Windows 10: Windows 10 start button fails, search fails restart fails

Discus and support Windows 10 start button fails, search fails restart fails in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Not cause by virus .. this just started today. I tried a restore point of yesterday .. nothing. I have tried several suggestions from the web but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dtsig, Sep 18, 2015.

1. dtsig Win User

Windows 10 start button fails, search fails restart fails

Not cause by virus .. this just started today. I tried a restore point of yesterday .. nothing. I have tried several suggestions from the web but nothing seems to do it? I know it would be better if i could name them but can't remember the exact commands .. will look for the page again. One dealt with sfc /newscan (or such).

Really need to get this working again .. any ideas or pointers?

:)

dtsig, Sep 18, 2015
  2. zedqed Win User

Right clicking on Start Button and clicking the following items fail to activate Eg. Progarms and Features.

Right clicking Start Button and clicking the following items fail to activate the items:

All items (13) between

Program and Features

and

File Explorer

Search and Run and Shut down activate.

I just install Win 10 yesterday!

Original title: Right click Start button items fail to activate.

zedqed, Sep 18, 2015
  3. recovery fails, reset fails, fresh start fails

After losing Windows Edge yesterday, I tried everything that was posted everywhere I looked to try and fix it.

After hours and hours, I gave up and decided to just reload Windows 10.

Since I was committed to doing that I decided to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro for $100

I tried installing it - and upon reboot it was still Windows 10 Home without the Windows Edge (same problem as I started with).

I also tried Recovery, Reset, and even Fresh Start - all ended with the same "Problem occurred - No changes made".

Finally, I was able to connect remotely with a technician - and they started the reinstall of Windows 10 Pro - still unsuccessful.

At this point it appears I can't wipe, recover, restart or upgrade to a "better" version.

Suggestions?

MichaelAubry, Sep 18, 2015
  4. emeth Win User

Yes, left click on start button and right click on task bar icons does nothing?
    Tried flhthemi's suggestion "Open powershell with admin privileges Copy and paste this line at the PS prompt:
    Get‐AppXPackage ‐AllUsers | Foreach {Add‐AppxPackage ‐DisableDevelopmentMode ‐Register
    "$﴾$_.InstallLocation﴿\AppXManifest.xml"}

Worked once but problem came back and wouldn't work the second time?

Tried the .bat file from AveYo's suggestion, lost my wifi connection and couldn't restart it, had to revert to a previous restore point.

Anyone know a fix for this?

Thanks

emeth, Sep 18, 2015
  5. dtsig Win User
    I did try that but it didn't work. The only way i have to get powershell working in admin mode is to cmd with admin the powershell.

Guess this is what i get for a free os

dtsig, Sep 18, 2015
  6. emeth Win User
    I needed to start an admin console session from the cmd prompt but couldn't find the syntax to start it?

How does one start an admin console session from the "run" cmd prompt?

emeth, Sep 18, 2015
  7. I had this issue a few days ago after an update installed.

Just a few restarts resolved it.

Also, Windows key + R then enter CMD to open the command. It will run in elevated mode by default.

SylenThunder, Sep 18, 2015
  8. emeth Win User

Did several restarts but still nothing happens when I right click on a task bar icon or left click on the Win 10 Start Button?

I have had to use "Start Menu 8" to get to the Applications but it does not solve the problem.

emeth, Sep 18, 2015
  9. emeth Win User
    Ran as suggested and the "Clean-image" is unknown?

emeth, Sep 18, 2015
  10. linw Win User
    It's Cleanup-image.

11. emeth Win User
    Sorry about that, old eyes.

DISM did run, only 20% stopped on error 0x800f081f "the source files could not be found"

emeth, Sep 18, 2015
  12. dtsig Win User
    Yep .. DISM and the powershell thing did error out.

dtsig, Sep 18, 2015
  13. emeth Win User

So, where do we go from here to fix task bar and start button problems?

There must be a setting for both, I would think?

Tried looking for the "task Bar' in the registry but no changeable settings?

emeth, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 start button fails, search fails restart fails - Similar Threads - start button fails

2. Restart fails

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Restart fails: Hey can someone please help me.I was restarting my laptop and suddenly it pops up with windows is getting readyDo not turn off your pcBut after a very long time after an hourIt still remains stuck like that.I forced shut down it and turn it on againAnd it came to desktop.Then...
  3. Windows failed to restart, failed to repair

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows failed to restart, failed to repair: I tried to update my windows drivers manually, and it required a restart. But after the restart windows failed to open and showed a black repairing logo screen. Then it booted in blue screen and showed some options. I tried to reset it a couple of times, and after that the...
  4. Restart Failing

Restart Failing: Hi all, Over the last two weeks, every time I try to restart my computer it gets stuck on the restarting screen but will not actually restart the computer. It leads me to need to force shutdown my surface pro which is becoming more and more an issue because I now have...
  5. Restart fails

Restart fails: Restart freezes at the splash screen and won't load windows. If I restart again it loads. I have: disabled fast start disabled secure boot reset Windows 10 ran the start up troubleshooter and it did not detect the issue Nothing has fixed this. I can't install update...
  6. Windows 10 fails to start.

Windows 10 fails to start.: Displays blue screen "Recovery It looks like Windows hasn't loaded correctly". It fails to recover! How can I create a boot file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-fails-to-start/351adc02-0934-4b8f-ad46-a19e0cb96ee0
  7. Windows 10 Fail to Start

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Fail to Start: [IMG]can someone please help me with this? [Original Title: Windows 10] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-fail-to-start/51d12ce7-0823-4462-bc9b-0774d28fcb6a
  8. Restart button and Windows 10 update fail

in Windows 10 Customization
    Restart button and Windows 10 update fail: In Restart Options the schedule button will not allow me to put it on, also keep trying to update Windows 10, however, it keeps on failing. Have tried troubleshooting and am still having trouble. Any ideas out there?...
  9. Restart failed

Restart failed: I compleatly rebooted my computer. I saved no files. Once I think the process was done. The screen was blank for two hours. I pressed the power button. And I would see the first screen of my start up and then nothing. It will not turn on. I see one screen as if it were going...
  10. Windows 10 fails to start.

Windows 10 fails to start.: [IMG][IMG]When I turned my PC on suddenly it showed blue screen of death and the message was inaccessible boot device. Then automatic repair came and I tried to reset my PC it was showing your pc can't be reset then I tried to boot it into safe mode and nothing is happening...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. start button fails