Windows 10: Windows 10: Some privacy settings grayed out

Discus and support Windows 10: Some privacy settings grayed out in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi guys, I've been using Windows 10 for a few weeks now and I was looking to get Cortana to work. However, Cortana tells me that I need to allow it to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SSonic70, Aug 17, 2015.

1. SSonic70 Win User

Windows 10: Some privacy settings grayed out

Hi guys, I've been using Windows 10 for a few weeks now and I was looking to get Cortana to work. However, Cortana tells me that I need to allow it to access contacts. I clicked settings and I saw that all the settings were on, but were grayed out.

Windows 10: Some privacy settings grayed out [​IMG]

When I take a look at some of the other settings, some are also grayed out and some are not. When I go to the general tab, I get this:

Sometimes if I look through the privacy settings, the settings app just crashes for no reason without warning and I'm left confused and unable to enable Cortana.

I hope I've given enough info that can be used to solve my problem. Any help is appreciated, thanks! *Smile

:)

SSonic70, Aug 17, 2015
  2. Abi99 (2) Win User

lumia windows 10 contacts privacy was grayed out

For those coming from an Internet search: Microsoft Answers has a main thread about this issue… when
    you read this, there might be an easier solution posted. However, as of today, no other workaround is known as to reset the phone.
    By this, you do not loose Windows 10 Mobile.

For this, please,
    continue there…

Abi99 (2), Aug 17, 2015
  3. lumia windows 10 contacts privacy was grayed out

I did reset the phone and it works but the "glance screen" under Extra was gone so I can't disable the Time on screen ......

new-inst-e2k7, Aug 17, 2015
  4. hiphopper Win User

Are you on a corporate domain with settings managed by group policy manager?

hiphopper, Aug 17, 2015
  5. bro67 Win User
    For the OP. You would need to have an App or program with contacts in it. Otherwise, it will always be grayed out, if there is nothing associated in Default programs or contacts do not exist.

bro67, Aug 17, 2015
  6. bro67 Win User
    Has nothing to do with the OP issue. If you do not have an app or program with contacts in it. You will get a grayed out setting.

bro67, Aug 17, 2015
  7. mine was the same way some settings were greyed out but I uninstalled the factory hp stuff that didn't work so I reinstalled the hp stuff then went thru the settings on those programs and then uninstalled again .. got rid of the greyed out stuff so I could manage them myself

icpwolverine, Aug 17, 2015
  8. SSonic70 Win User

I'm not on a corporate domain. This is my home computer, which I'm the administrator of.

I find that odd because I got Cortana to work a few weeks ago without needing any further setup, but only now does it asks me to turn on the ability for apps to use my contacts.

SSonic70, Aug 17, 2015
  9. sgage Win User
    Under Settings/Privacy/Feedback&Diagnostics, did you set 'send service data to Microsoft' to basic (vs. full)? When I set it to 'basic' I had the exact same symptoms as you. When I set it back to 'full', all was good again...

sgage, Aug 17, 2015
  10. That's not how you enable Cortana anyway...

Click on Cortana -> Notebook -> Settings

fracking4oil, Aug 17, 2015
  11. You DO enable Cortana via the method you are pointing out here in the image, HOWEVER... when you enable Cortana it asks you to "pickup where you left off" and enable the privacy settings for contacts and takes you straight to the settings page where the items are greyed out.

Was this ever actually resolved? If it requires apps to function, why is Cortana trying to get me to turn it on repeatedly? All it wants to do is enable the ability to see the contacts. Not app specific permissions.

Am I crazy? I have been having this issue for a week now trying to resolve it and finally stumbled across this age old thread. I figured I would revive it to try and get an explanation.

I am also unable to change my Diagnostic Usage Data from Basic to Full. ALSO..... I am not a part of an Organization. I am using my personal microsoft account on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Freshly installed I might add. (I did a refresh to resolve missing Windows Store application containers.)

leaninonlife, Feb 12, 2016
  12. dalchina New Member
    Hello, this error message is misleading. There are several possible causes. Here's something I picked up and put together last year:

It is quite common. For example, simply changing Privacy settings may mean you see it.

Have a look through the attached which I've gathered from various sources and threads and my own experience. It may help you.. on the other hand, as we're all on a learning curve, you may have encountered a different cause.
    Some settings are managed by your organization.doc

Sometimes, related to this, you may find that some Settings e.g. Privacy, Feedback & Diagnostics, or Location (see e.g. the Location tile in the Action Centre) may not not available (tile greyed out).

And sometimes Cortana is disabled and displays a similar message.

Steps to fix 'Some settings are managed by your organization' in Windows 10

This message may appear at the top of some Settings dialogues, typically Privacy dialogues. There are several possible causes and fixes.

The message is misleading in that it is not necessarily some 3rd party or group policy that is responsible. It can arise simply because you, the user, have altered some Settings. As such it is not necessarily the case that you need take any action.

Case 1. Privacy settings
    You may have chosen to make changes here e.g. with the intention of restricting information transmitted from your PC.

You can remove the message and reset the settings as follows:
    Download and install
    O&O Shutup (freeware)
    OO ShutUp10: download free antispy tool for Windows 10
    Click Actions, Undo all changes.
    Check to see if the message has gone.

