Windows 10: Windows 10 slowing down torrents/downloads - internet speed fine

Discus and support Windows 10 slowing down torrents/downloads - internet speed fine in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Ever since I've upgraded to Windows 10 I've noticed one weird artifact - torrents are much slower and they take much longer to pick up speed. Now,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Snaiper, Oct 31, 2015.

1. Snaiper Win User

Windows 10 slowing down torrents/downloads - internet speed fine

Ever since I've upgraded to Windows 10 I've noticed one weird artifact - torrents are much slower and they take much longer to pick up speed.

Now, why would that be? Well, the only observation I could make is that on Windows 10 it takes so much longer for PC to connect to peers. I've noticed this with BitLord, BitTorrent and Popcorn Time as well as some other downloaders that, perhaps, use peer-to-peer connection.

Now, as I cannot directly compare two PCs, I am not sure if Windows 10 somehow butchers each peer so it needs to connect to more than the usual amount of peers, but I did need to tweak the settings of torrent software.

I put Windows 10 on 2 of my other PCs and they all suffer the same issue as I. So it appears to be universal. I had Windows 8.1 and torrents would instantly rock up to 1.0-1.2Mb/s. However, even with the most optimal settings in BitTorrent, it takes some time, up to 10 or even 15 seconds sometimes, though mostly around 5 seconds for quicker torrents. The issue here is the fact that software, such as Popcorn Time, don't have those settings and downloads are not working as they used to.

And contrary to all that; when I went to test my speed, on 2 different websites, the results were normal, unaffected.

Anyone experiencing similar issues?

:)

Snaiper, Oct 31, 2015

2. Internet speeds extremely slow

How do I fix slow internet speeds on a laptop running windows 10, other computers running windows 8 are fine?

Deanea (live.com, Oct 31, 2015
  3. Rey Cam Win User
    Slow download speed fast upload on Ethernet.

Hi

If a website has a slow server, a fast internet connection may be experienced but may have very slow download speeds. Download speed will be affected with the website server as it also impact your internet connection speed.

You may try a test with other websites and check the results with the website that you are experiencing slow download speed.

Meanwhile, kindly click on this link and find the post created by Santos_Rai
    to troubleshoot network and incoming internet connection.

Kindly post back and share with us the result.

Rey Cam, Oct 31, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

It is not Windows 10. It is either the software. Or your ISP is seeing your monthly use far more than reasonable and placed a soft throttle on your modem/gateway.

bro67, Nov 1, 2015
  5. I get max speed (5-6 MB/s) with torrents pretty much instantaneously, but I can not upload.
    Have you disabled IPv6 as well as other nonsense, like network protocols other than IPv4?

TairikuOkami, Nov 1, 2015
  6. Snaiper Win User
    Let me get this straight.

1. I have unlimited bandwidth and 10Mbps speed (which is approximately 1.2MB/s).
    2. On this PC it worked fine with Windows 8.1 and on another one on Windows 7; this started with the Windows 10 upgrade.
    3. Direct downloads don't seem to be affected, and bandwidth only seems (NOTE: seems; not 100% sure about it yet) to be affected when another PC is turned on (as if Windows 10 is stealing bandwidth through local network connection).
    4. It's not the software if 3 different torrent software are affected just the same.

I've disabled the update sharing thing for PCs outside local network, however I might now disable it for all PCs. Considering this might be the way it's stealing bandwidth.

And how do I do that? I haven't tried any of that. Upload, for me, seems to be fine and as slow as expected.

Snaiper, Nov 3, 2015
  7. Snaiper Win User
    I just wish to inform everyone that out of random these issues just stopped. Everything is fine now.

I think that, after all, it wasn't an issue with Windows 10, but with torrent trackers that had gone down instead.

Than you everyone for helping out!

Snaiper, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 slowing down torrents/downloads - internet speed fine - Similar Threads - slowing down torrents

2. internet faster speed but download slow speed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    internet faster speed but download slow speed: in 10/6/2023 to 11/7/2023 i have download speed so faster 80 mbps to 150 mbps i'm so happy download game in steam and google more. but 11/8/2023 to now my download 22 mbps to 23 mbps but i lock speedtest show faster 80 mbps to 150 mbps. how to fix it? i want speed faster As...
  3. Fast Internet Speed, slow download speed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fast Internet Speed, slow download speed: Hey guys, so my internet speed is around 60 mbps but I only get 1-5 mb/s when I download games on Steam or Battlenet. My OS is Windows 11 up to date, drivers are updated, and I’m currently running a Malware scan. PC is wired and I can’t seem to go past 5 mbs where as my Xbox...
  4. Slow download speed, but internet is fine outside of computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Slow download speed, but internet is fine outside of computer: So recently i have been having issues with my computer, it randomly dropped the download speed from 40mb/s to under 10mb/s but when i test the internet speed outside of my computer, im still getting 40mb/s on my phone and other devices. Ive tested and tried many solutions but...
  5. Slow download speed, but internet is fine outside of computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slow download speed, but internet is fine outside of computer: So recently i have been having issues with my computer, it randomly dropped the download speed from 40mb/s to under 10mb/s but when i test the internet speed outside of my computer, im still getting 40mb/s on my phone and other devices. Ive tested and tried many solutions but...
  6. Slow download speed, but internet is fine outside of computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Internet download speed slow.

Internet download speed slow.: PC originally Win 8.1 - updated to Win 10. Have superfast broadband. Internet download speed significantly reduced/throttled. Can only be rectified by going into Safe Mode with Networking. What is the cause of this? Is it possible to restore full download speed in Normal...
  8. My internet speed slowed down.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My internet speed slowed down.: So I've always had a healthy 100 mbps internet speed on my PC. This all changed when I reinstalled windows 10 and did a speed test for fun. I was not expecting a sudden bump to a beefy 500 mbps. So that's how my internet was for a while, at a beefy 500 mbps, until today... My...
  9. Updates Slowing Down Internet Speed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Updates Slowing Down Internet Speed: I have a rather fast internet connection, can't really tell the tech stuff as I am not that techsavvy. But lately everytime an update is ready to be installed, my internet is extremely slow for some reason, most of the time when I install updates it always says "Undoing...
  10. internet speed slows down

internet speed slows down: I have an old Dell XPS system running Windows 10pro Using a Broadcom gigabit ethernet card. I am hard wired directly to the WOW modem and do get speeds of up to 550mbps. But after a while, anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours, it starts to slow down to under 100. Every time...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 slowing download speeds