Windows 10: Windows 10 sooooo sluggish in Windows Explorer...

Discus and support Windows 10 sooooo sluggish in Windows Explorer... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The slowness of Win 10 when navigating in Windows Explorer is unbearable. Why is that little blue wheel always spinning? Is it indexing something,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hannele2, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Hannele2 Win User

Windows 10 sooooo sluggish in Windows Explorer...

The slowness of Win 10 when navigating in Windows Explorer is unbearable. Why is that little blue wheel always spinning? Is it indexing something, searching for something or caching something?

I click to expand "This PC" and have to wait for 10-15 seconds -- why?

I found some silly service called "Quick Access" or something like that. Can I turn it off? Is there anything else that can be slowing it down that I can turn off? It's constantly chugging away at something - don't know what.

It's displaying the text "Working on it". Just discovered that it's still "working on it after I wrote this entire post".
    I still can't see the drives.

:)

Hannele2, Jul 19, 2016

2. Windows 10 Desktop Slideshow Speed Minimum Time Increased from 10 Seconds to One Minute

[Replying to myself] I'll add that the Win Home PC that crashed it's Windows Explorer is shuffling +or- 45,000 photos... The Win 10 Pro PC is only dealing with 7,000 or so, but will still manifest the sluggishness I described eventually.

Peter43228, Jul 19, 2016
  3. Personalising 'File Explorer' Environment and Display (Text Size Etc.)

The Office 365 technical team has figured out how to optionally darken the ribbon background to improve readability, so it can be done.

Sooooo Windows File Explorer team ... "make it so"

Thanks..

DougChozianin, Jul 19, 2016
  4. topgundcp Win User

Possible cause(s):
    • If there's any extra USB HD device connected, temporaily disconnected.
    • Disk drive is corrupted. Run chkdsk /r C: from Admin command. Reboot required and will take a while to run.
    • System file(s) corrupted. From admin command, copy and paste then run:
      Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth&sfc /scannow&pause
    • Incompatibbe Shell Extension(s), try this link:
      Solved File Explorer crashes after Right Click in Desktop - Windows 10 Forums

topgundcp, Jul 19, 2016
  5. Hannele2 Win User
    This is apparently a known bug. The performance is much better if permanently disabling Defender and Search Indexer and some other junk service that's running in the background. But. really - that shouldn't be necessary. If somebody reads this who is affected by this problem and is moderately computer literate - start with googling for stuff to turn off.

The problem is worst when clicking "This PC" in Windows Explorer. It takes several minutes for Windows to figure out that there are 6 disks connected to this PC. It took under one second in flipping Windows XP or earlier.

Hannele2, Aug 16, 2016
  6. Hannele2 Win User
    Hannele2, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 sooooo sluggish in Windows Explorer... - Similar Threads - sooooo sluggish Explorer

2. Windows File Explorer very sluggish and weird issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File Explorer very sluggish and weird issue: Since today i have an issue with the file explorer.Whenever i click something be it folder or any files its even worse with folder and even happens on empty folders for 2-3 seconds theres a constant swapping of loading circle to my mouse cursor until the file is officially...
  3. Windows File Explorer very sluggish and weird issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows File Explorer very sluggish and weird issue: Since today i have an issue with the file explorer.Whenever i click something be it folder or any files its even worse with folder and even happens on empty folders for 2-3 seconds theres a constant swapping of loading circle to my mouse cursor until the file is officially...
  4. Windows File Explorer very sluggish and weird issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Sluggish Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sluggish Windows 10: Hi From a restart, gradually over a few days performance reduces to snail's pace until I do a Shutdown. Have run CCleaner and AVG, which found nothing. Help appreciated....
  6. Windows 10 sluggish response

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 sluggish response: Hi, I have a major issue with my system running Win 10. The system had been upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10. I noticed that it seemed to be taking a long time to boot > 20 mins. I tried running Ashampoo Optimizer and Chk=eck Disk the HDD. There was a short term benefit,...
  7. File Explorer really sluggish and weird

File Explorer really sluggish and weird: About 4-5 months ago I started to notice after an update that file explorer started to act really weird it got sluggish and folders would not show the little preview thumbnails and file would just come up as white squares with no thumbnail or associated programs icon and the...
  8. Windows Explorer Sluggish?

Windows Explorer Sluggish?: I have this issue that's an everyday thing where sometimes when I right click my taskbar icons and no options except "file explorer" and "unpin from taskbar" pop up even though I have history and quick access pins I use daily. Sometimes it's just missing the menu extra...
  9. Windows 10 Sluggish

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Sluggish: I have been getting a strange lagging in Windows 10 lately. I first noticed it when playing an RTS game and the screen scrolling was jumpy. I thought it was the game, but when I dropped to windows, the mouse was laggy there as well. Not by much, but noticable. I also noticed...
  10. Windows 10 suddenly sluggish

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 suddenly sluggish: Checked cpu/gpu/hd/memory usage - normal. Changed swap size to recommended - no changes. Ran SFC and fixed everything - still as sluggish. It seems games are running just fine and all, but the general UI and everything else seems so sluggish (the general response time of...