar, Aug 22, 2016
  11. glennc Win User
    Howdy marsmimar,
    My reliability and problem history shows windows was not properly shutdown and windows stopped working everyday since 8/20/16, numerous times.
    I've checked and the Microsoft .Net Native Package 1.2.23205.0 shows successfully updated on August 9, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 18, 19, 20, 21, and the 22nd. Is this normal. I ran the Windows Troubleshooter as in Method 1 and it indicated no problems. I am concerned about using brute force with my experience level. Also the History showed the successful installations of Solitaire and other apps.
    Thanks again for your time and help!

Also I ran a Maintenance Task manually this morning.........

glennc, Aug 23, 2016
  12. marsmimar Win User
    A quick google search for "Microsoft .Net Native Package 1.2.23205.0 constantly updates" showed this to be a fairly widespread issue. Most of the comments point to a bug with the Windows Store. The general consensus is it's harmless (albeit, annoying) and Microsoft will someday fix it after fixing more pressing problems with Windows 10.

Several of these websites offer specific tools or utilities to fix the constant updates but I would be hesitant to try any of them without a new restore point or system image. In the alternative, Microsoft has released a specific troubleshooter for the Windows Store. This article gives more info.

marsmimar, Aug 23, 2016
  13. glennc Win User

Thanks for narrowing down the areas of concern, to this issue. I will do some follow up if that is all that it is. Much appreciated Sir!

glennc, Aug 24, 2016
  14. marsmimar Win User
    Hopefully this issue will be addressed sooner, rather than later. Unfortunately, the Windows 10 Anniversary Update seems to have its own problems and I think Microsoft will be concentrating on those.

marsmimar, Aug 24, 2016
  15. glennc Win User
    Well I guess I will keep my fingers crossed for their support. Wish it would just quit crashing. It crashed over 13 times yesterday. Only thing that occurs that many times is the power saver shutdowns. Luckily I didn't see all but three of them.
    Thanks again

glennc, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Servicing Options for Window 10 Pro update blurb - Similar Threads - Servicing Options Window

2. Windows 10 Pro No WIFI option

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Pro No WIFI option: Windows 10 Pro shows zero option to connect to the internet via WIFI. Under all the setting I go to look, it shows ethernet, dial-up, VPN, and Proxy. Wifi doesn't pop up and a search for that only takes me to printers and scanners device settings. When trying to "fix" issues...
  3. Windows 10 Pro No WIFI option

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 Pro No WIFI option: Windows 10 Pro shows zero option to connect to the internet via WIFI. Under all the setting I go to look, it shows ethernet, dial-up, VPN, and Proxy. Wifi doesn't pop up and a search for that only takes me to printers and scanners device settings. When trying to "fix" issues...
  4. How to fix start or stop services options greyed out in Services on Windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    How to fix start or stop services options greyed out in Services on Windows 10 pro: How to fix start or stop services options greyed out in Services on Windows 10 professional? O/S Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional X64 Service Pack: Service Pack 1[ATTACH] I tried running services.msc as admin still same issue. What could be causing it and...
  5. Modify Windows 10 pro services

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Modify Windows 10 pro services: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, please be nice to give me what services I modify in Windows 10 pro for better laptop performance. Wait for response! A good day!...
  6. No Sleep option Windows 10 pro

in Windows 10 Support
    No Sleep option Windows 10 pro: I have just installed windows 10 Pro on a new computer and there isn't a sleep option. I have looked in settings under power options - Change settings that are currently unavailable but there is NO option for sleep. Any ideas on how to get the sleep button on power options?...
  7. Options in Windows 10 Pro updates

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Options in Windows 10 Pro updates: Hello, I have googled a lot about this an d tried some of the solutions suggested, but no luck. I upgraded my Surface Pro 2 from 8.1 to 10 Pro.. all fine, but one of the things I am missing is the option that allows me to "check for updates but let me choose whether to...
  8. Windows 10 servicing options for updates and upgrades

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 servicing options for updates and upgrades: Windows 10 servicing options for updates and upgrades Applies to Windows 10 •Windows 10 Mobile •Windows 10 IoT Core (IoT Core) This article describes the new servicing options available in Windows 10 and IoT Core and how they enable enterprises to keep their...
  9. Windows 10 servicing options for updates and upgrades

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 servicing options for updates and upgrades: Windows 10 servicing options for updates and Upgrades - Last Updated: 4/6/2016 Applies to •Windows 10 •Windows 10 Mobile •Windows 10 IoT Core (IoT Core) This article describes the new servicing options available in Windows 10, Windows 10 Mobile, and IoT Core and...
  10. Windows 10 servicing options for updates and upgrades

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 servicing options for updates and upgrades: Windows 10 servicing options for updates and upgrades [img] This article describes the new servicing options available in Windows 10, and how they enable enterprises to keep their devices current with the latest feature upgrades. It also covers related topics, such as...