Windows 10: Windows 10 shows the apps names different or odd

Discus and support Windows 10 shows the apps names different or odd in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Windows 10 shows the apps names different or odd Hey there, It has been a few days I have installed windows 10 on my pc. Windows default apps... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by rostami, Oct 10, 2015.

1. rostami Win User

Windows 10 shows the apps names different or odd

Hey there,
    It has been a few days I have installed windows 10 on my pc. Windows default apps names are Strange.Heres a photo:

Windows 10 shows the apps names different or odd [​IMG]

:)

rostami, Oct 10, 2015

2. Odd app name

I tried your suggestion and the app is fine on the other account. But I need my user account as my files are in there. Is there a way to fix this somehow without making a new account?

By the way, thanks for getting back to me and for trying to help.

bonjohnp4ever, Oct 10, 2015
  3. Vinodh.V Win User
    Odd app name

Hi,

Thank you for your patience.

This problem might be caused due to user profile corruption.

We would suggest you to create a new local user profile and check if the issue persists, this being a inbuilt app, you don't have an option to uninstall it.

To know more about user account, refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-user-account#create-user-account=windows-8

Note: This article is designed for Windows 8/8.1, use this as a reference.

Hope this information helps, for further assistance please reply.

Vinodh.V, Oct 10, 2015
  4. Berton Win User

Apparently you have different things on your Win10, I have nothing identifiable with what you show but then the full names aren't all visible, can't see what they are. I have no Other entry in my list. Does the @ symbol before the names suggest something involving texting, maybe involving a Smart Phone?

Berton, Oct 10, 2015
  5. rostami Win User
    I have the compelet names and no smartphone is connected but they are system apps like maps or calendar and thanks for answering.

rostami, Oct 10, 2015
  6. Berton Win User
    I have Maps and Calendar but nothing unusual about the names or tiles.
    Attachment 42304

Berton, Oct 10, 2015
  7. rostami Win User
    I have no idea why mine is like that.

rostami, Oct 10, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

@ rostami:

Open the Store/Downloads and Updates, they need to be updated or possibly reinstalled.

Edwin, Oct 10, 2015
  9. Cliff S New Member
    I can't help fix it, but to me it looks like your start menu is showing links for:
    C:\Users\YourNameHere\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Application Shortcuts

instead of:
    C:\Users\YourNameHere\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

Cliff S, Oct 10, 2015
  10. lx07 Win User
    Make a new account and see if it happens there. If the new account is OK this means your %localappdata%\TileDataLayer\Database is corrupt.

To fix it you need to copy the contents of this folder from an account that works to your existing account. There are some instructions here Resetting Win 10 Start Menu - Windows 10 Forums

11. rostami Win User
    Thanks You are right.Everything was ok there(administrator account).but where is %localappdata%\TileDataLayer\Database ?

rostami, Oct 12, 2015
  12. lx07 Win User
    %localappdata% is a shortcut to C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Local. It is hidden by default - you need to enable viewing them. Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives - Show in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums. This isn't required though to fix this.

To correct this error (as described in the link above) you need 3 accounts. I've assumed your original account is rostami here - you'll need to change where it is red it if it is something else

• Create administrator account A and sign on and off.
    • Create administrator account B and sign on.
    • Copy the TileDataLayer database from account A to your original account. From elevated command prompt enter this: Code: xcopy /herky "C:\Users\B\TileDataLayer\Database" "C:\Users\rostami\TileDataLayer\Database\"[/quote]
    • Correct Authority. From elevated command prompt enter this: Code: icacls "C:\Users\rostami\TileDataLayer\Database" /grant "%USERDOMAIN%\rostami"Windows 10 shows the apps names different or odd :(F) /t[/quote]
    • Sign off account B and onto original account.
    • If all OK, delete accounts A and B.

13. rostami Win User

• Correct Authority. From elevated command prompt enter this: Code: icacls "C:\Users\\TileDataLayer\Database" /grant "%USERDOMAIN%\"Windows 10 shows the apps names different or odd :(F) /t[/quote]
    • Sign off account B and onto original account.
    • If all OK, delete accounts A and B.
    [/quote] Thank you very much.I solved it and it's great now.

rostami, Oct 14, 2015
  14. Almighty1 Win User
    To Fix this, all you have to do is:
    Take ownership of C:\Program Files\WindowsApps
    Add "ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES" to C:\Program Files\Windows Apps

Run the following in PowerShell (Administrator level):
    Get-AppxPackage -allusers | foreach {Add-AppxPackage -register "$($_.InstallLocation)\appxmanifest.xml" -DisableDevelopmentMode}

Almighty1, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 shows the apps names different or odd - Similar Threads - shows apps names

2. Odd Image File Names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Odd Image File Names: I was browsing & cleaning my Image files and came across some Icons I'm not familiar with. They have .jpg extensions and the icon looks like wall paper swaches for lack of a better term. Anyway, the Icons are square and have a pattern that looks like wall paper. There are...
  3. Odd Image File Names

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd Image File Names: I was browsing & cleaning my Image files and came across some Icons I'm not familiar with. They have .jpg extensions and the icon looks like wall paper swaches for lack of a better term. Anyway, the Icons are square and have a pattern that looks like wall paper. There are...
  4. Odd Image File Names

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Showing different name on my Microsoft Account

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Showing different name on my Microsoft Account: Hi, I’ve installed Microsoft Visual Studio on my laptop and to my surprise upon signing in, it is showing a different name Patrica Marie Jose Maderazo - a name I haven’t heard before. I tried changing it earlier but when I logged in again after 2 hrs in microsoft to verify,...
  6. odd name of locale in system information

odd name of locale in system information: [IMG] Anyone know what this is about? any help would be greatly appreciated https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/odd-name-of-locale-in-system-information/46fccb9f-da45-4838-898e-ae063189d745
  7. Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler?

Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler?: Hi, I've recently enabled the 'Task History' option on Task Manager, and this has led me to find some strange-looking tasks that seem to happen every day, roughly around 9 hours after I've turned my computer on. These tasks don't appear on the "Active Tasks" tab, nor...
  8. Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler?

in Windows 10 Support
    Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler?: Hi, I've recently enabled the 'Task History' option on Task Manager, and this has led me to find some strange-looking tasks that seem to happen every day, roughly around 9 hours after I've turned my computer on. These tasks don't appear on the "Active Tasks" tab, nor...
  9. Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler?

10. Odd owner folder name

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd owner folder name: Hello, After having installed win 10, windows has chosen w/o consulting me a concatenation of my 1st name and few characters of my last name as my folder name (the one in c:\users\). Can I change it back to my first name or <first>space<last> or anything sensible? Thank...