Windows 10: Windows 10 Start Menu and taskbar not working - Surface Pro 4

Discus and support Windows 10 Start Menu and taskbar not working - Surface Pro 4 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi guys, I just got a Surface Pro 4. I was having no issues, until out of the blue, the taskbar and start menu on it stopped working, and now it's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Michaelvas17, Dec 25, 2015.

1. Windows 10 Start Menu and taskbar not working - Surface Pro 4

Hi guys,

I just got a Surface Pro 4. I was having no issues, until out of the blue, the taskbar and start menu on it stopped working, and now it's an empty, glitched taskbar
    Windows 10 Start Menu and taskbar not working - Surface Pro 4 [​IMG]

I tried to restart the explorer process (which made it worse), restart the machine several times, and nothing has worked.

Quite confused, and not sure what to do.

Any help is appreciated *Smile

:)

Michaelvas17, Dec 25, 2015

2. Surface Pro 4 - critical issue following update

Brand new Surface Pro 4 m3. Critical errors following just 4 automatic updates:

KB3116097

KB3081449

KB3074686

KB3074678

Not working:

Start menu, taskbar, search, notification area, settings etc etc

Unable to access windows update or factory reset

Guidance much appreciated!!

linusscott, Dec 25, 2015
  3. Windows 10 - File Explorer Keeps Crashing

Hey everyone.

I have a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 and lately explorer.ex has been crashing non -stop. Other applications continue working fine, but I can no longer use any of the taskbar, volume (including the physical volume key on the side of the surface) or anything
    within the start menu - even the shortcuts (win+e) don't work!

I've restarted explorer which gets it going at first, but it soon crashes shortly after.

Any help is much appreciated!

2HotPotato, Dec 25, 2015
  4. davidhk Win User

Windows 10 Start Menu and taskbar not working - Surface Pro 4

Suggestion only :

Right click at it > click Command Prompt (Admin) > type powershell > press Enter key.
    At the flashing prompt, copy and paste this command line ( to avoid typo it's best to apply Copy/paste method)......

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

> press Enter.

davidhk, Dec 25, 2015
  5. davidhk Win User
    Adding..............
    Have you by any chance created restore points when the Surface was working perfectly ?

If you have, you can do a system restore. Pick a date when the tablet was working fine as your restore point.
    System Restore Windows 10

davidhk, Dec 25, 2015
  6. I did the Powershell script, and it worked...

It looked like it didn't do anything, but in fact it did when I closed it.

Thanks!

Michaelvas17, Dec 25, 2015
  7. davidhk Win User
    Wonderful. You are welcome.
    Please have a habit to manually create restore point whenever the system is running fine.
    That will save your bacon many times over.

Please mark this thread as Solved.
    Thank you.

davidhk, Dec 25, 2015
  8. vfguy Win User

Hello. I just wanted to say thank you for this fix. helped me solved my problem as well. One point to note. I use a non-windows firewall and this script wouldn't work until I enabled windows firewall.

Thanks again!

vfguy, Apr 13, 2016
  9. Jerseylou Win User
    I have a Surface Pro 3 that just started having this issue last night. Will this solution work on a 3 as well? I'm not techie!

Jerseylou, Apr 21, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    I do not own a Surface Pro.
    But I don't think there is such a big difference between a Pro 3 and a Pro 4 that the method could not be applied to both.

davidhk, Apr 21, 2016
  11. davidhk Win User
    You are welcome.

davidhk, Apr 21, 2016
  12. Jerseylou Win User
    Thank you so much!

Jerseylou, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows 10 Start Menu and taskbar not working - Surface Pro 4 - Similar Threads - Start Menu taskbar

2. Surface pro 4 trackpad not working

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface pro 4 trackpad not working: Help! I have a surface pro model that's built in 2016. The keyboard works but the trackpad stops working after an windows resetting. I wonder if anyone could help me in the right direction? When I check device manager, there is no device related to the trackpad. I wonder...
  3. Windows 10 on Surface Pro 4

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 on Surface Pro 4: I currently own a Surface Pro 4 i5/8gb/256gb that I am considering selling. I am planning to buy a used Surface Pro 4 that has i7/16gb/512gb as an upgrade. My question is: will I have to buy a copy of Windows 10 to install on the used Surface that I buy or do I somehow...
  4. Windows hello not working on surface pro 4

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows hello not working on surface pro 4: Hi everyone i upgraded windows 10 in mysurface pro 4 before upgradin windows hello was working correctly after that it stoped working saying We couldnt find a camera for windows hello i have updated the driver and everything but nothing happend...
  5. Surface book start menu and taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Surface book start menu and taskbar not working: Can hou please help me? I have bought a second hand surface book with clean win 10. Then I started it the taskbar, start menu and Cortana Is not working. I have tried multiple fixes on Google but nothing helps, and I need the computer for my school work! Best regards...
  6. Surface Pro 4 No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge

in Cortana
    Surface Pro 4 No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge: All of the below items don't work: .-Start menu inaccessible .- Search bar doesn't do anything .-Cortana doesn't work .-Can't access windows update "package not registered" Best Regards Terrance...
  7. Surface Pro 4 not working properly.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Pro 4 not working properly.: I've recently started to encounter some issues with my surface pro 4, some apps such as calculator, and alarms don't start. they'll pop up then close by itself immediately after. the photos app was doing the same and i would get an error when trying to open any photo but i...
  8. Surface Pro 4 - No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Surface Pro 4 - No Start Menu, Search, Cortana, Edge: I have a surface pro 4 and recently did a totally clean re-installation for Windows 10.. Machine is just over 12 months old.. and all of the below items don't work: * Start menu inaccessible * Search bar doesn't do anything * Cortana doesn't work * Microsoft edge doesn't...
  9. Surface Pro 4 doesn't start

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Surface Pro 4 doesn't start: I installed the latest insider version 177738. One day later it suddenly stopped to work, doesn't respond. Keeping power button long enough down Windows menu disappears (system closes, i guess). After that i am not able to boot it anymore, even though i've tried every trick...
  10. Surface 4 start menu and notification area stop working

in Windows 10 Support
    Surface 4 start menu and notification area stop working: Hello! I got a new surface4. After debugging and re-installationtion i can't find out of the problem. After a day or 2 everything stop working. Start menu system settings and everything i need. It's a really clean install windows 10 enterprise, office 2016. Just to keep...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. surface pro start menu not working

2. surface start menu not working

3. surface pro taskbar not working

4. my surface pro wont open the start menu,
  5. surface no start menu,
  6. surface pro start menu not opening,
  7. surface pro apps and menu not working,
  8. windows 10 surface pro taskbar not working,
  9. surface pro cant access menu bar at bottom,
  10. task bar not working on surface pro 2,
  11. my task bar not working on my surface pro,