Windows 10: Windows 10 sleep shortcut

Discus and support Windows 10 sleep shortcut in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, in Windows 7 I used this cmd to sleep my PC: rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0 (I have hibernation disabled) when I pressed a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by maxiu, Aug 6, 2015.

1. maxiu Win User

Windows 10 sleep shortcut

Hello,
    in Windows 7 I used this cmd to sleep my PC:
    rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0 (I have hibernation disabled)
    when I pressed a key my desktop would come up instantly, but now in Windows 10 it goes all the way through POST screen, the loading screen and then I see my desktop which takes a bit longer. Interestingly if I sleep my PC with the start menu (right click power > sleep) pressing a key wakes it up instantly just like on Windows 7. What's wrong with the cmd command and how can I fix it? I really would like to have an icon on my desktop for this.
    Thanks.

ed. ok I solved my problem by using PsShutdown

:)

maxiu, Aug 6, 2015

2. ShutDown button in desktop (Win-10)

How to get, create a shortcut into the desktop to sleep, shutdown or restart Windows (10) ?

MARCEL SAUCIER, Aug 6, 2015
  3. lenny- Win User
    Sleep Feature

After installing the latest build of Windows 10 I cant put my computer to sleep using the power button on my laptop. Is there anyway to put only a sleep shortcut on the windows 10 desktop.

lenny-, Aug 6, 2015
  4. PJLLB Win User

Could you provide the full command line you're using (for those of us that aren't quite up to speed on the PsShutdown flags)? Thank you in advance.

PJLLB, Aug 14, 2015
  5. maxiu Win User
    D:\PSTools\psshutdown.exe -d -t 0 -accepteula

maxiu, Aug 14, 2015
  6. Hello. Does anyone know how to create a desktop shortcut to invoke sleep in Windows 10 without having to run third-party software like PSTools?

I have tried the following, but they are not the same as "sleep":
    C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0
    C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
    C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe Powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep

rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0 makes my Win8 to hibernate (suspend-to-disk). It does not make it Suspend-to-RAM (named Sleep or Standby, depending on windows version) neither does it make go to hybrid sleep (suspend-to-RAM while at the same time save state to disk), as the Sleep option in the Shutdown menu.

They seem to work, but it is not sleep mode, because the power button does not flash and I can't wake my PC using my mouse. I think the above commands may be hibernate; the only way to wake the PC is by pressing the power button.

Thank you.

GODisaRefuge4Us, Oct 3, 2015
  7. deleted, combined with prior post

8. linw Win User

I use a shortcut with this code C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
    Start it in windows\system32
    Certainly works here.

linw, Oct 3, 2015
  9. Thanks Linw. I had that listed in my first post, and I will use it. However, it doesn't function the same as when I right click the windows button, choose "shut down or sign out", and then select Sleep.

With the command C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
    • the light on my PC power button does not flash (to indicate sleep mode); instead, the light is off
    • I can't wake my PC by using my mouse (I have to press my PC power button)
    So, it's not the same, but it does work (i.e., it does "sleep" my PC and wake it again).

Tenforums can archive this thread, if they like. My preference would be to find the command that acts the same as "sleep" when I select it from the windows button. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to have the same functionality. Thank you.

10. I think I found the answer.

Although I had turned-off the ability to hibernate in Control Panel/Power Options, apparently that's not enough. I also had to run the following command as administrator from a command prompt:

powercfg -hibernate off

After running the above command, either of the following shortcuts worked just like when I select "sleep" from the windows button:
    C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0
    C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState

FYI.

11. linw Win User
    Ah, I always turn off hibernation.

12. foss Win User
    Brilliant! I've trawled the internet loking for a solution to this. Still a problem running a current Win 10 (Build 14986.rs_prerelease.161202-1928).

I had the problem noted in the OP with the POST screen and slower startup from 'sleep'. And occasionally it would not restore at all, but start up afresh as though it had been shut down.

Running powerconfig -hibernate off solves this and I now have instant startup.

13. D4ni3l Win User

D4ni3l, Feb 21, 2017
  14. redwdc Win User
    For those who would like to be able to still use hibernate on their computer (I almost never "Shut Down" my laptop), here is another option along the same lines. Create a .bat file (I call it sleep.bat) with the following:
    Code: @echo off powercfg -hibernate off C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState powercfg -hibernate on[/quote] For the shortcut command I use:

cmd.exe /c D:\Data\sleep.bat

redwdc, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 sleep shortcut - Similar Threads - sleep shortcut

2. Sleep mode shortcut on windows11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep mode shortcut on windows11: Cannot get a sleep mode shortcut to work on windows 11. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-mode-shortcut-on-windows11/88805ad7-705e-49a9-9d02-042d9c98abe3
  3. Sleep mode shortcut on windows11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep mode shortcut on windows11: Cannot get a sleep mode shortcut to work on windows 11. Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sleep-mode-shortcut-on-windows11/88805ad7-705e-49a9-9d02-042d9c98abe3
  4. What shortcut keys can I use to put my computer to sleep?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What shortcut keys can I use to put my computer to sleep?: Hello,I want a faster way of putting my computer to sleep using my keyboard. I tried googling it and everyone says to use ALT + F4, so I tried it but it ended up closing the chrome window I had up instead. What other hotkeys can I use to put it to sleep?...
  5. What shortcut keys can I use to put my computer to sleep?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What shortcut keys can I use to put my computer to sleep?: Hello,I want a faster way of putting my computer to sleep using my keyboard. I tried googling it and everyone says to use ALT + F4, so I tried it but it ended up closing the chrome window I had up instead. What other hotkeys can I use to put it to sleep?...
  6. What shortcut keys can I use to put my computer to sleep?

7. Sleep Shortcut on Keyboard is Buggy

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Sleep Shortcut on Keyboard is Buggy: This is an interesting issue, and as I'd normally troubleshoot myself and fix the problem, this one has me stumped.Basically, I'll premise this with the idea that there are two ways to put a desktop to sleep:Option 1: Assigning a button via Windows settingsOption 2: Going to...
  8. Sleep Shortcut on Keyboard is Buggy

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep Shortcut on Keyboard is Buggy: This is an interesting issue, and as I'd normally troubleshoot myself and fix the problem, this one has me stumped.Basically, I'll premise this with the idea that there are two ways to put a desktop to sleep:Option 1: Assigning a button via Windows settingsOption 2: Going to...
  9. Sleep Shortcut on Keyboard is Buggy

10. Create Sleep Shortcut For Modern Standby PC

Create Sleep Shortcut For Modern Standby PC: Greetings, I am wondering if anyone knows how to create a sleep shortcut for a PC on 20H2 in modern standby. The old S3 shortcut and variants do not work with modern standby. rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0 etc I'm aware of the PlatformAoAcOverride key to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 which executable activates sleep