Windows 10: Windows 10 shutdown/restart issues

Discus and support Windows 10 shutdown/restart issues in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I recently performed a clean Windows 10 install. (From upgraded Windows 10 system) Now, i am facing some shutdown/restart issues. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ROG, Apr 7, 2017.

1. ROG
    ROG Win User

Windows 10 shutdown/restart issues

Hi everyone,

I recently performed a clean Windows 10 install. (From upgraded Windows 10 system)

Now, i am facing some shutdown/restart issues. I never had similar issues before even under the previous Windows 10 system. (Same hardware)

When i perform a shutdown/restart, the screen goes black but peripherals stay active (keyboard, mouse, HDD and fans) for at least 15 minutes.

I tried all the solutions that i found online :

- Downgrading Intel's Management Engine Interface driver to 9.xx version. I tried even deactivating it altogether but didn't work.
    - Un-checking fast shutdown from power options.
    - Turning off hibernation from cmd.
    - Resetting bios to default settings.

But nothing worked.

I don't think that the issue is hardware/driver related since the system shuts down properly when in "safe mode".

Any help / feedback is highly appreciated *Smile

:)

2. Shutdown/Restart issue.

We will have to try other solutions to help you address the issue. To get started, follow the troubleshooting steps below:

Method 1: You can restore the default settings of the Power Options and see if this solves the issue.

• In the Search bar, type Power Options.
    • Open the Control Panel and click the Change plan settings
      link next to your preferred plan.
    • Under Change settings for the plan, click the Restore default settings for this plan link.

Method 2: Check if there is an update that interrupts your PC from shutting down.

• In the Search bar, type Troubleshooting.
    • Open the Control Panel.
    • Under System and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Update.
    • Run the troubleshooter as administrator.

Once you are done, kindly give us a feedback about the result.

Jennifer Cha, Apr 7, 2017
  3. Shutdown/Restart issue.

Thank you for the additional information. Since you've mentioned that an update also occurred before you encountered the shutdown issue, we recommend following the troubleshooting steps below:

Option 1: Perform a System Restore to take your PC back to an earlier point when your PC is in a working state. To get started, please refer to the instructions in this article:
    Recovery options in Windows 10 and check the
    Restore from a system restore point section.

Option 2: You can also identify if there is a driver creating a conflict when shutting down your PC by entering
    Safe Mode and selecting
    Enable Boot Logging where you can view a log file that contains the status of all drivers.

• When entering Safe Mode, locate Enable Boot Logging in the menu then hit
      Enter.
    • Search ntbtlog.txt file on reboot in the
      C:\Windows folder (or %SystemRoot% folder).
    • Check the status of the drivers and look for any signs of problems. If you find one that's possibly causing the issue, you can go to Device Manager and disable the device or uninstall the program.
    • Reboot your PC and check if the issue still persists.

Once you are done with the steps above, kindly inform us of the result.

Jennifer Cha, Apr 7, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

I've had similar issue with shut down and restart after every upgrade when Windows resets properties of Intel Management Engine. In my case what has worked every time is to switch off Fast Boot both in Windows power plan settings and in UEFI settings, then unselecting Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power in Intel Management Engine's properties:

Windows 10 shutdown/restart issues [​IMG]

Kari, Apr 7, 2017
  5. ROG
    ROG Win User
    I couldn't find a "Power management" tab on my machine.

I did a fresh install and it's much better.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated *Smile

Thema:

1. Windows 10 shutdown/restart issues - Similar Threads - shutdown restart issues

2. Windows 10 Shutdown issue

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Shutdown issue: Windows appears to shut down normally but then the power button does nothing when attempting to turn it back on. If the power cable is unplugged/plugged back in then it boots up normally.Fast restart and hibernation are disabled. Restart and Sleep Mode work with no issues....
  3. Windows 10 Shutdown issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Shutdown issue: Windows appears to shut down normally but then the power button does nothing when attempting to turn it back on. If the power cable is unplugged/plugged back in then it boots up normally.Fast restart and hibernation are disabled. Restart and Sleep Mode work with no issues....
  4. Windows 10 shutdown issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 shutdown issue: Pretty much every Windows 10 owner/user had/have/are having are experiencing the Shutdown issue in which the computer is still running even after the screen goes blank the lights on the machine still runs. Windows 10 users resort to restarting the computer and then at the...
  5. Windows 10 shutdown issue

Windows 10 shutdown issue: Ever since I had purchased my first windows 10 desktop 2015 - factory built, I have been experiencing an issue that many, many other Windows 10 users were/are experiencing - the "shutdown" bug. In which after using the desktop/laptop for 2 hours or so or any length of time,...
  6. Windows 10 on Asus K55VM: Shutdown / Restart / Sleep issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 on Asus K55VM: Shutdown / Restart / Sleep issue: Hi, I installed Windows 10 (20H2) on my Asus K55VM laptop, but got into a Shutdown / Restart / Sleep related issue. Namely on Shutdown / Restart / Sleep the laptop does NOT completely powers off, but gets stuck with the screen off but power light still on. To get over this...
  7. Windows 10 shutdown/restart issue

Windows 10 shutdown/restart issue: Since last week, my windows is not able to shutdown/restart/hibernate or sleep. Every time I select any of these options, the screen goes black and nothing happens. The keyboard still reacts.I updated to the Windows 10 version 1004 yesterday, still no change. I have also...
  8. restart and shutdown issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    restart and shutdown issue: laptop with high performance with ssd . its been some months im having high restart and shutdown issue 2-5 min . but low boot time . you can speak technically . running on latest version 2004 submitted by /u/levitation_lavender [link] [comments]...
  9. windows 10 shutdown issue

windows 10 shutdown issue: hi everyone so i built my desktop in july its a Ryzen 7 3700x with an asus prime B-450 motherboard with corsair 16gb 3000mhz ram with an nvidia RTX 2060 Super with an m.2 ssd from western digital and a 1tb hard drive but as of last week when i shut down my computer it says...
  10. Windows 10 Shutdown Issue

Windows 10 Shutdown Issue: Hi, I'm having issues shutting down my pc. Whenever I shutdown through the start menu, my pc will temporarily shut off and then restart. This forces me to do a manual shutdown by holding the power button on the case whenever I want to turn my pc off. Any suggestions on how...