Case 2. Using the Diagnostic and usage data setting
    Go to Settings and navigate the dialogues as follows:
    "Settings" -> "Privacy" -> "Feedback & diagnostics" -> "Diagnostics and usage data".

If this is set to "Basic", change it to "Enhanced" or higher.

Hopefully the message "Some settings are managed by your organization" disappears.

Note: Sometimes this option is greyed out.

OR

Case 3. Telemetry, using the Group Policy Editor
    Note: the Group Policy Editor is not available in Windows 10 Home.

https://www.itechtics.com/enable-gpe...ndows-10-home/
    - claims to enable the Group Policy Editor in Win 10 Home.

Make sure you have administrator rights and follow the steps below:

Step 1: Launch a Run dialogue by pressing the Windows key and R simultaneously.
    Type in gpedit.msc and click OK or Enter.
    Step 2: In the Group Policy Editor go to
    Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Data Collection and Preview Builds.
    Step 3: Find the Allow Telemetry item and double-click it to edit the policies.
    Step 4: Change the setting to Enabled.
    Change the drop-down menu entry to 3-Full and click Apply.
    Step 5: Now open the item again and change its Setting to Not configured and hit the Save button.

The message should no longer stop you from accessing various system settings in Windows 10.

Case 4: Disable Telemetry, using the Registry Editor, + disable 2 services
    http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-disab...in-windows-10/

This relates to
    HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection
    And disabling these services:
    Diagnostics Tracking Service
    dmwappushsvc

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    This as a .reg file may help:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection]
    "AllowTelemetry"=dword:00000001

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10: Some privacy settings grayed out - Similar Threads - privacy settings grayed

2. Nightlight settings are grayed out

in Windows 10 Customization
    Nightlight settings are grayed out: My Nightlight is greyed out. The video driver is up to date. So I've tried this instruction. And I've found out that there are no such keys in this folder. What should I do next? Can I create these keys somehow and delete them thereafter? Please help, my eyes are in real pain...
  3. Sync your settings Grayed out

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sync your settings Grayed out: The Icon for turning your Sync settings is Grayed out in the off position will not turn on Please Advise how to correct this. Laptop with news Win 10 download....
  4. Windows 10 settings window grayed out

Windows 10 settings window grayed out: Beginning of the issue was that my spotlight image doesn't change so I follow the steps from the link https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hello/windows-spotlight-lock-screen-picture-wont-change/443cc26c-29f1-4481-80c9-6fb7130f6191 After follow...
  5. Windows Defender settings are grayed out

Windows Defender settings are grayed out: hello, my laptop running windows 10 home 1903 has some windows defender setting greyed out with the message "this setting is managed by your administrator," I'm the only user and have Malwarebytes installed for scanning. everything I've tried hasn't worked. it's really...
  6. Grayed Out Settings In Windows 10 Start Menu

Grayed Out Settings In Windows 10 Start Menu: Hi, I am using Windows 10 education 1809 but i have faced a problem as all settings that suggest something are grayed out such as (Show suggestions occasionally in Start)(Show me suggested contact in the Settings app)(show me the Windows welcome experience after updates and...
  7. Windows 10 unable to gray out proxy settings

Windows 10 unable to gray out proxy settings: Not sure - but my code work a while back with no problems. It seems after a while MS changes something and I am unable to lock down the proxy like before. Anyways, I need to be able to gray out the proxy settings for both limit and administrator accounts. In the registry I...
  8. Privacy settings grayed out after update to 1803

in Windows 10 Support
    Privacy settings grayed out after update to 1803: Hi all, I have multiple machines in my organization that have all privacy settings grayed out(Some settings are hidden by your organization). The worst is that all settings are set to "Off", so no microphone/camera/notifications and etc. These are domain-joined machines, but...
  9. Windows Updates - Advanced Settings - Grayed Out

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Updates - Advanced Settings - Grayed Out: Hi friends, I have an ASUS laptop that had windows 8 home edition. I did the anniversary upgrade to windows 10. Ever since, the windows updates advanced settings is grayed out. Meaning that I cannot set the time when the computer should restart after applying windows...
  10. Disable some privacy settings in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Disable some privacy settings in Windows 10: Howdy, I wanna disable some settings in the Windows 10 Settings. I just must disable them via registry. If anyone know one or some of registry keys for disabling the following items please let me know: Settings > Privacy :: Camera > Let apps use my camera Microphone...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. camera privacy settings grayed out windows 10

2. win10 privacy permissions grayed out

3. windows 10 privacy settings grayed out

4. privacy permissions greyed out,
  5. camera privacy settings grey,
  6. windows permissions greyed out windows 10 privacy settings,
  7. microphone privacy greyed,
  8. let apps use my camera grayed out,
  9. windows 10 let apps use microphone greyed out,
  10. windows 10 camera privacy greyed out,
  11. privacy settings is disabled in windows 10 for camera - how to enable if grayed out,
  12. windows 10 microphone greyed out,
  13. window settings privacy microphone are greyed out in windows 10,
  14. privacy setting sor camera is greyed out in windows 10,
  15. win10 privacy settings greyed out