Windows 10: Windows 10 slow startup, short black screen before Welcome screen

Discus and support Windows 10 slow startup, short black screen before Welcome screen in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi TenForums people, Firstly i'm sorry if i posted this to the wrong thread im just a junior member lol. So on to my problem... I'm having a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by HootenannyMagic, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Windows 10 slow startup, short black screen before Welcome screen

Hi TenForums people,

Firstly i'm sorry if i posted this to the wrong thread im just a junior member lol.

So on to my problem...

I'm having a much much slower startup time. And i mean really slow. I'm using Windows 10 Pro x64 build 10586.916 on a quadcore AMD processor with 8gbs of RAM and a 7200 rpm hard drive. Quite a new PC, only three months old.
    More than a week ago (June 1) i resetted this PC but keeping my files because of some other issue, so it's all working perfectly again.

Quite.

But now that i reinstalled some of my programs, i'm having some sort of sequence that always repeats and never changes at startup-
    1. BIOS screen
    2. Short monitor flickering
    3. Windows logo with a loading circle (6s)
    4. Flicker
    5. Windows logo with a loading circle but laggier (10s)
    6. Flicker
    7. Black screen with a responsive mouse cursor (7s)
    8. Loading circle on a grey screen(7s)
    9. Welcome screen (15s)

Thats how it always goes when restarting, but with a clean start (shutdown-5mins-boot) #5 & #6 seems to be skipped.

I believe this is caused by my graphics driver. When i checked the ntbtlog there were lots of entries of my processor, IGP drivers and other notable windows drivers (esp. dxgkrnl.sys) not being loaded. I have an attachment of the ntbtlog.

ntbtlog.txt

This week i've been uninstalling and reinstalling my graphics drivers for about 3-4 times but still no noticeable change. I've also seen the threads extremely similar to mine about this and used the temporary fixes but the issue keeps going back.

Can someone tell me what's going on? I really need this PC and boot times are actually important to me.
    Really huge thanks for someone who answers.

:)

HootenannyMagic, Jun 8, 2017
  2. Peace44 Win User

Windows 10 boot slowly

-I don't understand why but

+Fast Startup time : 50 sec

+Boot time: 210 sec

My last BIOS time : 3.6 sec

-Booting up splash screen shows up twice + black screen for 15-20 sec

-Welcome screen is super slow: 10 sec

-Fast Startup also has black screen but only for 5-10 sec

When i used windows 8, booting only takes 45 secs and fast startup takes 15-20 sec only

Plz help me.

Peace44, Jun 8, 2017
  3. Unicat Win User
    Extremely slow startup & wakeup

I have an HP Pavilion dv7 laptop. After upgrading from Windows 7 to 10. When the computer is starting up it is extremely slow, at times almost 10 minutes. When I turn the computer on I get to the screen that has the blue window with the dotted rotating circle
    below it. But after a few seconds I get a black screen & it stays on that black screen anywhere between 3-6 minutes, then I get the welcome screen, then finally I see my desktop. I also noticed that after closing my laptop, when I open it back up again, it
    stays stuck on that black screen for a few minutes before I see my desktop. There was times my Windows 7 would take maybe a minute, but never 10 minutes to startup & after closing my laptop, when I had opened it back up it automatically went right to the login
    screen, not a black screen like Windows 10 is doing.

I have seen many others complaining of the same issue, but none of the fixes I have seen has helped my computer startup any faster. I know if I can not get this fixed I am going to go right back to Windows 7.

Unicat, Jun 8, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Windows 10 slow startup, short black screen before Welcome screen

Hi, welcome to tenforums
    1. Your build
    2 major build upgrades have been released since that build (November 2015), one last year, and the current one.

Could I ask - did your 3-month-old PC come with this build, or did you install it using an old DVD/iso/boot disk?Are you using the old build of choice or necessity?

2. Could you clarify - slower than what?

Meanwhile you could try disabling Fast Startup as an experiment.
    Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Thanks.

dalchina, Jun 8, 2017
  5. zinou Win User
    Symptoms you describ are generally caused by an outdated driver. Are all your drivers up to date ?

zinou, Jun 9, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    I'm thinking that upgrading (and new drivers) could be a more straightforward approach than trying to use technical tools for boot time analysis.

dalchina, Jun 9, 2017
  7. zbook New Member
    Let us know about any performance changes turning on and off fast start up and whether or not your drivers are up to date.

In case that does not fix the slow boot there are additional options:

1) Place you computer in clean boot to turn off all non-Microsoft services and start up items.
    How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...oot-in-windows
    This should give you the fastest boot times.
    If there is a noticeable difference in clean boot you can then work on isolating the service that is negatively impacting the boot.

Also open administrative command prompt and run:
    1) sfc /scannow
    2) dism /online /cleanup -image /restorehealth
    3) chkdsk /scan
    Let us know the results of each scannow, restorehealth and chkdsk /scan

zbook, Jun 9, 2017
  8. Windows 10 slow startup, short black screen before Welcome screen

Hey dalchina huge thanks for the reply.

1. I'm using 10586 cause it came with my PC,

2. The boot times were much slower when i resetted and then reinstalled my programs.

P.S. I'll try to disable fast startup first...I'm taking this lil PC back to my seller tomorrow btw.
    Thanks again.

HootenannyMagic, Jun 9, 2017
  9. I think it's the drivers too. I'm still using the ATI drivers that came with my motherboard CD.

I can't make sure that it's the drivers though, cause the first time i bought the PC i never had any boot problems and it's using the drivers from the mobo CD...

