Windows 10: Windows 10 settings needed for NAS installation

Discus and support Windows 10 settings needed for NAS installation in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am planning to install a NAS , mainly home use for backups and for streaming pictures to a TV. I have no knowledge of networking, so plan to buy a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by turboman, Dec 29, 2016.

1. turboman Win User

Windows 10 settings needed for NAS installation

I am planning to install a NAS , mainly home use for backups and for streaming pictures to a TV. I have no knowledge of networking, so plan to buy a NAS which is easy to install. I read that e.g. WD My Cloud Mirror has an easy installation.

My question is now what Windows 10 settings I have to do before I start the NAS installation. The NAS manual does not say anything about that.
    E.g. I suppose that I have to make the PC and laptops discoverable and activate that setting somewhere. Any other settings needed? Do I have to configure a Windows Home Group?

:)

turboman, Dec 29, 2016

2. Windows Refresher Tool

I'v purchased na Acer Laptop with Windows 10 in it.

I need to use Windows refresher tool and am aware of the drivers I'll need to install after that.

My question is, this laptop does not come with na Windows 10 Activation key sticker below it, so I'm afraid that I might run the refresher and need it for proper instalation later.

Can someone please shed some light on this topic?

011.guilherme, Dec 29, 2016
  3. homegroup with windows 10 & windows 7.

On the windows 8.1 machines: When I first tried to access the NAS network credentials were asked for. I signed in with the user names and passwords established in the NAS and checked for them to be saved. This provided me with seems access. By the way
    the machine already saw the NAS on the network. The NAS was is setup as DHCP, not static.

As for Windows 10: The machine doesn't see the NAS on the network (the NAS has all the same settings and passwords). Only sees it after a reboot, power cycle or factory reset of the NAS; for a limited time and then it can't find it again. When I accessed
    the NAS through the app on the win10 machine, network credentials were asked for given and saved, access to the NAS was given. When win10 sees the NAS, I have access to it.

Therefore the credentials must be established.

If there is something extra to do in win10, I'm not aware of it. If the NAS has to be a static IP, I'm not aware of it. If you mean something else or have further direction, like how to create said network credentials, I'm reading.

LorenCarlson, Dec 29, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Here's a good video for you:
    [youtube]T7YXpSPtW8E[/youtube]

topgundcp, Dec 29, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    There is nothing to setup on your computer to connect a NAS to your network. You cannot use Home Group with Samba, NFS or FTP.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 settings needed for NAS installation - Similar Threads - settings needed NAS

2. File on NAS and Folder on NAS needs to be deleted thumbs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File on NAS and Folder on NAS needs to be deleted thumbs: Windows 10 Pro in Workgroup 20H2 version NAS Buffalo \\nasbuffaloipaddress\backups\backup2020.old and thumbs file in folder Have rebooted NAS and stopped backup service in services Would like to delete The file 'thumbs.db' is a system file. If you remove it, Windows or...
  3. Windows 10 NAS Issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 NAS Issues: I have recently set up a NAS server. But, I am having issues connecting to it. I have 4 Windows 10 computers. Only two of them can connect to it. The share is not password protected, that is what error I am getting. Sometimes it says windows can't access NAYLOR-NAS. I am not...
  4. Windows 10, networks and NAS

Windows 10, networks and NAS: Hi All I have two main PCs that I use on a home network, together with QNAPTS431 box. This setup worked reliably for years under Windows 7. Since "upgrading" reluctantly to Win 10 recently I have had nothing but problems. Connections are slow and unreliable, dropping...
  5. game installation on NAS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    game installation on NAS: I want to install COD WWII on QNAP NAS. When I choose destination folder I can see it in installer I get message "the drive or UNC share you selected does not exist or is unaccessible. Please select another". Though, The drive is connected and I can access it via file...
  6. windows 10 connect to nas

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 connect to nas: new computer (windows 10pro) will not connect to my nas https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-connect-to-nas/dda6bea2-6ab8-4226-9ea4-b91ac57beb6f
  7. Setting up NAS on Linksys router

Setting up NAS on Linksys router: Just recently replaced my old Linksys EA6400 router with a new EA8300 router, and going through the config screens, I saw one where I could set up a NAS using a USB stick. So, I inserted a 64GB USB3 stick into the router, formatted it, and created folders on it. The Linksys...
  8. Advice setting up NAS

Advice setting up NAS: Any advice would be appreciated as I really haven't got a clue how to set up what I want and the more I research the more confusing it seems to get. The sd card on my phone got corrupted not long ago, luckily I managed to get all my pictures from it but it given me a kick up...
  9. Settings that need to be made after installing Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Settings that need to be made after installing Windows 10 Pro: Hello, Dear ladies and gentlemen, I have a request to you. After installing Windows 10, of course, the drivers on the manufacturer's website and the programs I need, what settings can I make to my laptop to make my laptop work more efficiently and error-free, low resource...
  10. How to set default saving to NAS?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to set default saving to NAS?: Just upgraded to Win 10. Under Win 7 I had all my music stored on a NAS. I can get windows to use the music from there - although ti's been intermittenet sometimes telling me there is no music.... However, I want to set the NAS as the default save location for music. In...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. settings on windows 10 for tnas