Windows 10: Windows 10 shortened my name to make my Users dir

Discus and support Windows 10 shortened my name to make my Users dir in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I just installed build 10162 clean on my desktop. All went well. I found NVidia drivers and installed without issue. I noticed, however, that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by darreld, Jul 3, 2015.

1. darreld Win User

Windows 10 shortened my name to make my Users dir

Hi all,
    I just installed build 10162 clean on my desktop. All went well. I found NVidia drivers and installed without issue.
    I noticed, however, that windows created my Users dir as 'C:\Users\darre' when my name is correctly shown in the control panel and account info ('Darrel'). Is this normal for Win 10? I can't seem to rename it (access denied).

I do a lot of work from the command line so it will be noticeable to me.

Thanks,
    -darrel

:)

darreld, Jul 3, 2015
  2. pvd76 Win User

account name and folder name gets limited to 5 characters

Hello,

my user name is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***. In my windows 10 system, the user name of folder automatically gets shortened to C:\Users\creat

How to change this to creativity, for example C:\Users\creativity

pvd76, Jul 3, 2015
  3. Alpha111 Win User
    Windows 10 user name shortened.

Thank you. I did do fresh install, did not use my Microsoft account, just created a local user.

Then associated the PC with my Microsoft account.

Again, thank you very much.

Alpha111, Jul 3, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

If you're doing work from the command line, just use the %HOMEPATH% environment variable, and then you never have to worry about what your name is... The bonus is that your scripts will now work for any username.

But to answer your question, if you create an account with your MSA account, then yes. This is what it does. To work around it, you can create a local account, then switch it to an MSA.

Mystere, Jul 3, 2015
  5. darreld Win User
    Thank you, that was exactly what was needed.

-darrel

darreld, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 shortened my name to make my Users dir - Similar Threads - shortened name Users

2. Unable to delete a DIR with character "&" in the name in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to delete a DIR with character "&" in the name in Windows 10: I have created by mistake a DIR in C:\> by the name of "Jazz & Musical - " without "" of course and with a space at the end of it; the DIR is empty.1 I cannot delete or rename that DIR with the usual Windows 10 commad "delete" and "rename"2 Then I tried in DOS with "CMD".3 I...
  3. Batch shorten file names

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Batch shorten file names: Hi everyone!I have a bunch of files for work, which all have a name like 'FunTimes-party2020', 'BossMan-party2020', 'GroupPhoto-party2020' just as a example.I need to shorten the names of the files in the example, remove the "party2020", but there are hundreds of files. Is...
  4. Batch shorten file names

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Batch shorten file names: Hi everyone!I have a bunch of files for work, which all have a name like 'FunTimes-party2020', 'BossMan-party2020', 'GroupPhoto-party2020' just as a example.I need to shorten the names of the files in the example, remove the "party2020", but there are hundreds of files. Is...
  5. old user name folder make my app crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    old user name folder make my app crash: I just bought my laptop today. then when I signed up for a Microsoft account at the beginning of the setup everything went smoothly, until I realized that the user name folder entered my name only partially, so I tried to replace it with a tutorial on the internet. I saved...
  6. old user name folder make my app crash

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    old user name folder make my app crash: I just bought my laptop today. then when I signed up for a Microsoft account at the beginning of the setup everything went smoothly, until I realized that the user name folder entered my name only partially, so I tried to replace it with a tutorial on the internet. I saved...
  7. old user name folder make my app crash

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Windows dir name

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows dir name: My computer will not start. My probing has revealed that Windows is "gone" Where it's supposed to be is a dir called"$WINDOWS.·-BT" I can't get the squiggly line to type. 1.what is the correct name of the Windows 10 directory? 2. How do I change it in the CMD prompt?...
  9. Windows 10 changed my user name

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows 10 changed my user name: I upgraded from Win 7 a few weeks back, but it ran painfully slow and I didn't have the time to get into it, so I went back to 7 using my latest image file. Now that I do have some time - I did the upgrade and clean install method, no speed issues whatsoever now. During...
  10. User name shortened - error ?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User name shortened - error ?: In C Drive under users my user name shows as "tomfe" instead of Tom or TomFerguson. Not a serious issue but one I want to correct as is just is not correct. Can't seem to find a way to change it. Any suggestions welcome. [img] 18318

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows user name shortened

2. windows user name folder shortened

3. windows 10 shortened user

4. user account name shortened windows 10,
  5. windows 10 shortened user name