I also tried updating it multiple times before posting on this site cause after updating i didn't seem to see changes...
    Thanks for the reply though

HootenannyMagic, Jun 9, 2017
  10. dalchina New Member
    Ok, let's look at this differently.
    1. You have a very old build. Again, could you explain why you are using an old build?

Note that with current builds MS is continually updating their compatibility lists (see the multiple installs of one update which is continually updated - confusing new approach). Yours is a new PC - is it possible that because you are using an old Windows build you're not getting the latest drivers?

2. Please confirm that Windows Update fails on your PC.

Please post a screenshot of your Update History like this:

Windows 10 slow startup, short black screen before Welcome screen [​IMG]

3. Please confirm you have done nothing to disable Windows update, and have not set your connection as 'metered'.

dalchina, Jun 9, 2017
  11. zinou Win User
    zinou, Jun 9, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    @zinou - wouldn't it be wise to find out why it's not even updating before trying to analyse boot problems- further, why diagnose an old build like this?

Far better to do an upgrade one way or another- and that may well resolve everything.

That an old build is in use may even be linked to a slow boot.

I'm trying to reach a point where either Windows update will work, or, more simply, get a manual upgrade done.

I would prefer that, having checked the disk, the OP simply downloads an iso, creates a bootable Win 10 medium, and upgrades the Windows build.

dalchina, Jun 9, 2017
  13. Windows 10 slow startup, short black screen before Welcome screen

Alright sorry guys for not clearing this up enough but, I got the latest drivers straight from AMD. Radeon Crimson 17.6 to be exact.

My seller doesn't recommend me to update my OS, and i know that's kind of a huge problem. I've stayed with temporary activators for now until i purchase a key in a month or two cause i barely have money, i'm just a student and this is just my college PC.

I've ran chkdsk, sfc, dism, and defrags. Nothing's showing up.

I'll try to run the Performance Toolkit and post the logs, and if there's really no way around,
    i guess i'll just deal with this stuff until this PC breaks.

Thanks again

HootenannyMagic, Jun 10, 2017
  14. zbook New Member
    What was the explanation?
    That takes away a lot of free options.
    For example a corrupt operating system then what?
    You should leave yourself the backup option of in place upgrade to solve problems.
    That would enable you to keep files, applications etc. and solve most computer problems.

Was there any change in performance with clean boot?

Is it only a cold boot problem or are you also having problems with wake from hibernation or sleep?

See if turning off fast start up has any performance impact too.

The Pros and Cons of Windows 10 Mode

zbook, Jun 10, 2017
  15. Windows 10 slow startup, short black screen before Welcome screen [​IMG]

It seems like winlogon.exe and svchost.exe are having issues... I don't know why.

HootenannyMagic, Jun 10, 2017
Thema:

Windows 10 slow startup, short black screen before Welcome screen

1. Windows 10 slow startup, short black screen before Welcome screen - Similar Threads - slow startup short

2. Windows is stuck at the Lock Screen or Welcome Screen before login

in Windows 10 News
    Windows is stuck at the Lock Screen or Welcome Screen before login: [ATTACH]Sometimes when you turn on your computer, you get your Windows 11/10 login screen, but then it gets frozen, maybe reboots on its own, or it stops and does not respond to your command. You may get the login screen, but nothing happens after entering the password....
  3. Black screen before windows startup

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Black screen before windows startup: Hey, I have a Lenovo idea pad I got given as a hand me down from my sister. Was not in great shape when I received it but I reset it to factory setting and has been working fine for about 2 months since. A couple of weeks ago I started getting this issue. On start up the...
  4. Slow loading on windows 10 "welcome screen"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Slow loading on windows 10 "welcome screen": I recently upgraded some components of my pc, including disk and mb (I still have to upgrade cpu and ram but I don't think are the problems because I never had this problem before), So I full reinstalled windows on the new disk and erased the others (I have a nas for...
  5. black screen before startup

in Windows 10 Customization
    black screen before startup: i have a problem When I open the computer, a black screen appears for a minute or two and then it runs Windows. I want a solution to speed up the startup. Note: I use hard hdd, not sdd...
  6. Windows Is Very Slow On Welcome Screen

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Is Very Slow On Welcome Screen: Hello, I am running a 500gb hdd, i3 processor, 8gb RAM, Windows 10 x64 laptop. The boot is quite fast and opens the login screen within 20 seconds. I login and and the welcome screen pops up. It takes about 2 and a half minutes to load into my desktop. My desktop is empty,...
  7. Windows 10 Black screen before login screen

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Black screen before login screen: Looks like alot of people have this issue. This is a brand new pc that has recently started loading into a black screen for about 5-10minutes before finally showing the login page. Anyone else have this issue? What is the consensus to fix? submitted by /u/Nevinyrral...
  8. Black screen even before the "welcome" login

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen even before the "welcome" login: I get a black screen before I even enter the login part black with no mouse 5 minutes ago, the only thing I did was to add a second microsoft account to the PC, I went into the "your info" I think I removed the 'sign in" option, because I don't care about this I went to the...
  9. Black screen before login screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen before login screen: Hello everyone. I have recently experienced a problem with Windows 10. Whenever I select Windows 10 (I have dual-boot configuration, the other OS is Ubuntu), it normally boots and I hear the startup sound. I also see the mouse indicator and I can sometimes control it, yet...
  10. Black screen before login screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Black screen before login screen: The black screen occurs before login screen. It happens randomly. I have to move the mouse (haven't tried pressing keyboard) and it will show the login screen and windows will continue normally. On my device driver it shows only 1 display adapter that is NVIDIA GTX 970. My...