Windows 10: Windows 10 solving homegroup issue

Discus and support Windows 10 solving homegroup issue in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I own an hp desktop and a Dell laptop. Both operate on Windows 10. There is an option to create a homegroup for file sharing between computers but both... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ethelhodg, May 26, 2016.

1. ethelhodg Win User

Windows 10 solving homegroup issue

I own an hp desktop and a Dell laptop. Both operate on Windows 10. There is an option to create a homegroup for file sharing between computers but both computers, when this process has been tried, get messages saying unable to create a homegroup on this computer. I need to be able to share between computers for school and work. I've searched and I've tried everything. Thank you in advance!

:)

ethelhodg, May 26, 2016
  2. JOBINAY Win User

The 4 pc's can see each other but they cannot join the homegroup. can no longer detect a homegroup on this network".

Hi. Is there anybody who can help me solve this issue with Windows 10 Homegroup Network? The 4 pc's can see each other but they cannot join the homegroup I've created. I've tried it to the different pc's but still getting the same result..."windows can no
    longer detect a homegroup on this network". This is really killing our time because we only have 1 printer in the office.

Please do help me and give me solutions to solve this issue. thanks and more power.

OP - Windows 10 Homegroup Network

JOBINAY, May 26, 2016
  3. Homegroup is currently unavailable

I'd been having this issue with Homegroup, so I removed all PCs from Homegroup and rebuilt it. The issue was still there. It is as follows: If try to open Homegroup from the Start menu, I get the folder on the left. Notice the actual Homegroup near the bottom
    of the folder tree. Clicking that open the fully functioning Homegroup seen on the right.

Windows 10 solving homegroup issue [​IMG]

To pre-empt: Windows 10 PC, fully updated. Homegroup troubleshooter did not solve. sfc \scannow did not solve.

TheGreatestAjax, May 26, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

It is falled File/Folder and Printer shares. Homegroup just sets up a secured share between two or more Windows computers.

bro67, May 27, 2016
  5. ethelhodg Win User
    So how do I set this up? I need to be able to share files. Does anyone know?

ethelhodg, May 29, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Called, not falled. Fat thumbs. Everyone knows how to setup Home Groups. It is in Network settings when you right click on the network icon where the time is.

If you want standard secure network shares, you have to enable in Advanced network settings and then on the folders you want to share. You have to right click, properties, share.

All of this is in the tutorials.

bro67, May 29, 2016
  7. ethelhodg Win User
    I have tried a few times but both computers say a homegroup can not be set up on them. Maybe it's the advanced network settings that's stopping it? I'll give your suggestion a try tonight. Thank you!

ethelhodg, May 29, 2016
  8. bro67 Win User

That actually happens a lot. It can either be Registry or Internet Security software blocking the port and IPv6, which Home Group relies on for it to work.

Easier to use a NAS for file sharing. Printer sharing can be done with certain Gateways and NAS devices or on the printer itself if it is Wifi or Ethernet capable.

bro67, May 30, 2016
  9. ethelhodg Win User
    Let's pretend you are explaining this in a book titled "Setting Up A Homegroup For Dummies." I am that dummy. I need step by step, in layman's terms, instructions on what I need to do. Can anyone help me?

ethelhodg, May 30, 2016
  10. johnrxx99 Win User
    I have the same problem in a new PC W10 installation trying to connect with a W10 laptop. The laptop could network with the PC when it was using Windows 7 but with the PC on Windows 10, it says, unable to create a homegroup on this computer.

All files and disks are set to share on both machines. When I try and set up the homegroup from the laptop, it says the other computer is is OK but may be asleep or turned off.

So I agree, a problem solving set up of a homegroup for dummies would be a good idea.

By the way, in advanced networking, network discovery is on, file and printing sharing is on and homegroup connections is on use user account as the first choice, allow Windows to manage connects didn't work either.

When I use the Homegroup troubleshooter, it says some problems are network related, try the network troubleshooter. When I do that it says it couldn't identify a problem.

So, it is a technical issue, which is why I'm here. I could send the troubleshooter report details if that would help.

johnrxx99, May 30, 2016
  11. johnrxx99 Win User
    What exactly is the port homegroup uses? I have Kaspersky and can clear ports if needed. Also, on IPv6, what are homegroup's requirements?

Why is it easier to use an NAS? My PC has 10TB of storage so why do I need remote storage?

johnrxx99, May 30, 2016
  12. johnrxx99 Win User
    Well, while I still can't get the homegroup to work, I've managed to allow all my computers to access each other. Even though my PC has 10tb storage I also have a NAS.<br><br>One issue was on Kaspersky firewall - it though my wireless and ethernet connections were public. Changing them to private was one step.<br><br>Then came the credential manager. Deleting all the windows credentials and adding them back with the same passwords and user names sorted it. You have to be careful about user names. While my laptop had John as the name in user accounts, in user profile it showed as johnpc. I used that with the generic password hey presto, they all connect, PC, laptop and NAS.<br><br>So there is no need for homegroup. What a waste of time as none of the Windows 10 forums got anyway near sorting my issue.

johnrxx99, May 30, 2016
  13. johnrxx99 Win User

Well, while I still can't get the homegroup to work, I've managed to allow all my computers to access each other. Even though my PC has 10tb storage I also have a NAS.

One issue was on Kaspersky firewall - it though my wireless and ethernet connections were public. Changing them to private was one step.

Then came the credential manager. Deleting all the windows credentials and adding them back with the same passwords and user names sorted it. You have to be careful about user names. While my laptop had John as the name in user accounts, in user profile it showed as johnpc. I used that with the generic password hey presto, they all connect, PC, laptop and NAS.

So there is no need for homegroup. What a waste of time as none of the Windows 10 forums got anyway near sorting my issue.

johnrxx99, May 30, 2016
  14. bro67 Win User
    There really is no other way to explain it. The dummy books are written at a 6th grade reading level like the news.

You can find the info in the Tutorials for hwo to setup Home Groups. Personally I like using a NAS. It is a lot more secure and you can control the user access, depending on which one you go with.

You can get a Intel Core 2 Duo pretty cheap these days and throw in a small SSD to handle the File share. The attach a external drive for storage. The whole setup would run on FreeNAS.

bro67, May 31, 2016
  15. bro67 Win User
    Yes it is a whole lot easier to use a NAS for media and file storage. Each user would only be able to access what you want them to.

bro67, May 31, 2016
Thema:

1. Windows 10 solving homegroup issue - Similar Threads - solving homegroup issue

2. Homegroup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Homegroup in Windows 10: I have just changed my desktop to windows 10. I had two other laptops set up in a homegroup with my old windows 7 system and now I can't access these from my desktop and my printer will not work when I send from my laptops. Any ideas?...
  3. Homegroup in 10 window

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Homegroup in 10 window: I make to creation homegroup in 10 window , try do it and I dont understand how to do with the code for use another pc to access the homegroup , how do i fix to make first homegroup and the code of password for another pc use into homegroup ? where do i get how step to step...
  4. Homegroup and Windows 10

Homegroup and Windows 10: I have Homegroup network and one windows-10 computer. Question 1) Has Microsoft announced a standard method to connect Windows-10 to Homegroup network? Is Microsoft working this issue or ignoring it? Question 2) I am using Dropbox to connect Windows-10 to computers on...
  5. Windows 10 Homegroup Network Issue

Windows 10 Homegroup Network Issue: Hi, after the latest patch i can no longer access my network locations for example my laptop can no longer access shared folders on my main pc and vice versa, it is a really weird issue one that i newer had before and its a pretty big one :(, hopping you can help me out....
  6. Windows 10 Homegroup

Windows 10 Homegroup: How do I get to my Homegroup in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-homegroup/13269ef9-240e-4410-b5d7-937285b38ef2
  7. How to solve frustrating homegroup problem

How to solve frustrating homegroup problem: Im running w10 on a desktop and laptop and having problems connecting to my homegroup (HG) but having problems setting up a homegroupUsing my old pw did not work. When I tried to set up another HG I was given a new pw, but entering it on my laptop I received user name and pw...
  8. Windows 10 Homegroup ?

Windows 10 Homegroup ?: Have they removed this feature? My main computer is still Windows 7, and running the main homegroup. Just curious. 10139
  9. homegroup issue

homegroup issue: Hi. I set up a home group last night between my 2 PCs (desktop which i will call PC1 and laptop which I will call PC2) last night and a printer. Everything was working correctly after I shared everything on printers, C:..etc. This morning when I booted up all 3 devices I...
  10. Homegroup Display issue

Homegroup Display issue: Hello. Just curious if there is any way to change the way Home group displays computers in explorer? At present it seems to nest the computers in user accounts. I'm hoping there is a way to stop this behavior and just display the computers themselves. Thank you 33380